• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Do Points Make? Board Trophies & Titles

Yes I know I'm one of the guilty 'no avatar' posters ... It's on my 'to do' list!

50 points and I may have done it right away but 5? Nah not a good enough reward. :)

Meantime a little avatar story.

A forum I was on a few years back had an extremely pedantic poster who caused a great deal of irritation. My heart would sink when I saw he'd waded in on a discussion I was following.

Then one day I found myself agreeing with him thinking 'come on you lot he's got a point you really should be thinking a bit more clearly about the points you are trying to get across' and I started to admire his thoroughness and looked forward to his contributions!

It took a several days for it to dawn on me what had caused my reaction to him to change so dramatically.

He'd changed his avatar from a Swiss Army knife, with all the different blades and spikey things open, to a little car with smooth rounded edges! It was a subconscious thing as I'd not noticed the picture right away, just my change of response to him! Ah the workings of the human brain eh brings it home just how much we are being influenced without our even noticing.

Sooooo I'm finding it difficult to decide on one for myself. <whistle>

Sollywos x
My invitation is still open :)

Earlier today I received an award for having an avatar, I've had one for several years and not updated for a month or so.

Very Fortean...

I looked at my award for having a Visible Presence and quickly had to check that you lot weren't peering in through my window....

I, too, thought that perhaps I'd experienced some kind-of low-grade Marian vision thing, or seen a hump breaking to the surface. But instead I've just been touched by a meh...

May I request that the next corporate beneficence from the forum is somewhat more...instantiated and cruelly-selective.

I don't want any unicorns (or anything else with the horn) but a materialised fragment of relic*, or a personalised undeniable sign would be nice. In fact, forget the materialisation bit- Fedex is fine, and DPD is dandy...

(* not any One True Cross chunks, svp, we've got plenty out the back)

I, too, thought that perhaps I'd experienced some kind-of low-grade Marian vision thing, or seen a hump breaking to the surface. But instead I've just been touched by a meh...

May I request that the next corporate beneficence from the forum is somewhat more...instantiated and cruelly-selective.

I don't want any unicorns (or anything else with the horn) but a materialised fragment of relic*, or a personalised undeniable sign would be nice. In fact, forget the materialisation bit- Fedex is fine, and DPD is dandy...

(* not any One True Cross chunks, svp, we've got plenty out the back)
I told him we already got one...(snicker)

I've also noticed that my avatar features on this month's FT cover (sort of). That's GOT to be worth an extra couple of points, surely?

I looked at my award for having a Visible Presence and quickly had to check that you lot weren't peering in through my window....
Yea, i was thinking, visible presence?, was i invisible before?

As long as it's only hands....:caution:
And incarnately, as opposed to....disincarnately. Which would be a bit hands-off!!!

Anyway, in a similar way to the FT Magazine subscription's (at one time compulsory within UK/ROI, other jurisdictions may have varied) free mug 'premium', I do think this forum should sort-out the targetted remote distribution of (semi-) inanimate physical objects to its members, on a tele/transportational basis, in recognition of their individual collegiate prowess, stamina & perspicacity.

I had hoped that the recent forum upgrade might've generated (at least) an anticipation of appropriate (or even inappropriate) apparitions within the locale of the recipient member.

I mean, points & trophies awarded online& on-screen are all very well, but they're terribly 2010. Hopefully they're just a ledge on the climb and not the plateau of perfected personalisation....I have faith that a future version of "the app" will ultimately materialise perhaps a dessicated duck-billed platypus under my pillow, or a mildewed rosary onto my bathroom scales.

In the words of Captain Jean-Luc Picard....'Make it snow'

Last edited:
Just as soon as 'teleportation' is nailed, your wishes will be a step closer to reality.

And incarnately, as opposed to....disincarnately. Which would be a bit hands-off!!!

Anyway, in a similar way to the FT Magazine subscription's (at one time compulsory within UK/ROI, other jurisdictions may have varied) free mug 'premium', I do think this forum should sort-out the targetted remote distribution of (semi-) inanimate physical objects to its members, on a transportational basis, in recognition of their individual collegiate prowess, stamina & perspicacity.

I had hoped that the recent forum upgrade might've generated (at least) an anticipation of appropriate (or even inappropriate) apparitions within the locale of the recipient member.

I mean, points & trophies awarded online& on-screen are all very well, but they're terribly 2010. Hopefully they're just a ledge on the climb and not the plateau of perfected personalisation....I have faith that a future version of "the app" will ultimately materialise perhaps a dessicated duck-billed platypus under my pillow, or a mildewed rosary onto my bathroom scales.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that! A mug! I'd like a mug. Or even a tea towel (which would be a suitably fortean gift; imagine all those puzzled faces upon opening the package and wondering who the hell had sent them a tea towel featuring 'Ten Views of Cromer' and the like).

...imagine all those puzzled faces upon opening the package and wondering who the hell had sent them a tea towel featuring 'Ten Views of Cromer' and the like).
View 1, "Glamping, Cromer"::

900_Hieronymus-Bosch_The%20Harrowing%20of%20Hell-gigapixel-scale-6_00x.jpg

maximus otter

Anyway, in a similar way to the FT Magazine subscription's (at one time compulsory within UK/ROI, other jurisdictions may have varied) free mug 'premium', I do think this forum should sort-out the targetted remote distribution of (semi-) inanimate physical objects to its members, on a transportational basis, in recognition of their individual collegiate prowess, stamina & perspicacity.

I've just found half a mouldy TUC biscuit down the back of the sofa....is that my gift? Is it? IS IT?

If so, I'd prefer the 'Cromer's 100 Best Bus Stops' Tea towel. Thank you.

Shut up! Shut up, everybody!

l am currently on 800 calories per day, and my stomach thinks my throat’s been cut. Talk of Tuc biscuits and Bounty bars is not helping!

:(

maximus otter
The Tuc biscuit was mouldy though, if that helps. And I think the dog had had a go at it.

Back