• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Short answer, yes. The issue of cultural appropriation is a long and fraught one down under. Great care and sensitivity needed. I'm a bit of a liability given my current proclivities. Later, perhaps, when I've my mojo back.

Am I right in saying dreams are very important to indigenous Australians? Or is that just appropriated mumbo-jumbo? I suppose dreams are as important as you make them.

My dream last night was a nightmare about stuff on the news, which obviously I won't go into. I'll try and ignore it and hope it won't happen again.

Am I right in saying dreams are very important to indigenous Australians?
I don't know about the night dreams generally, GNC. I imagine it's as individual as anyone else how much attention they give to it. What I understand of traditional culture, the "clever man" (read shaman) was the one whose dreams, or more likely visions, were given attention by elders. I don't know much about why. These men can take flight mentally at will to explore all sorts of remedial, aggressive and proactive duties. It's real. I also know that if you have a nasty dream that persists (often associated with serious illness), you can sleep between certain elders for a night and they will 'take the dream away' so it doesn't continue to damage. Powerful people. Personally, I think there has to be a bit of faith-healer type suggestion involved, but that doesn't diminish their credibility as agency for the needs of their people. I find it all hard to understand. Bits of it come clear if you have a good teacher.

Fascinating, thanks, @skinny ! I suppose it's natural that some cultures prize dreaming over others, but to go about it in such a, well, practical way is so empowering. I'm mostly getting my impressions from films like The Last Wave, but films are like dreams too.

I agree, GNC. Films are one of my favourite ways to learn - mostly about myself, and dreams can be similarly enlightening as they tap into subconscious facets of life the waking mundane hasn't time for. I'd started the year by keeping a dream diary on the advice of a magical practitioner as a way of accessing what he calls the "true will". Haven't kept it up, but I should go back and read it now that time has elapsed. Apparently it is better in hindsight.

I've come to think our society ignores significant dreams at its peril. Those cultures that acknowledge the latent and not-so-latent potentialities of dreams and visions seem to have a more wholesome take on the cosmos.

I've come to think our society ignores significant dreams at its peril. Those cultures that acknowledge the latent and not-so-latent potentialities of dreams and visions seem to have a more wholesome take on the cosmos.

Doesn't seem to have done California much good.

Doesn't seem to have done California much good.

To what are you alluding? California on it's own has the 5th largest economy in the world, behind Germany, ahead of UK, produces 81% of US wine & so on. It would seem to be extremely 'successful'.

Is it just a drive-by referencing of California Dreaming by the Mamas & Papas - what are you on about in short?

There was a sharp rap on the glass outside my bedroom window and I woke up with the sound still ringing in my ears (6 mins before the alarm clock).

There was a sharp rap on the glass outside my bedroom window and I woke up with the sound still ringing in my ears (6 mins before the alarm clock).

*nods* Last night I left YouTube playing (BBC supernatural radio dramas) and at some point heard a window smashed. My bike is outside in my car so my background worry about that naturally made me wake up thinking the car was being broken into!

I had one of my water dreams last night. Except, instead of being scared of impending tidal waves/tsunamis/massive floods, I was actively seeking out the sea to swim in, but the tide kept going out. That's bloody weird...

Dreamed that someone had died, not anyone close, maybe a workmate.

Woke up at that 'Have you heard who's died?' stage where you're thinking 'hmmm, wow, I was only talking to'im last week!'

Or maybe it was 'her' as I can't remember who it was.

A superstition in my family about dreams says that a dream about death is actually good luck coming. Fingers crossed eh!

So last night I dreamed I couldn't get my bra on because my boobs had grown and stretched right down to my past my waist, like fat sausages.

I showed Techy and said 'Well, maybe it's time to consider surgery.' He replied something like 'If you want to but I don't mind either way as you're still gorgeous!' (He'd really say that too. I'm so lucky.)

Secretly though I wanted to keep them as they were funny, and of course still part of me.

This is about two things - telling someone yesterday about a sewing job I did for someone* and my delight in my own fitness and good health, even though I'm 61 and currently fat.

There was also some business about Luke Skywalker and Han Solo escaping pursuers by jumping off a cliff into the sea, harassed by attackers firing blunderbusses from a steampunk-looking stripey hot air balloon.

An owl was trying to escape from a magic spell whereby it had been turned into part of the face of the cliff like a carving. It would emerge any minute and - I woke up.

*A relation had breast surgery and I installed front fastenings in some hefty bras for her.

I had one of my water dreams last night. Except, instead of being scared of impending tidal waves/tsunamis/massive floods, I was actively seeking out the sea to swim in, but the tide kept going out. That's bloody weird...

Sounds like water, or specifically the sea, represents something big in your life. You know what it is.

Dreamt that I was standing in the backyard of my childhood home, looking at the five kookaburras sitting on the fence, while a neighbour talked at length about the opera (or ballet, can't recall) she'd been to, and how impressive the costumes were, without mentioning how she liked the show once...

I dreamed that my bathroom at home had been confiscated and I'd been given a cubicle in a library toilet instead.

As David Bowie once said 'it's all very puzzling'.

I had a number of dreams last night, but the only one I remember was where I was some sort of home help/medical type person, and I was visiting an old man in a squalid house, because he needed his feet seen to. Basically, I was to don rubber gloves, apply a liberal amount of lotion to his dry feet, wrap them in bandages, and put a "medical boot" on each foot so he wouldn't ruin his actual shoes, but have "shoes" on for ease of movement. I remember just wanting to get out of the house, shower, change my clothes and ask that he have someone go in and clean the house thoroughly!

I doubt this is a reference to me, my house is clean, and my feet aren't in need of a seeing to!

I dreamed that my bathroom at home had been confiscated and I'd been given a cubicle in a library toilet instead.

As David Bowie once said 'it's all very puzzling'.
I know people read in the toilet, but having an actual library attached is a little excessive!

I was tickling a small crocodile's tummy (I thought it was a fox) someone alerted me that it was actually a croc and told me to catch it behind the head if it tried to bite me. It just waddled off though.

i dreamt a new book i want to read was available in my local library, just sat there on the shelf. unheard of!

after this i checked, there are 90, yes 90 reservations for this book!

A long an complicated dream, including a trip along the canals of Amsterdam. The boat pulled up on the canal side, and I attempted to step from the railings on the boat, onto the top of railings along the canal bank. A twinge in my dodgy knee woke me up. I had one leg out of bed on the bottom shelf of my book shelves...

It was the night-before-last, in those hours around dawn where my dreams cluster, that I had one of a recurring type: the war-in-the-skies theme! During that day, I had driven down to Ashton and seen several airliners climbing or descending in the clear sky. Maybe the trigger?

The dream was a series of aerial skirmishes and plummetings, featuring an odd assortment of craft. Some asymmetrical alien designs flew to demonstrate the way they skated through the air on the straight wing and used the curved wing to change course. These odd laws seemed to make sense at the time! Some WWI biplanes were enjoying a little dog-fight of their own in the distance. Then things turned darker as the battles merged. It was announced that Wales was now at war with the universe.

Cue a sentimental musical montage of Welshery, as if viewed on television. We were to be prepared for some grim news . . .

At this point, I awoke. The growling engine-noises of the aircraft turned into the protracted rumbling of wheeled bins being shifted by a woman who uses them as Zimmer-frames. I doubt whether filling them all with bricks would halt her weekly dawn ritual! I have considered it. :doh:

Last edited:
t'other night I dreamed I'd started work as a PA or whatever to Boris Johnson. (About as unlikely it's possible to imagine.)

Someone asked me what my new job was. It was supposed to be confidential so I said 'It's a bit sensitive, I'll give you a clue!' and was about to mention the initials B and J when it occurred to me that a hint about a new job involving the expression 'BJ' might be misconstrued...

Back