• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Common, Everyday Occurrence Do You Find Strange?

Eeek, I'm blushing now!

But you all know what I mean- kids need stability, routine, things being regular. Excitement in small doses only. They basically need to feel safe from day to day. Their homes are, or should be, their place of safety. It makes me so angry to find that some aren't safe in their own homes. (I wasn't.)

A friend sent me a book last Christmas full of quotes about the teaching profession, and I loved this one:

"Our good deeds as teachers are like stones cast into the pool of time. Though they themselves may disappear, their ripples extend to eternity."

I like to think that's true. If I've made a difference to one child's life, then it's made my teaching career worthwhile. :)

What job do you do, Escargot? It sounds so rewarding. I'm glad there are ppl like you around to help these children. :)

mejane said:
Baa?

Jane.

don't swear at me! :D

I think it's the wool.
In torbay, where the soil is red clay, we have a definite breed of pink sheep running around, especially at the height of summer.
It's unnerving. Pink sheep. Think about it, how can you be sure that you ARE seeing them and not hallucinating them?

Maybe they're envious of all the OAP pink rinses that they see around here? Who can say?

*bump*
Clouds - not the little cotton puffs or the vapour smears - big clouds, 2 mile high Cumulonimbus, that just hang there in the sky.
How do they keep a discrete shape instead of diffusing, why don't they drop to the ground through gravity ? I look at clouds in a blue-ish sky and realise I'm an alien living on an alien and freaky planet. Any visitors from another world would just go insane.

Clouds don't drop for the same reason the steam from a kettle doesn't settle on the floor, they're lighter than air, and the air moulds them into cloud shapes.

For me, being on a planet is really weird, if I think about it for a bit I get really freaked out, like the Earth might roll off from under my feet and leave me suspended in space.

I think about stuff in detail in perhaps strange ways and then most things become a little enigmatic. Some seem to be really obvious until I think about it a little deeper. Like 'what is wind' or 'how does a text message or e-mail get from me to someone on the other side of the world in a matter of seconds'.

Perhaps it is a Fortean way of thinking that 'ordinary' people don't bother themselves with.

We're leaky bags of water living on the third of the planet that isn't under water and above is a sky where the water just hangs. Yet we have the self- awareness to get pulled up short occasionally and ponder. Thank goodness I cannot taste or smell water, it probably stinks.
Sometimes I wonder if Earth is watched by outsiders like a galactic Truman Show because it's so alien that it's entertainingly freaky.

What causes me endless surprise is....the existence of bats.

Bats. They're mammals., right? And they're related to rodents. And yet they have wings. And they can fly! (Indeed, the Russian word for bat translates as `flying mouse`!)

Not only that but they make these tiny squeaking noises, the sound of which echoes off objects - and they use this fact to help them to navigate their way around.

Bats? Gett outta here! You're taking the piss!

Bats? Gett outta here! You're taking the piss!

Yeah they are mate. Totally. Cute tho.

I'll tell you what common every day occurence I find strange?

People laughing out loud...in conversations, social situations. Like laughing out LOUD, and continued.

I genuinely think I have never laughed out loud in a conversation. How can anything be that funny? Don't get it.

Yeah they are mate. Totally. Cute tho.

I'll tell you what common every day occurence I find strange?

People laughing out loud...in conversations, social situations. Like laughing out LOUD, and continued.

I genuinely think I have never laughed out loud in a conversation. How can anything be that funny? Don't get it.

There should be flying cats to prey on them.

There should be flying cats to prey on them.
1620648051177.png

That we as humans have the ability to fly. And although I have been on many flights in my lifetime, I'm still astounded that we can sit in what is essentially a metal tube with engines attached, soar miles high above the Earth, sipping champagne, watching movies, reading a book, taking a nap and looking out at all the beauty below only to land safely some hours later in a completely different part of the world.
This continues to amaze me and fills me with wonder.
If I could afford a seat on a commercial space flight, I'd sign up without a seconds thought.

That we as humans have the ability to fly. And although I have been on many flights in my lifetime, I'm still astounded that we can sit in what is essentially a metal tube with engines attached, soar miles high above the Earth, sipping champagne, watching movies, reading a book, taking a nap and looking out at all the beauty below only to land safely some hours later in a completely different part of the world.
This continues to amaze me and fills me with wonder.
If I could afford a seat on a commercial space flight, I'd sign up without a seconds thought.

- Apart from the “signing up for a space trip” bit. (Though, with hindsight, there are quite a few people for whom l’d have bought a ticket for a jaunt on the Long March 5B.)

maximus otter

Ships.

Don't get em.

Big ass metal ships.

1620652037152.jpeg

Tons and tons of metal and it floats.

If I chuck this in -

1620652113513.png

It sinks.

Don't get it. Never have.

(Please don't try to explain. Many, many people have tried to explain to me...still don't get it. I am now happy with not getting it :) )

Ships.

Don't get em.

Big ass metal ships.

View attachment 39127

If I chuck this in -

View attachment 39128

It sinks.

(Please don't try to explain. Many, many people have tried to explain to me...still don't get it. I am now happy with not getting it :) )

That ship is made of “ass metal”; the coin isn’t.

Simples.

maximus otter

I am with you on clouds. I often find myself looking up at them and thinking 'just...why?' I mean, I KNOW the reason, the physics and all that, but they still look - odd.

Ships.

Don't get em.

Big ass metal ships.

View attachment 39127

If I chuck this in -

View attachment 39128

It sinks.

Ships.

Don't get em.

Big ass metal ships.

View attachment 39127

If I chuck this in -

View attachment 39128

It sinks.

This man with the long egg knew the answer to all that sort of nonsense.

1620666979970.jpeg

That's Fred Dinenage. He is still going strong at 78!
Slightly disturbingly, I saw that edition of How.
I think this is our link in to the 'Why always a Native American?' thread.

Back