• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Last night I dreamed (I must be in one of my cycles of dream-remembering) that I had sold my house and was now house sharing with a friend. It was a very small place and I was quite indignant that we had to share a bathroom (we may also have had to share a bedroom, or the house may have been all one room and open plan, I don't remember). She was quite happy with this but I was annoyed that I'd sold my lovely little cottage to have to share! At one point she came in and I was carving a groove in a very long and narrow piece of black wood in the middle of the floor and we had a discussion about what would happen if one of us wanted the bathroom when the other was in there and whether we could write up a rota.

Then I discovered a whole separate part to the house we were living in. There was another bedroom, with an en suite bathroom and a mezzanine floor with stairs which led out of the bedroom up to another room. I didn't look up there, but told my friend (who is an IRL friend but not one I would ever choose to share a house with!) that I would move into this bedroom and have the en suite, whereupon she announced that she was going to move to the mezzanine floor and live up there and we could share the en suite...

At which I was most cross, and woke up.
Don't you hate it when you have to problem solve in dreams? Like we don't have to do that every day:doh:

I very rarely remember dreams, and when I do it’s usually because I have been rudely awakened when in the middle of one, rather than waking naturally. And even then they fade within minutes.
At work I have been looking at the safety strategy for a couple of steel erection companies who are tendering for a 38 storey tower block we are to start building next year, right next door to a restaurant that is predominantly underground but has a large glass structure over the top that forms the roof, and the walls of the entrance and bar.
One of the proposed contractors caused me a lot of grief in recent years, dropping things into the street and generally not wanting to join the party safety wise.
Saturday night I had a dream during which this particular contractor dropped a structural steel member from the tower crane, which then smashed through the glass roof of the restaurant and dropped into the subterranean restaurant.
I jolted awake just as I was rushing to the carnage to establish the death count.
The dream was likely caused by demanding times at work, and hopefully not a premonition of things to come.

Dreamed that Techy and I witnessed an accident: a small shallow river on a woodland lane was blocked off to traffic, but a car came through quickly from the other direction and smashed through the temporary barrier.

The car and driver (a young man) were badly smashed up. As I chatted with a young woman nearby, I noticed that she had long blonde hair and was well-prepared for the outdoors, wearing a long dark coat and drinking a hot beverage from an insulated travel mug. Seemed familiar.

She was standing on the gravelly bed of a river that was running very low. I saw a human foot on the ground next to her. It had obviously ended up there after the crash. We retrieved it and discussed whether it could be re-attached after being in the river. Brrr.

Dreamed that Techy and I witnessed an accident: a small shallow river on a woodland lane was blocked off to traffic, but a car came through quickly from the other direction and smashed through the temporary barrier.

The car and driver (a young man) were badly smashed up. As I chatted with a young woman nearby, I noticed that she had long blonde hair and was well-prepared for the outdoors, wearing a long dark coat and drinking a hot beverage from an insulated travel mug. Seemed familiar.

She was standing on the gravelly bed of a river that was running very low. I saw a human foot on the ground next to her. It had obviously ended up there after the crash. We retrieved it and discussed whether it could be re-attached after being in the river. Brrr.
Long blonde hair, long dark coat - perhaps you were dreaming about Nicola Bulley.

Long blonde hair, long dark coat - perhaps you were dreaming about Nicola Bulley.
For sure.
The wrecked car is like one I keep driving past in town, parked up on a side road with the front end smashed off.
The riverbed in my dream ernsembles the one in the photo of Nicola with her dog.
Dunno about the severed foot though! Perhaps it represents the recovery of bodies generally.

My subconscious is mulling everything over. That's its job.

Two very odd dreams last night.

In one someone asked me to adapt a cage to keep some bats in. The bars were too far apart and I was trying to thread wire round them to reduce the gap meanwhile someone else was trying to restrain the bats and urging me to hurry up.

In the other I was on "Red Dwarf" (Which I haven't watched for ages) when someone (Lister?) pointed out a figure walking down a corridor. As there shouldn't be anyone else on RD there was a panic and we tried to hide. But the figure walked into the room we were in, now an office with a middle aged woman secretary. The figure turned out to be the late Roy Kinnear, who announced that he was here to fix the photocopier. He was the normal genial character he often played but there was feeling that as soon as he'd fixed the copier he'd become something nasty. I was pointing out other office equipment, scanners, fax machines, etc. and asking if he could fix that to play for time. His faced changed to something a bit more menacing (Think Ernest Borgnine or Martin Balsam playing a slightly deranged villain) and he said. "You won't have the budget, you'll need to use the budget you buy carrots with, you'll have to check with my head office, here's the number." He gave a number to the secretary and returned to the photocopier. The secretary whispered to me " That's not his office it's my number."

I then woke up. The only link I can think of was seeing Richard Lester's Musketeers, Kinner's last film a couple of weeks ago.

I worry myself sometimes.:worry:

As stated elsewhere, I don’t recall dreams except in extremely rare circumstances, yet after remembering one such dream detailed in a few posts above, I had another remembered dream last night in which I had a very racy encounter with a lady from work.
I have next to no interaction with this particular lady at work so why her I have absolutely no idea.
I put this particular incident down to acquiring another Covid infection and a host of cold and flu remedies which I swallowed during the course of the day.

Last night I dreamed I was washing potatoes in a sink, watching the skin flake off and wondering whether I could get away with not peeling them, whilst listening to a bunch of wizards talking about playing hide and seek (which was my audio book - Hogfather, last night - seeping through) in a large and crowded room, whilst my eldest daughter sat somewhere behind me.

Now wondering, given the propensity of the audio book for being assimilated into my dreams, whether there's an audio book that can be used to spark lucid dreaming.

Last night I dreamed I was washing potatoes in a sink, watching the skin flake off and wondering whether I could get away with not peeling them, whilst listening to a bunch of wizards talking about playing hide and seek (which was my audio book - Hogfather, last night - seeping through) in a large and crowded room, whilst my eldest daughter sat somewhere behind me.

Now wondering, given the propensity of the audio book for being assimilated into my dreams, whether there's an audio book that can be used to spark lucid dreaming.
You can find YouTube videos that claim to do that. Gave me shocking nightmares. :chuckle:

Last night I dreamed I was living with a family and being utterly downtrodden by a matriarch figure who was bedridden. I'd finally had enough and stormed in to tell her what I thought of her, only to find she was suspiciously young, with a very smooth face. She wore a frilly white bonnet too.

Most odd.

I dreamt about something I don't recall even thinking about for some 50 years.
I was back at junior school and my class went on a school trip to a coffee museum (might have been a coffee and tea museum).
My dream was so vivid that I could almost smell the rich coffee aroma when I woke and some details of the trip (must have been 1969 or 70) like the large tubs of coffee beans on display, the impressive central atrium so you could look down onto an open lower level, carpeted rampways and the pocket guide to the history of coffee we were given, in the shape of a large cardboard fold-out coffee bean, were unlocked from the recesses of my memory for the first time in maybe half a century.
I had to Google for the place when I woke, but was unable to find anything that matched my dream and/or memories.
I think it was south or south-west London and the building seemed modern and even slightly futurist, rather than more typical historical museum premises.
It's bugging me now that I cannot find any record of the place that I know I visited all those years ago and which visited me in last night's dream.
Anyone out there recall somewhere like this?
I'll also post this on the Do You Remember forum, as they're heavily into 70's nostalgia there.

Last night I dreamed I was living with a family and being utterly downtrodden by a matriarch figure who was bedridden. I'd finally had enough and stormed in to tell her what I thought of her, only to find she was suspiciously young, with a very smooth face. She wore a frilly white bonnet too.

Most odd.
Sounds like you suspect someone around you to be lying and putting up a false front, and acting angelic ('white bonnet'). And that others are taken in by this person.

Most odd.
Why, Grandma. What big teeth you have.

I dreamt about something I don't recall even thinking about for some 50 years.
I was back at junior school and my class went on a school trip to a coffee museum (might have been a coffee and tea museum).
My dream was so vivid that I could almost smell the rich coffee aroma when I woke and some details of the trip (must have been 1969 or 70) like the large tubs of coffee beans on display, the impressive central atrium so you could look down onto an open lower level, carpeted rampways and the pocket guide to the history of coffee we were given, in the shape of a large cardboard fold-out coffee bean, were unlocked from the recesses of my memory for the first time in maybe half a century.
I had to Google for the place when I woke, but was unable to find anything that matched my dream and/or memories.
I think it was south or south-west London and the building seemed modern and even slightly futurist, rather than more typical historical museum premises.
It's bugging me now that I cannot find any record of the place that I know I visited all those years ago and which visited me in last night's dream.
Anyone out there recall somewhere like this?
I'll also post this on the Do You Remember forum, as they're heavily into 70's nostalgia there.
Not this one was it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bramah_Tea_and_Coffee_Museum

Many thanks for your suggestion, but this museum didn't open until 1992, which is at least 22 years too late for my school trip and related dream!
Ah! Sorry I only saw that it was closed - didn't look at the opening date:doh:

Of course time travelling school trips are far more interesting..........

Many thanks for your suggestion, but this museum didn't open until 1992, which is at least 22 years too late for my school trip and related dream!
Do you actually remember the school trip in question, @blessmycottonsocks ? It's not one of these 'dream memories' where you dream about something that you are sure is real or really happened, but turn out to be a fabrication? I sometimes dream of places that I think I know, but once I've woken up properly and thought about it, I've realised that they are an amalgam of experiences rather than one single place?

Just a suggestion....

Sounds like you suspect someone around you to be lying and putting up a false front, and acting angelic ('white bonnet'). And that others are taken in by this person.
Nope, nothing like that in my life at all. I did wonder if it was some kind of lingering memory of my mother (who could be a trifle controlling), as I remember her as bedbound in her last few weeks.

Do you actually remember the school trip in question, @blessmycottonsocks ? It's not one of these 'dream memories' where you dream about something that you are sure is real or really happened, but turn out to be a fabrication? I sometimes dream of places that I think I know, but once I've woken up properly and thought about it, I've realised that they are an amalgam of experiences rather than one single place?

Just a suggestion....

No. I definitely remember the school trip.
I suspect somewhere up in the attic, amongst a few exercise books and old school reports from those days, there is still a fold-out cardboard coffee bean-shaped educational guide from the trip. I think I used it as a bookmark for some time after the event.
Because I can find no references to a coffee and tea museum matching my recollection and/or dream though, I'm wondering if it was a temporary educational exhibition at some other south London venue.

No. I definitely remember the school trip.
I suspect somewhere up in the attic, amongst a few exercise books and old school reports from those days, there is still a fold-out cardboard coffee bean-shaped educational guide from the trip. I think I used it as a bookmark for some time after the event.
Because I can find no references to a coffee and tea museum matching my recollection and/or dream though, I'm wondering if it was a temporary educational exhibition at some other south London venue.
Wasn't in the old Commonwealth Institute was it? It's since closed and become the design museum apparently. I remember going on a school trip there in the '60s but I can't remember much about it. Probably some exhibits on various Commonwealth countries exports, customs, etc. but I don't know whether they had exhibitions or not.

https://c20society.org.uk/lost-modern/commonwealth-institute-london

Interior pics here:

https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/2016/12/01/what-is-the-commonwealth-institute/

Nope, nothing like that in my life at all. I did wonder if it was some kind of lingering memory of my mother (who could be a trifle controlling), as I remember her as bedbound in her last few weeks.
So it was your mother then. And you are perhaps hoping she is an 'angel'.

the old Commonwealth Institute
I remember going there on a school trip, late 70s or early 80s.
Don't really remember much about it.
I seem to recall it being one large, oval, indoor area with a walkway across the middle, and some rooms to the sides, one of which was supposed to be a 'climate' room so you could experience the humidity of the night-time desert or something like that.
Bored me to tears I expect.

Wasn't in the old Commonwealth Institute was it? It's since closed and become the design museum apparently. I remember going on a school trip there in the '60s but I can't remember much about it. Probably some exhibits on various Commonwealth countries exports, customs, etc. but I don't know whether they had exhibitions or not.

https://c20society.org.uk/lost-modern/commonwealth-institute-london

Interior pics here:

https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/2016/12/01/what-is-the-commonwealth-institute/

Wow! I think you've cracked it!
As soon as I saw this photo:

coffee.png

... I got a flash of recall of me standing on the balcony with some schoolfriends and looking down at the open area.
They must have done an exhibition about trade goods from the Commonwealth and it was the coffee part that lodged in my mind all these years.
Goodness knows why it all surfaced in such a vivid dream though!

Thanks again @Tunn11 , you are a star!

Wow! I think you've cracked it!
As soon as I saw this photo:

View attachment 63422

... I got a flash of recall of me standing on the balcony with some schoolfriends and looking down at the open area.
They must have done an exhibition about trade goods from the Commonwealth and it was the coffee part that lodged in my mind all these years.
Goodness knows why it all surfaced in such a vivid dream though!

Thanks again @Tunn11 , you are a star!
You're welcome. :curt: It was bugging me as well and it wasn't even my dream! :)

All I remember about going there is standing by all those flags waiting for the coach to take us back and some mimeographed sheets of questions about wool exports from Australia or something.

Programme shaped like a coffee bean..........You were lucky!

A scene on TV just now* showed a typical Victorian slum dwelling, with a single room that would have been home to a large family.
The presenter is shown a large chamber pot which is waved in his face for inspection. :chuckle:

Reminded me that I was dreaming last night of standing in the street outside my home waving a much nicer, white ceramic chamber pot at passers-by. It had a pattern of pink roses and was in fact the one I used as a planter some years back.

Wonder what happened to it?
Also, why would I dream about waving it? :thought:

*The Great Stink of 1858
I do love public works, especially sewage. :cool:

Last night I dreamed I was outside in a thunderstorm and lightning hit the ground just ahead of me. There was no noise, and I was a bit puzzled by this because I thought it would have made an explosive noise, but it just sort of flashed and then dissipated along the concrete.

As far as I am aware there were no thunderstorms last night here in Yorkshire, and not even any rain, apart from a bit of drizzle. So I have no idea what sparked this one off (har har).

Back