• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Do Points Make? Board Trophies & Titles

Didn't there used to be a list/ranking of how many points members had, with those with the most points occupying the top spot etc?
Or has the display of such meretricious, tawdry, narcissism now been consigned to the bins out the back?

The was a raft of changes made at the end of April 2022.

The thrust of these changes was to remove almost all the gameification/social media aspects we could from the board.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...es-functions-policies-etc.69397/#post-2176190

These little baubles were fine while treated as the grounds for comedy, but a small percentage of people started a) taking scores, rankings and and titles seriously, and/or b) using reactions to troll other members.

The were a raft of changes made at the end of April 2022.
6) The 'charts' that recorded the 'top' posters by messages/trophy points/scores etc. on the Members Page have been hidden.
(my emphasis)

That's what I was getting at - the 'charts', being 'hidden' (or at least, no longer on display), does that mean that the information is still available should the need to view the data arise?
I know 'curiosity killed the cat' (that's the fault of that bleedin' Schrodinger chap again) but I used to like to occasionally check my own ranking.

6) The 'charts' that recorded the 'top' posters by messages/trophy points/scores etc. on the Members Page have been hidden.
(my emphasis)

That's what I was getting at - the 'charts', being 'hidden' (or at least, no longer on display), does that mean that the information is still available should the need to view the data arise?
I know 'curiosity killed the cat' (that's the fault of that bleedin' Schrodinger chap again) but I used to like to occasionally check my own ranking.

Perhaps 'removed from public view' would be the more delicate term, but in essence you are correct.

It isn't really a matter of simply turning on and turning off various functions--that's not how the board is set up from a technical standpoint--it's more about our choosing what is visible and to whom. We have an entire 'back end' (go on...) that doesn't resemble the message board but through it we--the moderators--can access all the data (registration dates, post counts, trophy points etc) generated.

So, yes, the data is still logged and updated, and yes, it can still be viewed if necessary--but only by moderators.

If you are very curious, I suggest some paper, a pencil and a lot of time.

paper, a pencil and a lot of time
Nah, I've (probably) got better things to do.
I'm just going to assume that my scores/rankings etc are naturally much better than everyone else.
And I'm not even going to troll anyone about it.
Especially not @Swifty , @Floyd1 or @maximus otter
Nosirree.....not me.....

Back