• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Triangular UFO Sightings

It appears on this webpage for the TV series Unsolved Mysteries:
That's a great help, thanks so much.

I'm still trying to establish where my copy of this depiction originated - most likely scanned from 'UFO Magazine'.

Meantime, I have also now uncovered some old issues of, 'UFO Magazine', with material therein I had been searching for.

One is a feature article entitled, 'The Flying Triangle Mystery', from the July/August 1996 issue.

Whilst reading this again tonight, for the first time time since, I was struck by how many of the reported incidents were familiar.

Discovered why they should be...

I had contributed that portion of the publication!

Goodness sakes... nearly 25 years ago and still chasing those shadows...

Separately, there is a photograph published in the May/June, 1995 issue, which is of particular, related interest.

The accompanying story, explains a recollection which had proved puzzling.

Need to research this further first of all.

Incidentally, I met some of the Belgian air force pilots directly involved with those early cases - they were attending the ensuing 'UFO Magazine' conference in Leeds.

The way it's colored feels wrong too. A blimp in the same place/time would be lit by the yellow glow of the street lights. This looks like moonlight with the moon near the horizon.

Hmmm which direction is the camera facing? Actually it probably doesn't matter. I can't make out that much in the lighting.

This is the photo and background story I recalled and it has nothing to do with Belgium at all...

I can't readily find any further information online regarding this.

Anyone help?

IMG_20200318_044501_resize_64.jpg

IMG_20200318_044824_resize_94.jpg

IMG_20200318_045152_resize_97.jpg

Incidentally, I met some of the Belgian air force pilots directly involved with those early cases - they were attending the ensuing 'UFO Magazine' conference in Leeds.
According to the Wikipedia article, and other sources of information I've read over the years, the Belgian pilots did not make visual contact with these phenomena - only radar contact. Is that your recollection?

This is the supposed 'real' Belgian UFO image. with caption. Allegedly taken by J.S. Henrardi.
TriangleBelgium1990.jpg

Caption: Flying triangle claimed to have been photographed on June 15, during the 1990 Belgian UFO Flap, over Wallonia, Belgium. It was posted online in 2003, 13 years after the flap.
Naturally I am skeptical, especially since the main events occured on 29 November 1989 and 30 March 1990, but the June 15 sighting seems to consist of a photo only, which seems very suspicious.
------------------------
------------------------
This is the faked photo produced by Patrick Maréchal.
belg89.jpg

------------------------
------------------------

which looks suspiciously like the Henrardi image, and also like the picture taken by Graham Blake, as posted here
index.php

To my eye they all look to be exactly the same kind of fake. A close-up image of an illuminated triangle, (probably a small model) with little or no context.

This is the supposed 'real' Belgian UFO image. with caption. Allegedly taken by J.S. Henrardi.
TriangleBelgium1990.jpg

To my eye they all look to be exactly the same kind of fake. A close-up image of an illuminated triangle, (probably a small model) with little or no context.
I disagree... why? well this:
belg89.png

suddenly it looks similar enough that it could be an edited copy.

I wondered the same thing. They might be the same model shot seconds apart, or simply the same image subjected to pre-Photoshop trickery in the studio. The fact that they both have slight ghosting is significant, I think.

A person I have worked around now and again for about nine years told me about an experience he had in '82 or '83. The individual we will call "Johnny" was in high school at the time in California. He was driving with two other guys to a friend's house to pick her up so they could go party at a nearby lake that evening . They were driving on a road about four miles from Placer Elementary School:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...1s0x809b1c494ff2eb4d:0x43e10613044ed28a?hl=en
As they were driving along, the car's engine suddenly sputtered and cut out and they came to a stop. It seemed to get very dark, and they looked up and were confronted with a huge black triangle, something as large as a football field, noiselessly hovering in the air, only about 15 or 20 feet over the tops of the short oak trees... The object had lights at the three corners and a few other dimmer lights in other places. It began to slowly move off behind the trees and away, and then in an instant it was gone ; it moved quickly or was no longer visible.
Johnny has no knowledge of the UFO phenomenon, and gets stressed by UFO information. I consider Johnny to be a very honest and frankly, good, person. His two friends also believe they saw what he did.
Johnny claims they lost time and were a couple of hours late to their friend's house.

After a few minutes of searching I found:
http://www.nicap.org/chronos/1983fullrep.htm

A bunch of triangles and even cars being stopped, too.

"Feb. 19, 1983; Swansea, Glamorgan, South Wales
Daytime. Up to 200 people observed a huge triangular shaped UFO pass overhead in various places along the South Wales coast. They included a class of schoolchildren and a football team. In Swansea two detectives, DS Mike Troake and DC Gethen Humphreys saw the object glide overhead in total silence. DS Troake said, “I’m used to seeing aircraft in the sky but this was massive-much bigger than a plane. There was a large main cluster of lights at the front shaped a bit like a Zeppelin followed by a triangular group of lights. They moved gracefully across the sky about 1000 feet up.” Fearful of ridicule neither officer reported the incident to their colleagues. UFO CLASSIFICATION NL (NOCTURNAL LIGHT) On Duty sighting. 2 Officers. Source: Sunday Mirror 20/02/83 (Source: THE 5TH ANNUAL PRUFOS POLICE REPORT 2006 by Detective Constable 1877 Heseltine British Transport Police."

"Feb. 19, 1983; Swansea, Glamorgan, South Wales
Daytime. Up to 200 people observed a huge triangular shaped UFO pass overhead in various places along the South Wales coast. They included a class of schoolchildren and a football team. In Swansea two detectives, DS Mike Troake and DC Gethen Humphreys saw the object glide overhead in total silence. DS Troake said, “I’m used to seeing aircraft in the sky but this was massive-much bigger than a plane. There was a large main cluster of lights at the front shaped a bit like a Zeppelin followed by a triangular group of lights. They moved gracefully across the sky about 1000 feet up.” Fearful of ridicule neither officer reported the incident to their colleagues. UFO CLASSIFICATION NL (NOCTURNAL LIGHT) On Duty sighting. 2 Officers. Source: Sunday Mirror 20/02/83 (Source: THE 5TH ANNUAL PRUFOS POLICE REPORT 2006 by Detective Constable 1877 Heseltine British Transport Police."
Was this daytime or night-time? This appears to mix up two different reports. Where are the accounts from the 200 daytime witnesses?

Was this daytime or night-time? This appears to mix up two different reports. Where are the accounts from the 200 daytime witnesses?
Hi, I'm not sure; I think it might be two sightings, but I have no idea.

Mystery as 'triangle-shaped' UFO is spotted flying over Kilmarnock park

The dark-coloured craft was spied in the town last week.

Source: Daily Record
Date: 22/24 January, 2020

An appeal for information has been launched after a UFO was spotted flying over a Kilmarnock park.

A mysterious object spied hovering over the Howard Park last week.

Now one Kilmarnock resident want to know if anyone else saw the mysterious aircraft in the town on Tuesday, January 14.

The woman, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Kilmarnock Standard: "I was driving to my work on Tuesday morning and I saw this huge thing flying over the Howard Park.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...tery-triangle-shaped-ufo-spotted-21334922.amp

I think I may have seen the same object the same day , and it wasn't a UFO. I was driving to Kilmarnock that morning, some time after 8am as it was fairly light. I could see an arrangement of 4 white lights heading in my general direction. The object seemed to be moving relatively slowly, and as it got closer it did look triangular(ish). A minute two later it became apparent what it was as if flew alongside the opposite carriageway of the road. It was a large military transport aircraft. They fly in and out of Prestwick Airport regularly, and this was probably a training flight considering the flightpath. I saw one again a few days later while driving and until I was fairly close it did look strange.

Last edited:
According to the Wikipedia article, and other sources of information I've read over the years, the Belgian pilots did not make visual contact with these phenomena - only radar contact. Is that your recollection?
Yes and some dubiety concerning this - nothing definitive.

Alternatively...

....yea, real problem and typical of, I suppose, many Fortean subjects - ghosts, poltergeists, cryptozoolog, etc.

You can cite photographic evidence, however I have learnt over time, as so many of us, that in the realms of, 'Strange but True'?.. that question mark is key.

Anyway, this is all really helpful and we soldier on!

Personally, I don't regard the Belgian cases as being instrumental, there's such a vast store of other data.

Speaking of which, I will separately post a video of related interest.

Still slso following up these photographs and delving through my UFO archives!

Came across this footage and wondered - bang on topic heading - what's to be made of same.

Other than purported filmed in Rajasthan, I can't locate any background story here...

Should this be genuine footage, it most certainly is puzzling.

Hope so, I really like this because it's so weird!

Came across this footage and wondered - bang on topic heading - what's to be made of same.

Other than purported filmed in Rajasthan, I can't locate any background story here...

Should this be genuine footage, it most certainly is puzzling.

Hope so, I really like this because it's so weird!

Interesting film, but surely a fake, either by using a drone with added effects or completely CGI. (Flitest on You Tube have flown similar rc vehicles) One wonders why the person filming didn't move so that the tree wasn't obscuring the view. I do like this stuff though.

lways our default and probably increasingly so.

Is that something which has been determined, or your own assessment?

I have only located one other online reference to it - this time a photo or video frame.
Or.... an artwork by Jose Sanchez!

Seems to be his representation, from having viewed the footage.

interesting picture, it seems to be a painting of the object in the video.
Yup, signiture and copyright notice.

Explains why that image isn't in the actual footage.

Must surely be more background info re the video, somewhere?

Of quite considerable interest - this article was first published on 12 September, 2004, by the respected space.com website:

Silent Running: 'Black Triangle' Sightings on the Rise

https://www.space.com/amp/302-silent-running-black-triangle-sightings-rise.html

So... essentially our mystery being rationally discussed, as a possible reality, fifteen years ago.

Given that any such technology, as would be implied, must have been developed and perfected over many years previously...

As I have frequently highlighted, there are comparative and detailed reports going back to the mid 1970s.

Consequently, if an indigenous capability existed then, it presumably can only have origins going back to...

...what..., say the late 1960s or early 1970s?

All of this remaining clandestine for anything remotely approaching that timescale has to be untenable.

As for their tendency to seemingly, habitually have little better to do than hang around in the dark and silently sneaking up on folks... that's madness.

However, we do have yet again, a depiction of something which is furthermore, preposterously enormous...

More on that aspect, shortly...

Of quite considerable interest - this article was first published on 12 September, 2004, by the respected space.com website:

Silent Running: 'Black Triangle' Sightings on the Rise

https://www.space.com/amp/302-silent-running-black-triangle-sightings-rise.html

So... essentially our mystery being rationally discussed, as a possible reality, fifteen years ago.

Given that any such technology, as would be implied, must have been developed and perfected over many years previously...

As I have frequently highlighted, there are comparative and detailed reports going back to the mid 1970s.

Consequently, if an indigenous capability existed then, it presumably can only have origins going back to...

...what..., say the late 1960s or early 1970s?

All of this remaining clandestine for anything remotely approaching that timescale has to be untenable.

As for their tendency to seemingly, habitually have little better to do than hang around in the dark and silently sneaking up on folks... that's madness.

However, we do have yet again, a depiction of something which is furthermore, preposterously enormous...

More on that aspect, shortly...
Or it's not a weird thing? That article mentioned that there is only one thing they noted in their analysis that was inconsistent with secret military testing: flights in public areas.

I'd had a theory that some ufos are the result of testing whether ground observers will notice a stealth craft.

Or it's not a weird thing? That article mentioned that there is only one thing they noted in their analysis that was inconsistent with secret military testing: flights in public areas.
Thanks for bringing this up - brilliant!

Immensely fascinating, as I understood the data utilised, was no longer available online.

Seems there may actually be sufficient archived material for a retrospective analysis.

Some 15 years on, it now presents an intriguing perspective.

Personally, I would confidently have predicted 15 years ago, there was not the remotest possibility it would all have been revealed and explained away as the deceptive by-product of a blindingly (sic) successful, clandestine operation.

Where has there been any evidence of this?

Are we really saying, not one semblance of a leak in the media? Even the Stealth program had plenty of them.

NIDS conclusion was, seemingly, that only some form of covert military aviation development could possibly be responsible.

Why.. because an acceptance of anything other than craft which were "human-made" was, "not testable".

However, to sustain their hypothesis, one God Almighty sacrifice was compelled upon them.

These pinnacles of ultimate secrecy were being flown up and down highways, over densely populated areas and all with a disregard for...

... well, you can see where this is leading.

That's bonkers ludicrous and the abject antithesis of 'TOP SECRET'...

Surely what is intrinsically untenable, is an acquiesce, 'well, that's solved then'...

*Fifteen years later*, nothing has been solved:

Massive black triangle UFO over New Lambton Heights in 1999

"We could see it coming towards us. I said, 'we’re about to find out what this thing is'.

"We were absolutely stunned. I said 'what the hell is that?'. This thing was coming towards us at no more than 25km/h.

"It was about 30 metres high, just above the tallest eucalyptus tree.

A massive triangular-shaped craft flew above them.

"It was travelling so low, you could have thrown a rock and hit it. It was directly above our heads," he said.

"He said the UFO had five lights, including a massive orange light in its centre.

"It was kind of like the inside of an orange when you cut an orange in half," he said.

The orange light itself, he said, was about "three quarters the size of a football field".

The triangular craft was much bigger.

It appeared to be made of a substance that he likened to "black glass or titanium".

"This thing was absolutely huge. It was 50 to 100 times the size of a 747," he estimated.

"It was a massive ship. It seemed to float on air. There were no engines, no flames, no sound. It was completely silent. It was absolutely beautiful.
[END OF EXTRACT]

What did NIDS make of this account from Australia and countless others similar, from all over the planet?

Comfortable this fitted the profile...?

I'm just not quite so sure and hopefully reasons why, adequately emphasised.

Great feedback, gave myself much to think about there. :thought:

:btime:

:rtrules:

:dunno:

It always makes me wonder if something like the larger Aereon 'Dynairship' designs have been developed as a black miltary project. Rigid-bodied airships with and aerodynamic shape and maybe some sort of exotic or well-buried propulsion. The Aereon concepts date back to the 1960s.
View attachment 24454
I vaguely remember having watched a documentary about blimps and dirigibles that claimed the shape was about maximizing the structural integrity. IE a cigar shaped object is less prone to breaking than an object of the same weight and volume that's a disk.

This thing is like "what if we wanted to make a dirigible faster?". The first recorded uses of lighter than air craft in combat were forms of surveillance and this thing looks like it could do that. But it's quite large for a surveillance craft.

At any rate we know that US R&D has actually produced an aircraft that is black and has a nearly triangular shape. The idea they're making more is plausible at least.

Reading that (very interesting) link,the only triangular Aereon design that was ever flown was orange, not black, and was a heavier-than-air craft. Quite small, too, judging from this image.
aereon.png

Reading that link (very interesting) the only triangular Aereon design that was ever flown was orange, not black, and was a heavier-than-air craft. Quite small, too, judging from this image.

That guy on the right is giving the alien gesture of "hello" so I believe it.

Not sure that prop would last a minute in actual flight.

It's an old style, but that wooden prop design used to be quite common and works reasonably well. the shape of the blade is a bit more fan like because it's designed for what is by modern standards relatively low RPMs.

According to the PDF that is the Aereon 26 prototype, which did function properly in test flights, but got grounded when the "used engine" failed.
Aereon26.png

oh hey the PDF had a weblink that still works: https://alchetron.com/AEREON-26

Apparently that propeller is a custom one-off: "a third propeller was carved to order from yellow birch by Sensenich Propeller and fitted in time for the 26's second series of flight tests in 1971."

Back