What Are You Eating & Drinking?

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am a finicky eater, but one time in the past I tasted duck at a friends house.

I thought I was going to die, really heavy grease and a strong game smell.

I will stick to beef dishes.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am a finicky eater, but one time in the past I tasted duck at a friends house.

I will stick to beef dishes.
Duck was one of my favourites when I ate meat/poultry. The only time I didn't like it was when it was bought 'pre-spiced', like with a hoi sin Chinese style flavour for eg.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
It's a fatty meat, for sure, which is why it's not, normally, hung, like other game.

The main disappointment, for many first-time buyers, is that there is a lot less flesh than fat!

Citrus and cherries have been traditional Western accompaniments - plum-sauce and spices
have been the Chinese responses, turning the fatty skin into a delicacy, as a separate course. :)

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)

When I had a Hungarian lodger, she was quite fond of food, so at Christmas she used to a go a bit over-the-top.
(One year she bought a whole suckling pig. That was damned tasty though, and the crackling was superb.)
But on a few occasions she bought a whole duck.
And she knew how to cook it properly too - spatchcocked on a wire tray above a deep baking tray, smothered in salt, and cooked in the bottom of the oven on a low heat for a few hours.
Every so often the fat would get poured off into a jug (there was a lot of fat) and that was used on the roast potatoes.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I can still remember having slices of cheap white bread with the fat (dripping) from the sunday roast beef (or whatever we had) as a 'treat'.
White sludge with flecks of black and brown in. Yum.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I can still remember having slices of cheap white bread with the fat (dripping) from the sunday roast beef (or whatever we had) as a 'treat'.
White sludge with flecks of black and brown in. Yum.
I have heard of bread and dripping, but never had it as far as I'm aware - (although my mother told me that when I was young I once ate rabbit and I don't remember that, so it's possible!)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I have a memory of having Bread and Dripping while watching an Avengers episode where Steed was being hunted and all he had was a single bullet and no gun. He pushed the bullet into a hole in a fence and as the assassin approached, tapped it with the handle of his brolly - killing his opponent.

The two things are forever linked in my mind. I can smell and almost taste the deliciousness of it all now.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A right old mishmash -

A slice of beetroot & ricotta flan/quiche which they gave me at the bakery when I bought bread & they were near closing & would’ve thrown it away - very nice

Apricot & chestnut stuffing made for Christmas. I had enough of the mixture to make a large & small one. Not bad at all.

Sausage rolls also made for Christmas - had to try them. Yum.

Finished off with home made apple turnover.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Rain gave me the excuse to stay in and postpone the horrors of Christmas shopping one more day.

A very late breakfast was easily-organized: the last of the herrings in sour cream with a slice of toasted GF bread and butter.

Two hours ago, I polished off a snacky-plateload of Emmental, Brie, green olives, sun-dried tomato pieces and some pea-shoots - all lightly dusted over with cayenne. A glass of Soave accompanied.

Now, I am contemplating a batch of Pho, as I have a chunk of char-siu pork belly that needs using. Only snag might be the spiciness too close to bedtime. I could always stay up late, I suppose . . . :thought:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Now, I am contemplating a batch of Pho, as I have a chunk of char-siu pork belly that needs using. Only snag might be the spiciness too close to bedtime. I could always stay up late, I suppose . . . :thought:
Pfft, ain't you youngsters 'eard o'Gaviscon?
(Omeprazole is also good.)

Here's a Gaviscon advert.

I remember the two firemen with the unidentifiable accents holding hands and scooting off together in one of the ads but can't find it now.
There are some rather rude parodies though. :chuckle:

Trevp666

Reaction score
herrings in sour cream (...) Emmental, Brie, green olives, sun-dried tomato pieces and some pea-shoots - all lightly dusted over with cayenne (...) a batch of Pho
I hope you put your belly on it's highest alert level?
:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Covid or not, one has to eat so I made a hotpot from left over Christmas goose. Recipe was adapted from a Gressingham duck recipe.
https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/recipes/gressingham-duck-hot-pot/

247CF2D1-D469-480D-B22B-39197D571DF1.jpeg

Also roasted the last butternut from the allotment this year so herself can make some homemade dog biscuits for the hound. No additives, no poison, just good healthy ingredient.

CF2455A8-6AB5-494F-97C6-111286E5DC00.jpeg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Had a tub of chili bean soup. Also some of those new potatoes in butter and herbs that you're supposed to heat up in the microwave for a few minutes but that actually take half an hour

Giant R

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Had a tub of chili bean soup. Also some of those new potatoes in butter and herbs that you're supposed to heat up in the microwave for a few minutes but that actually take half an hour
Yes, its the same with the trays of bombay potatoes that are always a bit crunchy for me if you don't cook them for a lot longer than stated. I find that a not quite cooked potato makes me feel queasy for some reason, especially in mashed potato when they haven't quite been boiled long enough.:omg:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yes, its the same with the trays of bombay potatoes that are always a bit crunchy for me if you don't cook them for a lot longer than stated. I find that a not quite cooked potato makes me feel queasy for some reason, especially in mashed potato when they haven't quite been boiled long enough.:omg:
Yup, we had some boiled ones recently that I'd made and they'd seemed to take hours to cook but were still crunchy.
Depends on the variety of spuds I s'pose.

I love potatoes however they're cooked. :cool:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We've been gutsin'.
Well, it's xmas. :cool:

My new favourite snack is Brie with chili crackers. Honestly, it came to me in a revelation like when the Angel spoke to the shepherds.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We've been gutsin'.

My new favourite snack is Brie with chili crackers. Honestly, it came to me in a revelation like when the Angel spoke to the shepherds.

Sounds good enough to me!

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
We've been gutsin'.

And verily the Lord spake, saying ‘shoppeth thou for Brie. Shoppeth not for Camembert nor other soft cheeses. Cream crackers are an abomination in my sight so choose the chilli ones’.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a Big Mac for the first time in about 10 years a couple of weeks ago.
It was a tiny miniature version of what it used to be and the fries were lukewarm and greasy. Overall, a horrible experience that rifted up on me unpleasantly on the drive home. I’m done with that experience.

Next mission: tell me the Zinger Tower Burger is a travesty of its former self.

Last edited by a moderator:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Not yet, but as soon as my lovely wife turns this into a delicious casserole:

Chinese-Water-Deer-haunch-01.jpg

3¼ lbs. of free range, locally-harvested, low-fat meat, lightly killed by yours truly

Here's his progression from field to fork:

IMG-4383.jpg

Seconds after I took the shot. He's about 130 yards away, near the base of the highest tree in the background, IIRC

IMG-4391.jpg

My firing point was near the edge of the spinney in the middle distance

Almost completed gralloch and initial preparation:

IMG-4408.jpg

A winter scene our ancestors 10,000 years ago would have known (except for the species, which is the introduced Chinese water deer...)

The penultimate stage of the process:

IMG-4411.jpg

Food the way it should be.

maximus otter

Ascalon

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I had too many Christmas veg left over, as catering plans changed due to the pandemic.

Just made carrot and coriander soup, and sprout gratin.
Yum, and indeed, yum.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not yet, but as soon as my lovely wife turns this into a delicious casserole:

Chinese-Water-Deer-haunch-01.jpg

3¼ lbs. of free range, locally-harvested, low-fat meat, lightly killed by yours truly

Here's his progression from field to fork:

IMG-4383.jpg

Seconds after I took the shot. He's about 130 yards away, near the base of the highest tree in the background, IIRC

IMG-4391.jpg

My firing point was near the edge of the spinney in the middle distance

Almost completed gralloch and initial preparation:

IMG-4408.jpg

A winter scene our ancestors 10,000 years ago would have known (except for the species, which is the introduced Chinese water deer...)

The penultimate stage of the process:

IMG-4411.jpg

Food the way it should be.

maximus otter
Don't forget your keys in the door.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

1640872975217.png

Rather a long time to keep frozen meat. Recommended maximum on most sites seems to be 12 months.