• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Do Points Make? Board Trophies & Titles

... I find that I can design and establish trophies for a number of seemingly pointless 'achievements' ('Username includes the word fish', 'User has been banned', 'User becomes a moderator' 'User arrived via a search engine', 'User has linked to their facebook account' etc.), but the only one I intend to implement is a high ratio of LIKES to POSTS--I just need to figure out the threshold to deserve a prize and how to establish a minimum number of posts before the crtiterion is applied (to avoid 1 POST, 2 LIKES = 200%!).

A strictly ratio-based trophy criterion would seem to disadvantage veteran members with lots of postings prior to the arrival of the 'like' feature. Conversely, it would be advantageous to newer members whose 'body of work' wholly or mostly dated to the 'likes era'.

Do your available control / configuration options allow for setting criteria with respect to posts rather than users?

If so - I'd suggest a trophy point award for producing a post that garnered more than X likes.

A strictly ratio-based trophy criterion would seem to disadvantage veteran members with lots of postings prior to the arrival of the 'like' feature. Conversely, it would be advantageous to newer members whose 'body of work' wholly or mostly dated to the 'likes era'.

Do your available control / configuration options allow for setting criteria with respect to posts rather than users?

If so - I'd suggest a trophy point award for producing a post that garnered more than X likes.

Does it matter, though? Is it a competition? :D

There are a lot of options that could potentially affect one another.
Will have to experiment/investigate.

There are a lot of options that could potentially affect one another.
Will have to experiment/investigate.
Can I please have a bespoke and unique to me only 'SOLID GOLD BUT PLUG' award ? .. I might have to do a massive flounce if you say no, screw everyone else, I'm in it to win it .. (I said"might") ..

Hmm......I'm confused, which in my case is not unusual...but I joined on July26 2015 yet I was just given a 1 year Trophy anniversary award....?
But in actual fact I had joined some years back and was gone for awhile and when I came back for some reason was unable to use the same name and password so I had to re-register. I never could figure that out.
o_O

Can I please have a bespoke and unique to me only 'SOLID GOLD BUT PLUG' award ? .. I might have to do a massive flounce if you say no, screw everyone else, I'm in it to win it .. (I said"might") ..

I'll have to put the matter before a full meeting of the moderation team.

That's scheduled for summer 2018.

If you can just hang on for a little while, I'll be in touch.

Hmm......I'm confused, which in my case is not unusual...but I joined on July26 2015 yet I was just given a 1 year Trophy anniversary award....?
But in actual fact I had joined some years back and was gone for awhile and when I came back for some reason was unable to use the same name and password so I had to re-register. I never could figure that out.
o_O

If you can tell me your original username, I will merge it into your original ID and all will be well.

o_O

Is it drwu23?

Yith should change your name to 'SWIFTY THE SOLID GOLD BUTT' PLUG'.

Yith should change your name to 'SWIFTY THE SOLID GOLD BUTT' PLUG'.

;)

Does it matter, though? Is it a competition? :D

No - it certainly doesn't matter ...

The problem with inter-member feedback affordances (such as 'likes') is that they inevitably become games in and of themselves (for at least some members).

The most constructive options I've seen are those that link 'feedback score' to specific content / contributions.

What do you mean by that?

It depends on the forum 'culture' - i.e., the context of what the forum (etc.) is intended to achieve / provide.

Overlaying core interactions with inter-participant feedback features isn't new - either for open / public sites (where it dates back to the USENET days ... ) or for more private / local group collaboration spaces.

There's a tendency for such features to mutate into a sort of runaway side-game of 'who likes whom' rather than 'who likes what'.

My intended point (based on experience ... ) was that it can help to configure 'rewards' so that they accrete on the basis of what someone contributes (as evaluated in light of the site's overall context) rather than the mere fact of posting.

If rewards are bestowed on the basis of (e.g.) 'likes count' alone, they lose what little significance they may have. The person who posts 100 relatively empty drive-by posts (e.g., 'LOL'; a single emoticon, etc.) ends up scored just as highly as the person who posts 100 substantive contributions.

More simply stated: Gear the rewards to reward contributing to whatever the relevant powers-that-be want members to provide.

It depends on the forum 'culture' - i.e., the context of what the forum (etc.) is intended to achieve / provide.

Overlaying core interactions with inter-participant feedback features isn't new - either for open / public sites (where it dates back to the USENET days ... ) or for more private / local group collaboration spaces.

There's a tendency for such features to mutate into a sort of runaway side-game of 'who likes whom' rather than 'who likes what'.

My intended point (based on experience ... ) was that it can help to configure 'rewards' so that they accrete on the basis of what someone contributes (as evaluated in light of the site's overall context) rather than the mere fact of posting.

If rewards are bestowed on the basis of (e.g.) 'likes count' alone, they lose what little significance they may have. The person who posts 100 relatively empty drive-by posts (e.g., 'LOL'; a single emoticon, etc.) ends up scored just as highly as the person who posts 100 substantive contributions.

More simply stated: Gear the rewards to reward contributing to whatever the relevant powers-that-be want members to provide.

WHOOOOSSSHHH! :D

Does anyone care about how many points other people get though?

... Does anyone care about how many points other people get though?

Probably not ... I certainly don't (care) ...

Then again - that wasn't what Yith asked ...

If such features are to be left as meaningless side-shows, they can't serve as anything other than distractions. Do we need more distractions? Or is it the case that providing (anti-)social media style features is worthwhile in attracting new members?

See above.

Will set up a 15-year annivesary as soon as I finish this next bottle of wine.

Edit: done--somebody post to let me know when it pops up.

Edit2: it has popped up.
Relax, I'm in no rush. Hope it's a good wine. :)

Ok, I understand your point now, although I confess--perhaps too late--that there was no overarching theme to the points/trophies I set up. I literally just took those that were operational as standard, renamed and redescribed them and extended them into greater numbers. The only objective was idle amusement--as the messages on receipt/descriptions should indicate, although I don't think that some kind of acknowledgment of the quantity or durations of contribution to the board does any harm.

As it is, we have points/trophies for the number of posts, the number of likes and the duration registered--I'm not sure there's a way of distinguishing frivolous from meaningful LIKES, but I don't think anybody here is going to take the pursuit of points too seriously.

Last edited:
I wasn't promoting any wholesale change(s) or anything ... All I wanted to do was suggest an angle (other than whimsical randomness) on what might be done with additional versions.

I wasn't promoting any wholesale change(s) or anything ... All I wanted to do was suggest an angle (other than whimsical randomness) on what might be done with additional versions.

Feedback, suggestions and criticism are always welcome and I'm grateful.

;)
Which pub is it in? And is there anything other than which of the bottles on the top shelf you will sampling on the agenda?

Probably not ... I certainly don't (care) ...

Then again - that wasn't what Yith asked ...

If such features are to be left as meaningless side-shows, they can't serve as anything other than distractions. Do we need more distractions? Or is it the case that providing (anti-)social media style features is worthwhile in attracting new members?

You may be overthinking here. It might be just a case of Yith needing something to fiddle with. ;)

You may be overthinking here. It might be just a case of Yith needing something to fiddle with. ;)
1430857821_1592303426.jpg

I was awarded one year, five year and 10 year anniversary trophies simultaneously yesterday. I've actually been round since February 2003...

Back