What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I ate a packet of beef flavour Monster Munch today for the first time since I was a school boy. I sell them at work and the temptation was just too great so I cracked a packet open but they weren't as nice as I remembered them .. perhaps they've removed the salt and E numbers etc .. I don't know but they were a disappointment. I might try and find a pack of pickled onion Space Raiders now, I can't stand all these new healthy option 'made from carrots' type crisps.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I ate a packet of beef flavour Monster Munch today for the first time since I was a school boy. I sell them at work and the temptation was just too great so I cracked a packet open but they weren't as nice as I remembered them .. perhaps they've removed the salt and E numbers etc .. I don't know but they were a disappointment. I might try and find a pack of pickled onion Space Raiders now, I can't stand all these new healthy option 'made from carrots' type crisps.
The taste has been removed from most things now.
It'll be insect crisps next.
:omr:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pitta bread pizzas - homemade tomato sauce, cheese, bacon, chilli flakes, mushrooms, onions, chilli flakes... and chilli oil! Nice!

With a big salad and an Aussie chardonnay. Well, it was a post football meal...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
(Re attached image)
How extraordinarily Fortean.

During discussions on the thread 'Rendlesham Forest Incident', I recently highlighted that two of the earliest accounts re our purported, 'landing marks', both described them as being similar to a coffee can having been depressed into the ground.

This was a plaster cast taken and to the right-hand side, we can see a ruler. :)

1623232869627_resize_60.jpg

Screenshot_20210610-082539_resize_0.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
How do they create these masterpieces?
i have a vague memory of my gran - she left this realm when I was only little (4 years old ?) - on late dad's side of the family.

He had 5 sisters and I so remember him telling me about his mum's Scoth Broth soup, how all 5 sisters when adults used to watch gran making the soup and took in every detail.

'It never tasted anything like your gran's soup, son'... :)

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
i have a vague memory of my gran - she left this realm when I was only little (4 years old ?) - on late dad's side of the family.

He had 5 sisters and I so remember him telling me about his mum's Scoth Broth soup, how all 5 sisters when adults used to watch gran making the soup and took in every detail.

'It never tasted anything like your gran's soup, son'... :)
Well no wonder really, when you consider that most of the ingredients that your Gran would have used in her day have also changed in taste! Carrots (store Carrots) that fall short of the home-grown variety, veg that is sprayed with all sorts of stuff, stock so-called that comes in foil wraps, etc, etc.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well no wonder really, when you consider that most of the ingredients that your Gran would have used in her day have also changed in taste! Carrots (store Carrots) that fall short of the home-grown variety, veg that is sprayed with all sorts of stuff, stock so-called that comes in foil wraps, etc, etc.
I believe you might have indicated a solution to many a similar fond memory.

Another which has long puzzled is why I remember, circa 1960s, the traditional Scottish Lorne, or 'sliced sausage, as being so tasty.

Even the, 'finest' versions I have tried in more recent years are nothing like the same!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I believe you might have indicated a solution to many a similar fond memory.

Another which has long puzzled is why I remember, circa 1960s, the traditional Scottish Lorne, or 'sliced sausage, as being so tasty.

Even the, 'finest' versions I have tried in more recent years are nothing like the same!
Children's taste buds are more sensitive. Everything seems stronger when you're a kid.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
In fairness I have actualy eaten pig oviduct. And it is really good.
Your have reminded that I occasionally cook calve's liver - recommended as a source of iron - yet have never tried it deep fried.

I would do so imminently....

If not for a slight concern, next time my usename apears on the forums will be under the, 'missing posters' thread.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Despite the popularity of the variety, I am never a fan of carrot and coriander soup. Today's tin from Aldi was sweet and insipid, not much evidence of coriander either. A dash of the Encona pepper sauce helped raise it an inch, mainly on account of the vinegar!

Slices off a honey-glazed ham were succulent but cloying. I see the Applewood Cheddar no longer claims to be a smoked cheese - it contains "smoke flavour." It tastes much as it did - soft and sweet but inclined to be very sticky in the mouth.

I have quite a lot of the ham left and two more packs of the cheese. Some of it will be destined for a sauce with a good dash of mustard.

I have the feeling that caramelized onions would accentuate the sweetness here - not what it needs!

A big bag of parsnips is ready-for-use but this sweetness thing is annoying me a bit today! :thought:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Despite the popularity of the variety, I am never a fan of carrot and coriander soup. Today's tin from Aldi was sweet and insipid, not much evidence of coriander either. A dash of the Encona pepper sauce helped raise it an inch, mainly on account of the vinegar!

Slices off a honey-glazed ham were succulent but cloying. I see the Applewood Cheddar no longer claims to be a smoked cheese - it contains "smoke flavour." It tastes much as it did - soft and sweet but inclined to be very sticky in the mouth.

I have quite a lot of the ham left and two more packs of the cheese. Some of it will be destined for a sauce with a good dash of mustard.

I have the feeling that caramelized onions would accentuate the sweetness here - not what it needs!

A big bag of parsnips is ready-for-use but this sweetness thing is annoying me a bit today! :thought:
Chuck on something salty to counteract the sweetness?
Lea and Perrins?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)