What Are You Eating & Drinking?

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
It's a fatty meat, for sure, which is why it's not, normally, hung, like other game.

The main disappointment, for many first-time buyers, is that there is a lot less flesh than fat!

Citrus and cherries have been traditional Western accompaniments - plum-sauce and spices
have been the Chinese responses, turning the fatty skin into a delicacy, as a separate course. :)
Yup. Render. Render. Render. Get that skin so dry it cracks like foil when you tap it with a fork. Mm mm mm. Good poultry. Not the best, but damn fine.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I bought a load of GF pigs in blankets cheap for Techy to munch his way through. He's doing well. :bthumbup:

Today he had some roasted in the oven with fresh chilies, served with potato wedges (flavoured with mixed herbs and paprika) and Heinz tinned child baked beans.

My equally sumptuous lunch was macaroni cheese with steamed sprouts and baby sweetcorn paaarrrrp

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I bought a load of GF pigs in blankets cheap for Techy to munch his way through. He's doing well. :bthumbup:

Today he had some roasted in the oven with fresh chilies, served with potato wedges (flavoured with mixed herbs and paprika) and Heinz tinned child baked beans.

My equally sumptuous lunch was macaroni cheese with steamed sprouts and baby sweetcorn paaarrrrp
Tinned 'child' baked beans.

Oh my! Human beans! Cue very, very old cannibal joke.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Turkey, stuffing, sausage meat and cranberry sauce sandwich, green salad and croutons.

Christmas is now officially done - there's no more turkey, sausage meat or cranberry sauce. Until next year...

The turkey, I'd say, was deliciously tender and moist. Dry? You're cooking it wrong!

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Next mission: tell me the Zinger Tower Burger is a travesty of its former self.
The Zinger is not even on my radar.

This is though….

1640892893917.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Instant noodles (BBQ Beef) in the micowave and for pudding I found a packet of semolina in the cupboard (best before 2018) and that has been poured onto a discounted Kipling mince pie. Main meal will be the traditional smoked oysters on cheese crackers with German white wine nearer midnight (or breakfast if I can't stay awake).

Ascalon

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I would just like to say now, stone cold sober, turkey korma is delicious.
Looking forward to it later.
The turkey absorbs the flavor like nothing else and just becomes so fantastically succulent.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We had spatchcocked poussin as our last meal of the old year, with Parmesan parsnips, roasted rosemary round potato chips and brussels.
I got the chance to christen the Global kitchen shears No. 1 daughter bought me for Christmas to spatchcock the birds.
D97DFDCB-4A00-449D-8A1F-E4398C4B8749.jpeg

Our first dinner of the new year was a very light pan seared salmon with garlic spinach and smashed roasted new potatoes.
0394EFCE-1021-4FFC-AB3C-20C9FBB7428B.jpeg
From Monday we go vegetarian during the week and will be following an anti-inflammatory diet in order to try and reduce the wife’s arthritic pain. Oily fish on Saturdays and meat on Sundays…I wonder how long that will last?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
The final stage of this deer’s journey:

88BA33F2-F8F9-4DF6-ADA6-41016520D08A.jpeg

Slow-cooked, and served with kale, broccoli, root veg, buttery mashed potatoes and mashed swede & carrot.

Fit for a king.

“…he that strikes the venison first/Shall be lord o’ the feast…”

Shakespeare: Cymbeline

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We had spatchcocked poussin as our last meal of the old year, with Parmesan parsnips, roasted rosemary round potato chips and brussels.
I got the chance to christen the Global kitchen shears No. 1 daughter bought me for Christmas to spatchcock the birds.
View attachment 50153
Our first dinner of the new year was a very light pan seared salmon with garlic spinach and smashed roasted new potatoes.
View attachment 50154From Monday we go vegetarian during the week and will be following an anti-inflammatory diet in order to try and reduce the wife’s arthritic pain. Oily fish on Saturdays and meat on Sundays…I wonder how long that will last?
Potatoes with rosemary- beautiful. (I have three rosemary plants on the go).

Sid

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pickling the other half of a Red Cabbage today. Made a four, or five day supply of really nice Carrot Soup yesterday, and having another 'on-the-knee' dish of mince curry (my formulae) tonight . . . cos it's quite tasty, and I can watch the tele at the same time. Might even have time later-on to make myself a trial (local) recipe for making a few caramel pudding's (quick microwave recipe) which I can keep in ramekin dishes in the fridge for later during the week.

Last edited:

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A first for me. I cooked a vegan meal, (veg curry and brown rice)
I have cooked vegan dishes in the past, particularly Indian dishes as part of a dinner party, but this is the first time I have cooked us a vegan meal.

369B46E3-361F-496E-BE20-EE633C034349.jpeg

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Pickling the other half of a Red Cabbage today. Made a four, or five day supply of really nice Carrot Soup yesterday, and having another 'on-the-knee' dish of mince curry (my formulae) tonight . . . cos it's quite tasty, and I can watch the tele at the same time. Might even have time later-on to make myself a trial (local) recipe for making a few caramel pudding's (quick microwave recipe) which I can keep in manikin dishes in the fridge for later during the week.
Manikin? Small chap in fridge? Or ramekin?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Went for a bike ride and made lunch on my return.

Roasted chili chips and crispy potatoes, veggie pigs in blankets, tinned mixed vegetables and veggie gravy. Techy had the same but with steak.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I know the current trend of stuffing stuff into cups of some sort of description could be called a 1st world problem but it gets on my nerves .. a beef burger of some description and then it arrives in a cup? .. I think everyone's (businesses) are just trying to save on paying someone to wash up these days .. I've had baked beans served in cups, all sorts of food served in cups in restaurants or cafes etc .. it's definitely 'a thing' at the moment', probably a covid safety thing which is fair enough ... it all reminds the of that scene in Steve Martin's 70's comedy film The Jerk where he lives on pizza in the cup .. and they were trying to be funny when they wrote this stuff ..

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I had chips in a mug in a fancy pub once.

They came served up in a rust spotted old enamel thing.

I sent it back.
Not enough rust on the cup and the staff member who brought them to your table had had a shower that day I expect. If and when I want street food I'll move to China.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Gnocchi (noki) tonight. Watch Gennaro Contaldo's (oh my my!) recipe on youtube- (pizza oven not necessary.)