Salad -

1 pack cherry tomatoes
1 pack endgame beans
2 boiled eggs
2 fresh avocados
Pasta spirals
1 pot pesto
Mayonnaise

Ate the LOT. Then Techy showed me some coconut biscuits, mmmmm.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I was thinking of that cheerful Beckett play where they all live in dustbins after a nuclear exchange . . .

Anyhow, I have also been out on a Sunday bargain-hunt and came home with a good bag from the veg. department.

1 bag Chantenay carrots, 10p.
1 bag fresh curry leaves, 10p.
1 pack shiitake mushrooms, 10p.
1 bag chopped leeks, 10p.
1 pack = 2 big sticks rhubarb, 10p.
2 x bulbs fennel, 10p. and 28p.

The lady at the till noticed the anomaly in fennel-pricing and reduced it to . . . 10p!

None of these required a great deal of work to refresh and prep.

The leeks and one of the fennel bulbs are in the oven as a gratin with some olive oil, lemon and fresh herbs - from another raid.

It's ages since I had rhubarb and these big, blotchy stems reminded me of the home-grown type. I peeled them and spiced them. They are right good as pan-cleaners! I might add a crumble-topping but the stems have tenderized a treat and I don't want them to "fall."

Pick of the day was the mushrooms. Shiitake mushrooms often look dried-out and woody, at the best of times, in our shops. These were young ones and still very fresh! Sautéed in butter with a very little grated garlic and ginger, a few drops of Mirin, Takatori and Tamari Soy, they have made an ideal appetizer. I keep returning to the bowl, so there will be precious little left by suppertime! :)

To drink. I snapped up 2 bottles of Cune 2015 Rioja, since it was going for £2.99 a pop. Now I think I should have "invested" in more of it! :crazy:

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I normally only use Tesco's Finest or Morrison's Best Assam tea-bags, but ran out at Work today (Office @30C and 90% humidity). I went scavenging and found some organic (cynical marketing ploy playing on fear) Fairtrade (undercutting your fellow scratch-farmers through subsidies) bio-degradable (dissolves in water), unbleached (cardboard brown) tea-bags of indeterminate blend and vintage.
It was the best tea I've ever had. Dammit.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
If I buy a whole fish from Tesco - it is often a sole or plaice or a turbot - it is gutted.

Despite a lot of blood around the gills, today's whole "Yorkshire Trout" from Morrisons was entire.

I'm not squeamish about the process but it did lead to a sudden faff in the sink, as the oil was over-heating.

Luckily the thing was in good condition and proved to be the ideal breakfast - around 4.30 pm. :p

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
One thing I've never tried is a pickled egg. Saw someone on TV eat one recently and thought You know, I might do some of those!

They are easy to make. You just hardboil some eggs, cool'em off, shell'em and lob'em in a jar of vinegar, what's difficult about that?
I could give it a go.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
One thing I've never tried is a pickled egg. Saw someone on TV eat one recently and thought You know, I might do some of those!

They are easy to make. You just hardboil some eggs, cool'em off, shell'em and lob'em in a jar of vinegar, what's difficult about that?
I could give it a go.
My local pub used to sell pickled eggs, i like 'em :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My local pub used to sell pickled eggs, i like 'em :)
Yup, I've often seen them in pubs. Never bought one because, well, I dunno!

I have a suspicion that I'll like them a lot when I do try them. Not having a sweet tooth, I'm drawn to sour and bitter things.*

*Like my first marriage.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Quite possibly the most delicious breakfast ever.

Generations of Scottish families know it simply as, 'cheese and egg'!

IMG_20210609_065615~2_resize_19.jpg

Essentially scrambled eggs with grated cheese melted therein. :)

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
'Cap Columbie' was my fave for a long time - A nice robust, nutty, strong flavour.
Duly convinced, I decided on this.:

IMG_20210609_073256~3_resize_92.jpg

It's not the smooth coffee I set out seeking advice upon, as an alternative to Kenco Smooth, which as mentioned I was finding slightly too bitter.

Nonetheless, it will adapt splendidly for now - superb and definitely one for first thing in the morning!.

I tried an experiment with a, 'double spoonful' and have stuck with that - first cup only though!

A wake-up call and then some... :freak:

Last edited:

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Duly convinced, I decided on this.:

View attachment 40510

It's not the smooth coffee I set out seeking advice upon, as an alternative to Kenco Smooth, which as mentioned I was finding slightly too bitter.

Nonetheless, it will adapt splendidly for now - superb and definitely one for first thing in the morning!.

I tried an experiment with a, 'double spoonful' and have stuck with that - first cup only though!

A wake-up call and then some... :freak:
Just a thought, do you make your coffee with boiling water? If so it will make your coffee taste bitter, i always boil the kettle and leave it 5 minutes before pouring it over a metal spoon stood in my mug.

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just a thought, do you make your coffee with boiling water? If so it will make your coffee taste bitter,
What an interesting point.

Yes, boiling water always!

Had a Google about this and the answer seems to be dependant on whether you are using ground coffee or instant, for example:

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-...over-instant-coffee-actually-burns-the-coffee

Seemingly it doesn't make a difference with instant coffee because the coffee beans are already, 'dead'.

So, I'm drinking, 'dead coffee' then?

Oh that's just terrific, now I have go buy a, 'proper' coffee maker.

Mind you, I see they are actually inexpensive and off to my local Argos thus appears to be imminent!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Quite possibly the most delicious breakfast ever.

Generations of Scottish families know it simply as, 'cheese and egg'!

View attachment 40512

Essentially scrambled eggs with grated cheese melted therein. :)
Had a bloke who used to bake a version of that in the oven using an enamel dish. He used the local crumbly cheese which gave a slightly granular texture. It was just delicious.

I've tried many times but couldn't make it like his. Met him again and asked him, and he said I was missing out finishing it under the grill.
Tried that, still not as good. :dunno:

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
What an interesting point.

Yes, boiling water always!

Had a Google about this and the answer seems to be dependant on whether you are using ground coffee or instant, for example:

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-...over-instant-coffee-actually-burns-the-coffee

Seemingly it doesn't make a difference with instant coffee because the coffee beans are already, 'dead'.

So, I'm drinking, 'dead coffee' then?

Oh that's just terrific, now I have go buy a, 'proper' coffee maker.

Mind you, I see they are actually inexpensive and off to my local Argos thus appears to be imminent!
Ive made instant with boiling and 'off' the boil water and i can definately tell the difference, worth a little experiment :)

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Dry muesli.

Black Russian tea.