• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Dying People See

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient

Dying people see very specific things in final moments before they pass away​

‘Julie is often around death due to her job, with hospice care focusing on helping terminally ill patients reduce their pain and suffering.

According to her, it's extremely common for dying patients to see dead friends, relatives and even old pets.

She said it happens so often that they put it in their 'educational packets that they give to patients and their loved ones' but that she can't explain why this occurs.’

From a spiritual point of view I’d say as people are getting closer to the next world they are seeing loved ones already there. Similarly maybe kids see more otherworldly things because they have not long joined our plane of existence.

Source:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health/dying-people-see-very-specific-29992890

‘Julie is often around death due to her job, with hospice care focusing on helping terminally ill patients reduce their pain and suffering.

According to her, it's extremely common for dying patients to see dead friends, relatives and even old pets.

She said it happens so often that they put it in their 'educational packets that they give to patients and their loved ones' but that she can't explain why this occurs.’

From a spiritual point of view I’d say as people are getting closer to the next world they are seeing loved ones already there. Similarly maybe kids see more otherworldly things because they have not long joined our plane of existence.
While visiting my husband in the hospital this past week, I spoke with a very interesting anesthesiologist. I was asking her questions about those being put 'to sleep' with anesthesia, and if many of them report speaking with the dead, as has happened to me.
She replied that she had heard similar stories, and brushed on hypnosis, saying that there are many levels to the human consciousness, and that the number of levels is not even known.

I had an uncle who was very ill and, one night my cousin went up to see him and was surprised to see how cheerful he was. He asked why and my uncle said that two of his older brothers had came to visit (both had been dead for many years) and told him they'd be picking him up later to go to a family reunion and everyone was looking forward to seeing him again.
When he was leaving my cousin chatted to a couple of nurses and mentioned this. An older nurse took him to one side and, with a knowing look told him he'd better stay the night.
My uncle died during the night. My cousin asked the nurse how she knew and she said she'd seen that happen before.

Recently sitting with someone who was dying, who was fully expecting to be reunited with their deceased parents and a sibling in short order, I asked them now and then who was in the room with us. They'd say 'Just the nurse!'

I was there until the end and the person showed no signs of seeing anyone except me.
This doesn't mean they didn't of course, just that they weren't telling me, although they were talking lucidly until very near their death.

I had an uncle who was very ill and, one night my cousin went up to see him and was surprised to see how cheerful he was. He asked why and my uncle said that two of his older brothers had came to visit (both had been dead for many years) and told him they'd be picking him up later to go to a family reunion and everyone was looking forward to seeing him again.
When he was leaving my cousin chatted to a couple of nurses and mentioned this. An older nurse took him to one side and, with a knowing look told him he'd better stay the night.
My uncle died during the night. My cousin asked the nurse how she knew and she said she'd seen that happen before.
We might have a thread on this. I have contributed experiences about it from my hospital and care home work.

One very elderly lady claimed to have been visited every night by her mother at a time when the patient was very near death.
She recovered but we knew this was a temporary rally and sure enough, she soon peacefully died.

There's clearly enough anecdotal evidence from medical professionals for us to be sure that there is a phenomenon. Some dying people have experiences that they interpret as communicating with deceased loved ones. Also, some dying people appear to know when it is their last day or night alive.

The second part of this - knowing that it is your last day or night alive - could be cause and effect in either direction. The body could be about to expire, and the intuition of the subconscious mind could manifest as an apparent "premonition". Alternatively, the person could reach a point where they feel ready to die, and the body could be responding to this mental "letting go".

As for the visions of deceased loved ones, the phenomenon clearly exists, but how do we explain it?

One set of possible explanations relies on combination of stuff we already know about: hallucinations at times of physical and mental distress; cultural expectations; wishful thinking.

The other set of possible explanations relies on speculation loosely based on cultural/religious factors, and includes a number of unsupported suppositions about the existence of an afterlife, and "alternative dimensions and stuff".

I personally prefer an explanation based on the things we already know about. Be that as it may, it is clearly a comforting phenomenon for many people, and perhaps should not be analysed too deeply for fear of spoiling the magic.

There's clearly enough anecdotal evidence from medical professionals for us to be sure that there is a phenomenon. Some dying people have experiences that they interpret as communicating with deceased loved ones. Also, some dying people appear to know when it is their last day or night alive.

The second part of this - knowing that it is your last day or night alive - could be cause and effect in either direction. The body could be about to expire, and the intuition of the subconscious mind could manifest as an apparent "premonition". Alternatively, the person could reach a point where they feel ready to die, and the body could be responding to this mental "letting go".

As for the visions of deceased loved ones, the phenomenon clearly exists, but how do we explain it?

One set of possible explanations relies on combination of stuff we already know about: hallucinations at times of physical and mental distress; cultural expectations; wishful thinking.

The other set of possible explanations relies on speculation loosely based on cultural/religious factors, and includes a number of unsupported suppositions about the existence of an afterlife, and "alternative dimensions and stuff".

I personally prefer an explanation based on the things we already know about. Be that as it may, it is clearly a comforting phenomenon for many people, and perhaps should not be analysed too deeply for fear of spoiling the magic.
The problem is that people see people who are deceased, not hallucinations of living people... and sometimes the dying person is confused because they see someone they believe to still be alive... and the family has shielded them from the knowledge of their loved one's death in order not to upset them.

I wonder if people only see 'loved ones', or if they also see people that they never particularly liked too?

I’m curious about this aspect too. I‘ve never got on with my dad - in fact we have been estranged for over ten years with no contact at all between us. Assuming he predeceases me (I think he’s still alive), can I expect him to appear at the end of my deathbed along with my ’proper’ loved-ones like my mother, my grandparents and the cat?

I can’t imagine anything worse than spending eternity cooped up with that utter arsehole.

My maternal grandmother was living in a nursing home when she died.

The weekend before she died, somehow, all of her family (kids and grandkids) had been in to visit her. No one had planned this.

She was not at end of life, just general agedness and chronic health concerns.

My one sister visited her on the Monday and she (sister) told us that grandma was dressed up and her eyes were bright blue. When leaving, my grandma said to my sister "Bye dear." My sister responded "See you later grandma". Grandma said "Bye dear." She died that night.

So did she know? It seems she did. Though, there are many people who hide how really sick they are from their family, so is that how she knew? It was unusual for her to be dressed up for a regular visit.

The problem is that people see people who are deceased, not hallucinations of living people... and sometimes the dying person is confused because they see someone they believe to still be alive... and the family has shielded them from the knowledge of their loved one's death in order not to upset them.
I suspect that many of us dream of loved ones, old friends, and so on in the normal course of events. Most dreams go unreported - thankfully, as there is little more boring than someone else's dream.

However, there is a special importance to our memories of the last days of loved ones, and whatever they say they have "seen" tends to be reported, and we tend to hang onto and interpret every word that the dying person says. A sort of selection bias, possibly connected with "waking dreams".

Also, just because someone has never been told directly that someone has died, doesn't mean they haven't read between the lines. Most of us are very bad at keeping secrets.

In the weeks before one of my friend's 100 year old mother died she kept complaining that a young man kept coming into her room.
She also kept complaining about drums keeping her awake.
When she lived in Sri Lanka she had lived next to a Buddhist temple.

there is little more boring than someone else's dream.
I disagree. :)

Sometimes I'll read or be told about someone else's apparently puzzling dream and find the meaning so blatantly obvious that I'm stunned at their incomprehension. This happens regularly on'ere.

Just the fact that they'd felt moved to share a dream meant it was significant.
Nothing paranormal going on, just the old subconscious blaring out.

Interestingly, when I was young I was involved in a dreadful accident, and ended up the hospital.
I was given the last rites, they did not expect me to recover.
But I was fine, and I've looked back on that time wondering if any of the deceased paid me a visit, but all I can remember is 'blackness', I saw nothing.
I don't understand if that is because it was not my time yet, but for someone like me (who the dead like to visit), it is truly puzzling.

Source:
I remember reading in a book about NDE's, a young girl who had a terminal illness and hadn't been pre-deceased by any close family members (I think she was about fourteen), reported seeing her old dog who had died, coming to visit her just before she died.

Hello all....
Fascinating subject, and if I may add my tuppence worth, from personal experience, and I mean direct first hand...

Last July the 27th, I went for a drink with my Wife, spur of the moment - I picked the pub... we were going through a very intense period of separation, brought on by myself- I’ll spare you the gory details- though we were keeping things as civil as possible...

Well during the latter part of the evening ( there was some drinking, but not excessive by our standards l had 1 pint and 2 glasses of wine, I never managed to finish the 3rd)... it transpired that (probably) during the second wine, I was dosed with Rohypnol.

Long story short- and I can only relate what I was told to me by my Wife, Daughter, the paramedics and the hospital Acute Medical Ward staff- I rapidly went of control in the pub and after some “ adventures “ in getting me home, my Wife and I retired for the night- even though I appeared disturbed and very argumentative, and at around 1.00 AM in our bedroom after a particularity loud exchange - I stopped in mid sentence and collapsed.
Initially my Wife thought I’d finally “zonked” out- but as I’d folded up with my face in my lap She rolled me back, only to find my eyes wide open and totally unresponsive, She admitted later to poking my in the eyes ( in case I was faking) and hitting me hard around the face to the degree my inner cheek was badly split the next day and I wasn’t breathing and She couldn’t find any pulse. admitted later that at that moment She panicked and froze.

Luckily our Daughter was in the process of coming into our room - our arguing had woken Her up, and after doing the usual checks on me, finding no pulse or breathing, started CPR. They were on the phone live to the Ambulance and doing a running commentary whilst awaiting the Paramedics.
Despite our Daughters best efforts, I wasn’t responding, no pulse, no breathing, and by then had been “ dead” for 7 minutes...now they did get me going after 8 minutes, but I relapsed- twice and in total I was “ dead” for a total of 16 minutes, when the Paramedics arrived and shocked me into a responsive state, where I finally did stay breathing and my heart kept going.

I have utterly no recollection of this going on, but bizarrely, all I can say is that whilst I was “ dead” - and for quite a while...i remember nothing, I saw absolutely nothing, no light, no tunnel no past relatives, no feeling of anything at all except a sensation of blankness, and darkness...

I know that the state of “ Death” is a problematic one, in many cases, but I can only speak and tell you my experience...

Hello all....
Fascinating subject, and if I may add my tuppence worth, from personal experience, and I mean direct first hand...

Last July the 27th, I went for a drink with my Wife, spur of the moment - I picked the pub... we were going through a very intense period of separation, brought on by myself- I’ll spare you the gory details- though we were keeping things as civil as possible...

Well during the latter part of the evening ( there was some drinking, but not excessive by our standards l had 1 pint and 2 glasses of wine, I never managed to finish the 3rd)... it transpired that (probably) during the second wine, I was dosed with Rohypnol.

Long story short- and I can only relate what I was told to me by my Wife, Daughter, the paramedics and the hospital Acute Medical Ward staff- I rapidly went of control in the pub and after some “ adventures “ in getting me home, my Wife and I retired for the night- even though I appeared disturbed and very argumentative, and at around 1.00 AM in our bedroom after a particularity loud exchange - I stopped in mid sentence and collapsed.
Initially my Wife thought I’d finally “zonked” out- but as I’d folded up with my face in my lap She rolled me back, only to find my eyes wide open and totally unresponsive, She admitted later to poking my in the eyes ( in case I was faking) and hitting me hard around the face to the degree my inner cheek was badly split the next day and I wasn’t breathing and She couldn’t find any pulse. admitted later that at that moment She panicked and froze.

Luckily our Daughter was in the process of coming into our room - our arguing had woken Her up, and after doing the usual checks on me, finding no pulse or breathing, started CPR. They were on the phone live to the Ambulance and doing a running commentary whilst awaiting the Paramedics.
Despite our Daughters best efforts, I wasn’t responding, no pulse, no breathing, and by then had been “ dead” for 7 minutes...now they did get me going after 8 minutes, but I relapsed- twice and in total I was “ dead” for a total of 16 minutes, when the Paramedics arrived and shocked me into a responsive state, where I finally did stay breathing and my heart kept going.

I have utterly no recollection of this going on, but bizarrely, all I can say is that whilst I was “ dead” - and for quite a while...i remember nothing, I saw absolutely nothing, no light, no tunnel no past relatives, no feeling of anything at all except a sensation of blankness, and darkness...

I know that the state of “ Death” is a problematic one, in many cases, but I can only speak and tell you my experience...
Just as I experienced - nothing. You were extremely lucky also!
I wonder if it was because it was not our time to pass on?
But I'm fine with peace and quiet, I don't need an afterlife!
I have also wondered if it is because I am not very religious, in the sense that I don't attend church services.

I hope someone will be there to help me make the transition. It can be anyone I loved in my life here on earth -or a much loved loved pet -or just a beautifiul angel. I don't worry about it. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen!
If life after death doesn't exist, I won't know about it anyway, will I?

p.s. My mum was anxious during her last week or so, but was anxious during her life, I feel.
Perhaps our mental condition dictates what we see / feel at the moment of death.
p.s 2 I've heard from my mum since her death, and she now seems to be OK :)

Interestingly, when I was young I was involved in a dreadful accident, and ended up the hospital.
I was given the last rites, they did not expect me to recover.
But I was fine, and I've looked back on that time wondering if any of the deceased paid me a visit, but all I can remember is 'blackness', I saw nothing.
I don't understand if that is because it was not my time yet, but for someone like me (who the dead like to visit), it is truly puzzling.
Maybe you were in a void or just Knocked out cold as a friend of mine had the same expericane of nothingness.

Hello all....

I have read that some people have had that with NDE then after while of being in total nothing darkness they then have seen a a small bright light that slowly gets bigger and bigger ?

Hello all....

Experiencing nothing or blankness is still experiencing something if you get my drift, if you came round and it was like waking from a sleep that's different

I have heard of cases where people have died and gone into a state of what could be described as nothingness

We don't truly know the full process of death from any aspect be it medical of spiritual, although I do suspect that those that go into a state of nothingness are destined for reincarnation, because that seems to be the memory of children who talk about living before statements such as "I died, and next thing I was here" or words to that effect, but if you get the full experience perhaps you will move on

Who knows, I certainly don't but thanks for sharing your story

Hello all....

Just for clarification. Do you mean you remember nothing as in you have no recollection or do you mean you remember a state of there being nothing?

I hope someone will be there to help me make the transition. It can be anyone I loved in my life here on earth -or a much loved loved pet -or just a beautifiul angel. I don't worry about it. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen!
If life after death doesn't exist, I won't know about it anyway, will I?

p.s. My mum was anxious during her last week or so, but was anxious during her life, I feel.
Perhaps our mental condition dictates what we see / feel at the moment of death.
p.s 2 I've heard from my mum since her death, and she now seems to be OK :)
The side of my family who are Spiritualists believe that when you die, you close your eyes and when you open them there is beautiful bright light and people you have loved who've died are there to welcome you.
My dear late Welsh Gran told me this herself. She had no fear of death.

This concept is so beautiful, I have trouble expressing it in person.

At the recent tapping demonstration, I was informed that someone close who died traumatically was indeed met by certain named and beloved late relations. I asked if this dear soul would come to meet me at the appropriate time, and was told yes, but a long time away!

I don't fear death, though I do hope it's not drawn out and horribly painful.
I definitely want to outlive Bruno my cat, as he only really loves me, and wouldn't settle with anyone else.

I'm as much Spiritualist as anything else these days, and I'm almost interested to find out what comes next.
If nothing, then I won't know that, so won't be disappointed!

I won't be totally sorry to lose my increasingly troublesome old physical body.

Just for clarification. Do you mean you remember nothing as in you have no recollection or do you mean you remember a state of there being nothing?
That’s something I’ve pondered too, all I can say with any certainly, is that from around 11.30 pm until I awoke in the Acute medical ward at 06.10 the following morning- not knowing where I was or for quite a while recognising my Wife, or even myself- I have absolutely no recollection or memory of anything...so I guess what I’m saying is during the period I “ died” around 1.00am onwards, and for the 16 of so minutes thereafter, nothing happened of I suppose, significance in all that time that left me with an impression of going on, a survival beyond the physical or any other vision, feeling or memory that so many others in NDE’s have had.

Of course FT has carried reports of people who have been declared dead and then revived-though I wasn’t breathing or had a heartbeat, does not necessarily mean I’d expired, I understand medically, death is generally regarded as brain activity ceasing, so without that monitoring I may not have been dead “ enough” to go on...
Who Knows ?

The side of my family who are Spiritualists believe that when you die, you close your eyes and when you open them there is beautiful bright light and people you have loved who've died are there to welcome you.
My dear late Welsh Gran told me this herself. She had no fear of death.

This concept is so beautiful, I have trouble expressing it in person.

At the recent tapping demonstration, I was informed that someone close who died traumatically was indeed met by certain named and beloved late relations. I asked if this dear soul would come to meet me at the appropriate time, and was told yes, but a long time away!
On my comfy sofa just now reading the above, I had a micro-dream. :)

I was lying in a single bed, in a room where I used to sleep, watching beautiful glowing spheres in bright pastel colours floating around in the air. They were a little smaller than tennis balls and seemed to contain and trail swirling mist.

Maybe it was my subconscious filling in how the psychopomps will appear. :nods:

Back