What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Homemade pumpkin & sweet potato soup from our freezer with a slice of dry bread, a glass of iced water, a 200mg Meptazimal, a paracetamol and a 50ml sleeper for desert with some chocolate digestives. My appetites crap at the moment so I'm forcing comfort food in. :boxing:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
2 cheese and picallili sarnies with cheeselets
What are cheeselets? Are they like crisps?

I love crisps with sarnies. My favourites are cheese'n'onion. In fact I have a stash of them where Techy can't find them.

Cheese/piccalilli sarnies were my snack of choice when I was expecting my first baby. My then mother in law used to see me coming down the road to visit her and would kindly make me some ready for when I walked in! How very sweet that was of her. She would buy the pickle especially and hide it from everyone else so she could treat me.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Aha, right, little cheese biscuits!

There used to be big jars of mixed pickles too, vinegar with onions and all sorts in. I had a bloke who'd nick just the pickled cauliflower, the total swine!

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Last night was ribeye steak, sweet potato fries, mushroom and cream sauce, broccoli and salad. Tonight's dinner will be lamb steaks with creamed leeks and potato rosti, both meals using up bargain-priced meat from our freezer. Might* involve some wine, too.

* When I say might...

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Negronis are my favourite summer tipple. How to justify the cost? Last year, the Gods came to my rescue when Tesco chose to sell off the line of ready-mixed Negroni. Those were pretty much the real deal, being one-third Campari, one-third (non-specified) gin and one third Rosso.

This year, it was Lidl's turn: their "Bitterol" bitters were on offer for just £5.99. Very nice too, for half the price of Aperol and about a third the price of Campari - albeit Bitterol is 15% like Aperol, not 22% like Campari.

Home for cocktail hour! There was gin but no Rosso. I had to improvise and substituted freshly-squeezed orange juice.

Bliss! Ignore anything I write in the next six hours! :boozing:

Swifty

Negronis are my favourite summer tipple. How to justify the cost? Last year, the Gods came to my rescue when Tesco chose to sell off the line of ready-mixed Negroni. Those were pretty much the real deal, being one-third Cinzanno, one-third (non-specified) gin and one third Rosso.

This year, it was Lidl's turn: their "Bitterol" bitters were on offer for just £5.99. Very nice too, for half the price of Aperol and about a third the price of Campari - albeit Bitterol is 15% like Aperol, not 22% like Campari.

Home for cocktail hour! There was gin but no Rosso. I had to improvise and substituted freshly-squeezed orange juice.

Bliss! Ignore anything I write in the next six hours! :boozing:
I got caught out with a Rosso request not long ago .. I've been a barman long enough, it's not the first time someone's tested me this way but I fell for it again ..

" .. and I'll have a sweet Martini and soda" ..

.. so Cinzanno is sweet and is a vermouth, interchangeable as Martini so that's what I poured ..

*que fake shocked expression from customer's wife*

"Oh .. erm, no ... I meant a Rosso!"

... so my 25 year old manager said "Duh , she said Martini .. the clue's written on the label"

.. then she smirked and said "It's OK, loads of bar people do that !"

I know loads of customers used to do that to test bar staff before my manager was born .. they'd deliberately not say "Rosso" for shits and giggles .. I can't believe I fell for it again nearly 30 years later.

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
'Martini' can mean more than one thing
Mainly it means gin. Buñuel* suggested that there was enough Martini in a "Dry Martini" if you allowed a ray of sunlight to fall through the bottle into the cocktail glass. :oops:

*The celebrated atheist was steeped in Catholic lore - spoiler, his film The Milky Way is entirely constructed from heresies! - in this case, he is alluding to the way artists depicted the conception of Christ, as a ray of light entering the BVM's ear. It was the Word of the Lord, so it could go in any which way it pleased! :p

Last edited:

Swifty

Mainly it means gin. Buñuel* suggested that there was enough Martini in a "Dry Martini" if you allowed a ray of sunlight to fall through the bottle into the cocktail glass. :oops:

*The celebrated atheist was steeped in Catholic lore - spoiler, his film The Milky Way is entirely constructed from heresies! - in this case, he is alluding to the way artists depicted the conception of Christ, as a ray of light entering the BVM's ear. It was the Word of the Lord, so it could go in any which way it pleased! :p
I didn't know all of that religious connection stuff but I somehow feel even more correct now .. thank you James. I know my piss heads.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Just finished one of these.....local brew place that gets some attention in the states.
Citrus mildly hoppy wheat ale...a favorite around here in summer.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A plate of alternating ice-cubes and slices of cucumber, lightly sprinkled with salt and a squeeze of lime-juice.

A few sliced, pickled gherkins kept the whole thing in the family.

When it was done, the expressed juices were so tempting that I lifted the plate and slurped them down! :loveu:

It's dhal and rice next, minimum trouble, as it was made yesterday. :headspinner:

It includes one of the largest bay leaves I have ever seen! Fully six inches long. I hope it is a bay leaf and not some random, poisonous plant chosen to eke out the bag of Indian spices it came in.

A Coonawarra Cabernet is hitting the spot - darker, richer and more tannic than your average Strine red! :yay:

Last edited: