• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Common, Everyday Occurrence Do You Find Strange?

Regarding my comment above on Japanese traffic lights- there is an article about it here that some may find interesting;

This Is Why Japan Has Blue Traffic Lights Instead of Green​

This is what happens when you have one word for two colors.

traffic-light

It’s a lesson most of us learn years before we’re old enough to see over the dashboard: Red means stop, green means go. Simple enough. But what happens when you live in a culture where green also means blue? (By the way, this is why our own traffic light colours are red, yellow, and green.)
Drive around Japan long enough and you’ll probably run into one of the country’s mythical blue traffic lights. Elsewhere around the island you’ll find “go” signals that are decidedly teal, turquoise, and aqua. “Is this signal broken?” you might wonder. “Did some overworked light-monger install the wrong bulbs?” The answer is not in the wiring: it’s in the Japanese language.

Hundreds of years ago, the Japanese language included words for only four basic colors: black, white, red, and blue. If you wanted to describe something green, you’d use the word for blue—“ao”—and that system worked well enough until roughly the end of the first millennium, when the word “midori” (originally meaning “sprout”) began showing up in writing to describe what we know as green. Even then, midori was considered a shade of ao. As you can imagine, this sudden switch-over had lasting effects in Japan. One of the most popular forms of Japanese wordplay is numeric substitution—writing numerals in place of words or letters with the same phonetic value.

Today you’ll still see green things dubiously labeled blue. A fruit vendor might sell you an ao-ringo (blue apple) only to disappoint you that it’s actually green. Likewise, green bamboos are called aodake (“blue bamboos”) and an inexperienced employee who could be described as “green” in America may be called aonisai, meaning a “blue two-year-old.” And that brings us to traffic lights.

Initially, Japan’s traffic lights were green as green can be. Despite this, the country’s official traffic documents still referred to green traffic lights as ao rather than midori. While international traffic law decrees all “go” signals must be represented by green lights, Japanese linguists objected to their government’s decision to continue using the word ao to describe what was clearly midori. The government decided to compromise. “In 1973, the government mandated through a cabinet order that traffic lights use the bluest shade of green possible—still technically green, but noticeably blue enough to justifiably continue using the ao nomenclature.

So, while it may appear that Japan uses blue traffic lights, the government assures us it’s actually just a very blue shade of green—green enough to satisfy international regulations, blue enough to still be called ao. Don’t ever say bureaucracy never solved anything.

Source: https://www.rd.com/article/heres-japan-blue-traffic-lights/

You took the words right out of my mouth!

feeling your own heart beating and are reminded acutely that it is the only thing keeping you alive.

That and the Sacrifices made to the Old Ones.

I wonder though, if you put that colour next to another green - or another blue - if you might then start seeing the blue.

I've just finished repainting my bathroom and - as usual - I tied myself in knots looking for the right colours, many of which look totally different in different light conditions or when placed next to another. And paradoxically, although the colour I finally chose really looks like it should make the room appear darker than the one it replaced, the room actually now feels much, much brighter than it ever did.

Colour is one of those things that I think we all assume we know more about than we do, simply because of its ubiquity in our lives.

Josef Albers - artist and colour theorist - wrote the following in his book, Interaction of Colour:

The book is full of examples of how we are continually 'tricked' by colour (using visual examples others might call 'optical illusions' - although I'm not sure Albers ever uses the phrase himself). I'd recommend the book - it's very readable, actually rather beautiful, and not at all the dry and exclusive work of art-theory one might assume.
Carpet and rug makers have used a 'trick' for centuries, whereby using only say three or four colours of thread, the finished item can actually appear to have many more colours due to the positioning of one certain colour next to another.

I wonder though, if you put that colour next to another green - or another blue - if you might then start seeing the blue.
The Inchyra Blue is against sage green in the bedroom. Still looks green, just darker. But I agree, it's what you put it with that makes the difference. I'm painting tester squares of Peignoir (F&B) on the downstairs walls because I made the mistake of painting them Dulux pink a year or so ago. I've tried living with it, but it's just TOO PINK - think Flamingo, when the sun shines on it. Peignoir is a very pale, dusty pink, most of the time. Painting on top of the HONEST TO GOD REALLY FLAMING PINK, it looks like a slightly off-white.

Sod it, I'm going with it anyway.

I remember having a blue vs green argument with a girlfriend many years ago, regarding the colour of Crest toothpaste. Neither of us had any way of proving our point, so the argument eventually died out.
Many years later, I had a similar argument at work. But the difference on that occasion was that I could prove my point by using a bitmap editor to show the blue/green balance. Colleague was disgruntled, muttering that I couldn't just use a tool to win an argument - to which I replied, 'I just did'.

Fun experiment with a Japanese chap in this YouTube video, who describes the colour as green, right up until it's put into the context of traffic lights.

I can see both the blue and green in the shots of traffic lights, depending on how I want to see it. Perfect:)

So many examples in English:

White wine is really pale green/yellow.
A blue steak is bloody red, as is the blood of blue-blooded aristocrats.
A white horse is grey and may be ridden by someone wearing a hunting pink (i.e. red) jacket.
A white rhino is also grey.
Black mambas are brown or dark green.
An aircraft's black box is orange.
And whoever changed the earth lead in a UK electrical plug from the original brown to today's green and yellow ought to be shot!

the earth lead in a UK electrical plug from the original brown to today's green and yellow
Unless you're speaking in metaphor, you actually mean green (as the original colour for UK electrical earth cables).

Many countries made that change to green/yellow (not consistently within the USA, because, well: USA....where white means neutral, and black means live...!).

The change from green was made primarily so as to prevent confusion arising from green:red (common original live conductor) for people experiencing colour blindness.

Curiously, the classic colour indicating earth in telecoms cabling is actually cream, never green.

In response to the OP challenge: I cannot understand the fashion insanity of 'designer stressed'/holed jeans. Especially when worn by younger overtly-attractive females.

Last edited:
Unless you're speaking in metaphor, you actually mean green (as the original colour for UK electrical earth cables).

Many countries made that change to green/yellow (not consistently within the USA, because, well: USA....where white means neutral, and black means live...!).
Don't get @blessmycottonsocks to wire you a plug for heaven's sake.

Pre 2006 it was; Red-Live, Black-Neutral, and Green-Earth for all fixed electrical items ie sockets and light switches, and
Brown-Live, Blue-Neutral and Green & Yellow- Earth for portable appliances- lamps/fridges/kettles/hair dryers etc.

They wanted to change it so that everything was the brown/blue/green-yellow system to match in with Europe, way back in the early 1970s, but being Britain it took about 30 years to do so.
They'll be the old wiring colours in houses for many, many years to come though of course.

Why do my wife and I order the same things to eat at the local Chinese restaurant for many years ?
Is it to just take 'chance' out of your life for one moment perhaps?
You don't have to think about what to order and/or be disappointed with a different choice?
You know you like that particular menu so it's easier to stick with it.
In other words 'if it ain't broke why fix it' kind of thing?

In response to the OP challenge: I cannot understand the fashion insanity of 'designer stressed'/holed jeans.
Totally understand. When I was a kid, your favourite pair of pants were worn until there was nothing left. It took time and love to have a pair of pants like this.

Society, now, is a throwaway society and buying quality or expecting quality in things is almost nonexistent. Having a pair of pants that you never wanted to give up just doesn't seem to be appreciated now.

I don't see the "fashion" of buying clothes that are almost threads. The clothing companies most likely love it - less material cost.

Totally understand. When I was a kid, your favourite pair of pants were worn until there was nothing left. It took time and love to have a pair of pants like this.
Can remember being asked, back in the '70s, how I managed to fade my jeans so well.
Answer: they were the only ones I owned and so were worn most days.

You - and others - are confusing barbeque with outdoor grilling.

Outdoor grilling is more about the social atmosphere, and the flavor can vary greatly based on the fuel, any flavoring - spices or smoke - and the exact technique used. Of course personal preference is in play here.

True barbeque is very slow cooking with indirect heat, usually with some kind of heavy spice or sauce. There are many varieties, but all create something very different from grilling, and most of it is quite tasty.

It's not a confusion.
It's that in the UK a summer barbeque means grilling food outside, usually on a small grill device.

The resulting burger/sausage/chicken is often dark and burned on the outside, and not so well cooked on the inside.

It's then put in a white bread roll, ketchup added, and eaten whilst one's can of drink has a wasp crawl inside.

Then it rains.

The barbeque you describe is one I have seen on travel cooking shows on youtube, and the meat looks delicious.

It's not a confusion.
It's that in the UK a summer barbeque means grilling food outside, usually on a small grill device.

The resulting burger/sausage/chicken is often dark and burned on the outside, and not so well cooked on the inside.

It's then put in a white bread roll, ketchup added, and eaten whilst one's can of drink has a wasp crawl inside.

Then it rains.

The barbeque you describe is one I have seen on travel cooking shows on youtube, and the meat looks delicious.
Unfortunately, this is true of much of America as well. As I said, my attraction to such events is more about the experience than the food, but I do like the taste of grilled meats.

That you can live so close to your neighbours for many years (lots of whom you may know nothing about) and all the 'life' that goes on in their houses year in, year out- births/deaths/arguments/divorces/birthdays/Christmases/illnesses etc.

If I stayed where I am now for 50-60 years, it's quite possible that I still wouldn't know a lot of them or know what their houses are like inside and yet we're all in our small area of the earth just a few metres away from each other.

That you can live so close to your neighbours for many years (lots of whom you may know nothing about) and all the 'life' that goes on in their houses year in, year out- births/deaths/arguments/divorces/birthdays/Christmases/illnesses etc.

If I stayed where I am now for 50-60 years, it's quite possible that I still wouldn't know a lot of them or know what their houses are like inside and yet we're all in our small area of the earth just a few metres away from each other.
Try living in a small town. I was down with covid recently (better now), yesterday I went in the local butcher, which has an old-style payment hatch. The lady taking payment I know by sight only 'cause she's been there since dinosaurs walked the earth. As I coughed up the cash, she said, "Oh hello, are you better from your covid now?"

Try living in a small town. I was down with covid recently (better now), yesterday I went in the local butcher, which has an old-style payment hatch. The lady taking payment I know by sight only 'cause she's been there since dinosaurs walked the earth. As I coughed up the cash, she said, "Oh hello, are you better from your covid now?"
Yes, true! Going too far 'the other way' is not always a good thing!

I'm quite lucky here because the locals only like to talk about themselves, so they don't come across as being too nosey.
It doesn't mean that they don't gossip about me behind my back though I suppose.....

Yes, true! Going too far 'the other way' is not always a good thing!
I think someone asking if you're feeling better now is a good thing? In my village we tend to know who's ill (someone else is walking their dog, they are sitting out in their garden and tell you they've been poorly,) and then it's only polite when you next see them to ask if they are feeling better.

It's hardly a national secret. It's not like they're asking when your case comes up for That Thing With The Goat...

I think someone asking if you're feeling better now is a good thing? In my village we tend to know who's ill (someone else is walking their dog, they are sitting out in their garden and tell you they've been poorly,) and then it's only polite when you next see them to ask if they are feeling better.

It's hardly a national secret. It's not like they're asking when your case comes up for That Thing With The Goat...
Well perhaps not in Simon's case, but they can get too bloody nosey sometimes.

I grew up in a small rural community. There are both pros and cons. If your family is a respected one in the community, you are treated accordingly. If your family has a bad reputation, then all people of that family are treated as such, regardless of who the individual is.

There were 3 high schools and you were made to go to the one that covered your area. IF you had a reason to go to another that was accepted by the school board, then you could go to one of the others.

I chose to go to the one where there were only six of us from my elementary school. Why? Because my friends were kids of my parents friends, as well as cousins.

My parents always compared my academic marks to my friends (as in "why did you only get an A when so and so got A+?) or questioned my involvement in (never) any untoward actions they had heard that cousins/friends had been caught doing. I didn't need to be under this unrealistic scrutiny my whole life, so I changed schools where my parents knew no one.

My family was respected in their community, but I also felt very limited in learning who I was and how I could be my own person. I took it a step further in distancing myself from this smothering setting when I went to college in Toronto.

I have always appreciated the freedom this gave me to not have people watching me at every turn.

Back