What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
4F19631C-2175-41F5-AAD0-85BA92AD0EC5.jpeg

Cooked us sea bass fillets in a fresh herb and garlic sauce.
Quite tasty.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Last night I scored a load of veggie salads and stuff. Had some just now, including a Butternut Squash Falafel, which I now notice with interest wasn't a salad but a ready meal that required heating. Techy is now convinced I will soon die of food poisoning.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I've had a bit of a bargain fish binge in the last couple of days, so there is salmon, sea-bass and swordfish, already cooked and ready to flake.

I plan a kedgeree-type dish with golden rice, rose-water and saffron. Some of the Japanese condiments - Mirin and Yakitori* - may find their way into this.

Perfect fare for a warm evening! :loveu:

*I have discovered that this sauce contains some wheat. Hopefully, fermented with the soy. It's a new one for me but the ginger-garlic, sweet-sour taste is very nice!

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Raw milk - was given 6 liters today. Tastes lovely but I've no idea what to do with it apart from putting it in tea. Any suggestions?
The pull-out from the November 1957 HOUSEWIFE recommends Cream of lettuce soup, Cream of curry Soup, Watercress and potato soup, Spaghetti and Tomato souffle (I think someone was taking the p*ss), egg nog and iced coffee. There is also a 7-day Milk Diet which seemed to be a glass of milk a day with whatever you can find in the cupboard. Which is like my normal menu but without the milk.

Milk_0341.jpg Milk_0343.jpg

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of milk. A glass with breakfast, one with the evening meal and another with the nightcap. That would have me gurgling, popping and whizzing all night long. We usually have two meals a day, breakfast and either lunch or dinner, depending on our plans for the day.
I think the last time we had three or four meals a day was on an ocean cruise and I waddled off at the end with some very tight fitting shirts.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
a 7-day Milk Diet
D'ya think that, just maybe, there was some kind of massive milk surplus at the time?

Edit - I have just noticed that it was produced by the 'National Milk Publicity Council'.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
D'ya think that, just maybe, there was some kind of massive milk surplus at the time?

Edit - I have just noticed that it was produced by the 'National Milk Publicity Council'.
When I was a child milk was relatively expensive (so I'm told) and we kids weren't allowed much of it, to the extent that I personally never became used to drinking it.

Even now the thought of swigging it makes me queasy. It's sorta thick, innit.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
When I was a child milk was relatively expensive (so I'm told) and we kids weren't allowed much of it, to the extent that I personally never became used to drinking it.

As a child, whenever we went to a cafè or restaurant i would always have a glass of milk rather than pop.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

I didn't drink much of it as a child, mainly because refrigeration back then was pretty poor.
These days, I'm quite happy to quaff a pint of milk straight from the fridge, but I'm not really in the habit of buying it very often.
Only buy it if I'm expecting a fussy old-fashioned friend to visit who prefers proper milk in their tea (rather than the long-life stuff).

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Only buy it if I'm expecting a fussy old-fashioned friend to visit who prefers fresh milk in their tea instead of a stinky liquid with clotted lumps in it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I won't have people drinking milk from a glass milk bottle in front of me. The rim of the bottle can be chipped so they'd cut their mouth, and there can be lumps of glass sliding around in the bottom of the bottle. I have seen both these things.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Only buy it if I'm expecting a fussy old-fashioned friend to visit who prefers fresh milk in their tea instead of a stinky liquid with clotted lumps in it.

Some people'd pay folding money for that.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Saùtèd potatoes, mmm my favourite :)
Those ones on the photo are very neat, aren't they? It never occurs to me to cut them into squares. :chuckle:

Still, they taste just as good with S/V/K.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Are they boiled/steamed first, then fried? I like those.
Peeled, cubed then in a wide pan with a lid for 20 minutes before uncovering and browning them off all over for another 15 to 20 minutes. No par boiling but I do have a great recipe for pre boiling whole spuds then letting them cool right off before peeling and chopping. Very nice if you remember to start the spuds early in the day.

FunkyTT

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

I've never been able to stomach milk either. Awful stuff.

Cow juice I call it.

Yuk!

I try keep my milk phobia quiet in front of my son though. He likes it. I know it's good for you , but I just can't.,I try get daily yogurts eaten for the missed calcium .

Got some good ice cream in at the moment. Mint chocolate chip.

Thorntons shops have all shut down . The 3.5 litre ice cream tubs they had in store for cones are now been sold off at the local Jack Fultons frozen foods for £2.

Jack Fultons is full of bargains. A lot of catering industry stuff going for peanuts.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I bought a big bag of chicken thighs; there are fourteen of them, so they were divided between two yogurt marinades: standard Tandoori and a North African accented one with Harissa, Ras al Hanout etc. :)

They have had only a couple of hours to absorb the flavours but it will have to do. I'll have a couple of each tonight and the rest can sit in their aromas for another day!

Last edited:

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today was work from home day, therefore no packed lunches but we did have the second half of a Lamb Shank Rogan Josh (courtesy Vivek Singh) with oven roasted Aloo Gobi (courtesy Mallika Basu)
The aloo gobi takes about 40 minutes in the oven, plenty of time to warm through a couple of lamb shanks. Bit of a midweek treat. I know, I know, I know...cut out the carbs, but this was super easy after a long day in front of a PC (and I would love to be anywhere than in front of a PC).

23639D51-7C4B-414B-A0A7-5FE936A9B13A.jpeg