• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Do Points Make? Board Trophies & Titles

l love the fact that - with an apparently-serviceable chiminea twenty feet away - they’ve lit a crappy fire on the grass.

maximus otter
Its a tradition or old charter or something, you have to have a crappy camp fire that either a) is constantly on the verge of going out, or b) is always in danger of setting fire to the whole camp site, area and county :p

l love the fact that - with an apparently-serviceable chiminea twenty feet away - they’ve lit a crappy fire on the grass.

maximus otter
Fire pit, gravel protected so not on grass, I built and lit the fire which was as big as I was allowed to and those families in this photo were lovely people .. unlike a few weeks later when I tried to do it again for some other people who couldn't even be arsed to keep the fire going even though I'd dumped a wheel barrow full of wood right next to the fire for them after building and lighting it before going off to do other duties .. I said to a co worker "These tossers had no manners, I'll put money on it when I go back they won't have put any wood on the fire for themselves." .. Yep .. they were all staring at mobile phones with the fire nearly dying out so I tossed a few bits of wood on and cheerfully reminded some fat tattooed tosser "It's fine for you to keep putting wood on the fire?" .. "Oh! .. I suppose that's my job is it!?" .. " .. actually? .. yes. It is." They were tourists, not locals I should add. Building fires for guests wasn't part of my job duties.

Loving the cheeky pose of the guy lying on the grass. It has perfectly captured the moment of a man who has casually fallen. In terms of composition, the picture would be more balanced if there was less grass at the bottom and the viewpoint raised slightly to show the buildings, treeline and sky.

Here’s how a professional deals with such a scene.

1621584687512.jpeg

Loving the cheeky pose of the guy lying on the grass. It has perfectly captured the moment of a man who has casually fallen. In terms of composition, the picture would be more balanced if there was less grass at the bottom and the viewpoint raised slightly to show the buildings, treeline and sky.

Here’s how a professional deals with such a scene.

View attachment 39687
There are times when giving up alcohol feels a bit of a chore. Then I see pictures like this and think 'thank god I gave up alcohol!'

lt’s not binary, you know: Either (a) Teetotal, or (b) Lying in a puddle of your own waste in Bigg Market at 0300 on a Sunday.

maximus otter
I remember the 80s riots and how journos were scattered around the country eager to report the next flashpoint. One found a policeman had been bitten in an incident in Newcastle.

’Brixton, Toxteth. Is Newcastle the next flashpoint?’

’Nah man. It’s always like this on a Friday neet’.

Fire pit, gravel protected so not on grass, I built and lit the fire which was as big as I was allowed to and those families in this photo were lovely people .. unlike a few weeks later when I tried to do it again for some other people who couldn't even be arsed to keep the fire going even though I'd dumped a wheel barrow full of wood right next to the fire for them after building and lighting it before going off to do other duties .. I said to a co worker "These tossers had no manners, I'll put money on it when I go back they won't have put any wood on the fire for themselves." .. Yep .. they were all staring at mobile phones with the fire nearly dying out so I tossed a few bits of wood on and cheerfully reminded some fat tattooed tosser "It's fine for you to keep putting wood on the fire?" .. "Oh! .. I suppose that's my job is it!?" .. " .. actually? .. yes. It is." They were tourists, not locals I should add. Building fires for guests wasn't part of my job duties.
It’s not really a fire pit though is it? I wouldn’t even burn a witch on that scraggy area.

lt’s not binary, you know: Either (a) Teetotal, or (b) Lying in a puddle of your own waste in Bigg Market at 0300 on a Sunday.

maximus otter

I remember the 80s riots and how journos were scattered around the country eager to report the next flashpoint. One found a policeman had been bitten in an incident in Newcastle.

’Brixton, Toxteth. Is Newcastle the next flashpoint?’

’Nah man. It’s always like this on a Friday neet’.
I moved away from the North East many years ago but I frequented the Bigg Market in my younger drinking years. I have yet to find another place that is anything like it. Yeah it gets a bit fisty-cuffs at kicking out time but before that it is absolutely great. You have to catch the wave though - the crowds seem to instinctively know where and when to go next. If you miss it you'll have a boring night.

And me, I just frame it as being similar to the adage that you have a set number of heartbeats in a lifetime, you also have a set number of drinks, and I got there rather early.
For me it's alcohol-induced migraines. One very small drink and I'm flat on the floor vomiting my bowels up.

Sorry, were you eating?

I don't think I'm going to bother the prize positions any time soon on my (currently) 224.
But then maybe I like it down here with the hoi-polloi.
Hoi, who are you calling polloi!

I'm game for anything that has cake involved.

Back