• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Could An Advanced Civilization Work On Next?

Maximum7

Fresh Blood
Let’s say their is a galaxy or multi-galaxy civilization. FTL travel is mainstream and commonplace. The civilization has also mastered.
•Cold fusion reactors and room temperature superconductors
•Megastructures like a Dyson sphere, Matrioksha brain, and Shakov thrusters.
• The full potential of genetic engineering.
• True A.I. and robots for every type of reason.
• Near full potential of chemistry
•Teleportation
•Time travel
•Applications of dark matter
•Artificial and anti-gravity
•Cloaking devices for ships and people
•Neuronium or other super-elements
•Tractor beams
Miniaturization tech (storing g large objects in capsules)
•Perpetual motion machines
• The full potential of nanotechnology
•Reaching the near limits of computing; having computronium.
•Intangibility or phasing tech
•Pico or Femtotechnology and perhaps even smaller.
•Immortality
•Nuclear transmutation
• Complete simulations of reality
•Mind uploading
•Regeneration of any body part
•Technology telepathy and psionics.
• Proving the existence of parallel universes and travel between them
•Creation of pocket universes
•Black hole power harvesting
That’s what my theoretical civilization has mastered. I know it’s a tall order but I’ve played with every idea under the sun. My civilization has created almost everything depicted in stereotypical sci-fi. Is there anything left in science that this type of civilization would be trying to create? They CANNOT resurrect the dead. I’m looking for a new idea.

*Link Removed*

Sentient flowers that sing.
NO!
Little-Shop-of-Horrors.jpg

Teleportation?
Time Travel?
I'm sure I read a sci-fi story once where time travel was used to simulate the effects of teleportation. You travel to your destination at non-ridiculous speeds, taking thousands of years to arrive; then, when you get there, you travel the same number of thousands of years into the past, thereby replicating the effects of instantaneous teleportation. Of course, any kind of time travel has unfortunate effects on causality and/or free will.

Let’s say their is a galaxy or multi-galaxy civilization. FTL travel is mainstream and commonplace. The civilization has also mastered.
•Cold fusion reactors and room temperature superconductors
•Megastructures like a Dyson sphere, Matrioksha brain, and Shakov thrusters.
• The full potential of genetic engineering.
• True A.I. and robots for every type of reason.
• Near full potential of chemistry
•Teleportation
•Time travel
•Applications of dark matter
•Artificial and anti-gravity
•Cloaking devices for ships and people
•Neuronium or other super-elements
•Tractor beams
Miniaturization tech (storing g large objects in capsules)
•Perpetual motion machines
• The full potential of nanotechnology
•Reaching the near limits of computing; having computronium.
•Intangibility or phasing tech
•Pico or Femtotechnology and perhaps even smaller.
•Immortality
•Nuclear transmutation
• Complete simulations of reality
•Mind uploading
•Regeneration of any body part
•Technology telepathy and psionics.
• Proving the existence of parallel universes and travel between them
•Creation of pocket universes
•Black hole power harvesting
That’s what my theoretical civilization has mastered. I know it’s a tall order but I’ve played with every idea under the sun. My civilization has created almost everything depicted in stereotypical sci-fi. Is there anything left in science that this type of civilization would be trying to create? They CANNOT resurrect the dead. I’m looking for a new idea.

*Link Removed*

I don't know why they couldn't resurrect the dead, it'd be a trivial task using a combination of those technologies, e.g. nanotechnology, tissue regeneration, mind uploading, time travel.

Time travel would be the easiest way to resurrect the dead- that is how Superman resurrected Lois Lane in that film. See also Endgame.

Time travel would be a game changer for an advanced civilisation. They could go back and change any aspect of their own history they didn't like. Stephen Baxter's Xeelee sequence is an epic story about a set of hyperadvanced aliens who have really used time travel to their own advantage, going back repeatedly and rewriting their own history. Nevertheless, the Xeelee lose the war against their worst enemies, but do manage to defeat humans (who are little more than a persistent irritant).

What Could An Advanced Civilization Work On Next?

Start disinventing things to go back to a simpler life.

Reactions: Jim
An "Advanced Civilization," has presumably overcome the simple business of living with itself in order to concentrate on pure technology? :thought:

This would be the critical issue implicit in all this - even during the time the civilization was pushing the limits of technological plausibility.

Psycho- / socio- / cultural issues would repeatedly surface with the introduction of each new wave of extraordinary technical capabilities. If anything, they would become more and more troublesome as technological innovations removed the constraints around which precedent socio-cultural orders had been devised.

At the extreme, the inevitably resulting psycho-social disorientations would undermine or prevent ongoing pursuit of such strictly technical advances.

The "living core" of a civilization isn't reducible to its tools and toys - it's what the members do with them.

Develop a varied vegan diet which is nutrionally excellent and tastes appetising.

Develop a means by which emptying one's bowels is 100% efficient yet does not threaten health; eradicating constipation and piles.

An end to BO, Bad Breath and Dandruff.

A means by which buildings are at a constant temperature rather than "Too cold in winter, too hot in summer".

Develop a means by which someone who composes a tune in their head can upload it to software which makes it a usable piece of music.

Last edited:
Develop a varied vegan diet which is nutrionally excellent and tastes appetising.

Develop a means by which emptying one's bowels is 100% efficient yet does not threaten health; eradicating constipation and piles.

An end to BO, Bad Breath and Dandruff.

A means by which buildings are at a constant temperature rather than "Too cold in winter, too hot in summer".

Develop a means by which someone who composes a tune in their head can upload it to software which makes it a usable piece of music.

I really like the last idea. The music one. What would you call such a process?

Start disinventing things to go back to a simpler life.

... Or at least show signs of thoughtfully managing the adoption and proliferation of new technologies rather than letting new tech spread like a contagion before considering and suffering the down-sides.

Last edited:
'Hell is other people' (Sartre) - people will have to learn to get along with each other. There was a story in 2000AD where Barney the Computer decides to make it Christmas every day for the residents of the Des O'Connor block. One little girl wanted a doll, another little girl also wanted a doll but the first girl wanted a doll AND no-one else to have one.

'Hell is other people' (Sartre) - people will have to learn to get along with each other. There was a story in 2000AD where Barney the Computer decides to make it Christmas every day for the residents of the Des O'Connor block. One little girl wanted a doll, another little girl also wanted a doll but the first girl wanted a doll AND no-one else to have one.

I remember that there was a building named after Rolf Harris in the story 'Block Wars'.

". . . in those final days before their annihilation the Krell had been applying their entire racial energies to a new project . . . one which they actually seemed to hope might somehow free them once and for all from any dependence on physical instrumentalities."

That.

That annihilation thing . . .

Back