What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My wife changed to decaf tea without telling me once and after 2-3 days I thought I was coming down with flu...

If you feel like this after not drinking caffiene, that's probably a pretty good sign that you should give up caffiene.

Just sayin' :)

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I wonder if suddenly switching to non-alcoholic lager without realising would give you a 'non-alcoholic hangover'?
You could always give it a go & report back for research purposes.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Miyeok-guk with abalone

This seaweed soup is one of my daughter's three favourite foods--she adores the stuff and puts untold quantities away. I have an ability, strange as it may sound, to 'make' myself like a food, and this I've managed so that we can enjoy it together. It's usually cooked with some kind of protein source--often beef--so as I don't eat land-meat, my wife has cooked up a batch with abalone.

This kind of seaweed (Wakame or 'Sea mustard') has a host of health benefits already; coupled with abalone, which is also bursting with nutrients, and swimming in garlic, I can think of few dishes that are better for you (sodium is high, but I'm not eating it every day). Plus, Wakame is an invasive species that spreads like crazy, so there's no shortage of the stuff.

See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakame

The taste is hard to describe: it's very rich and strong, but with a hint of sweetness about it--and the garlic and oil means that you feel a little as if you've just had a satisfying Italian dish once the bowl is empty.

This is pretty close to the version my wife makes:

It has a cultural place in Korea, too, being associated with birth and motherhood. Pregnant women often incorporate it into their diets, and it is very commonly eaten at post-maternity hospitals by new mothers who are recovering. As a result of this, it has an association with birth and is traditionally eaten on one's birthday.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Miyeok-guk with abalone

This seaweed soup is one of my daughter's three favourite foods--she adores the stuff and puts untold quantities away. I have an ability, strange as it may sound, to 'make' myself like a food, and this I've managed so that we can enjoy it together. It's usually cooked with some kind of protein source--often beef--so as I don't eat land-meat, my wife has cooked up a batch with abalone.

This kind of seaweed (Wakame or 'Sea mustard') has a host of health benefits already; coupled with abalone, which is also bursting with nutrients, and swimming in garlic, I can think of few dishes that are better for you (sodium is high, but I'm not eating it every day). Plus, Wakame is an invasive species that spreads like crazy, so there's no shortage of the stuff.

See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakame

The taste is hard to describe: it's very rich and strong, but with a hint of sweetness about it--and the garlic and oil means that you feel a little as if you've just had a satisfying Italian dish once the bowl is empty.

This is pretty close to the version my wife makes:

It has a cultural place in Korea, too, being associated with birth and motherhood. Pregnant women often incorporate it into their diets, and it is very commonly eaten at post-maternity hospitals by new mothers who are recovering. As a result of this, it has an association with birth and is traditionally eaten on one's birthday.
Thete is currently a programme on 'Quest' in the UK about abalone fishermen in New Zealand, all of their catch is sent to the far east and it is really expensive

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Thete is currently a programme on 'Quest' in the UK about abalone fishermen in New Zealand, all of their catch is sent to the far east and it is really expensive

The freshly caught stuff is very expensive--especially the larger shells.

Families who like it often 'team up' and buy batches direct from fishermen.

It's called jeonbok in Korean and is often cooked and served in savoury rice porridge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeonbok-juk

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The freshly caught stuff is very expensive--especially the larger shells.

Families who like it often 'team up' and buy batches direct from fishermen.

It's called jeonbok in Korean and is often cooked and served in savoury rice porridge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeonbok-juk
My mistake, its South Australia not NZ, it pretty dangerous as the abalone are found in areas frequented by great whites, one of the guys brother was killed by a shark and another has huge scars over his head and face where a shark bit him.

img.jpeg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I would recommend... 'ALCAFE, 4 Italian Blend from ALDI - 100% Arabica Ground Coffee. close to £3.00 for 227g.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking and there is a local ALDI.

Nobody shops there though... at least not admittedly...

You can watch people coming out with shopping and instantly putting it into an M&S carrier bag.

Haven't been in there for ages and shall genuinely give this a go!

Just need to find that false beard first... :cool2:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cap Columbie' was my fave for a long time - A nice robust, nutty...
Oh good grief, yes!

Had quite forgotten about that. Many years ago, cousin Rob and myself would have a weekly video games session. That was our coffee of choice - you could stay up all night!

We are talking Commodore Amiga days, so it was a really long time ago!

Duly noted and on shopping list!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Someone from this very board posted this genuine sign on Facebook.

I'd like to order and am trying to get him to give me the name of the place. He shouldn't keep it to himself.

Menu .jpg

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Had lamb kebab for dinner in a restaurant. It was just as good as I remember it was the last time I had the opportunity to visit the restaurant.

Restaurants and bars has just been allowed to open up after having been in lockdown for the last 4-5 months.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Had lamb kebab for dinner in a restaurant. It was just as good as I remember it was the last time I had the opportunity to visit the restaurant.

Restaurants and bars has just been allowed to open up after having been in lockdown for the last 4-5 months.
Im guessing it wasnt an 'elephants leg' variety

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Im guessing it wasnt an 'elephants leg' variety
It was a Turkish restaurant and they use the 'elephant leg' variant. I think most of the Turkish restaurants use that variant here in Oslo. Of course, they also serve shish kebabs.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Raw milk - was given 6 liters today. Tastes lovely but I've no idea what to do with it apart from putting it in tea. Any suggestions?

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Raw milk - was given 6 liters today. Tastes lovely but I've no idea what to do with it apart from putting it in tea. Any suggestions?
Milk freezes well.

You could make a great creamy rice pudding.
Lashings of custard.
Cheese sauce for lasagne, cauliflower cheese, mac & cheese etc