What Have You Been Doing Today?

brownmane

off kilter
Most of the evening I've been hoping that one of my cats will catch the wee mouse that wandered into my house when I had my back door open for my CATS. Otherwise I'm going to have to go out and get a trap.

30 years in the same house, cats included, and I've never had a mouse let himself in.

brownmane

off kilter
My one cat just brought a dead one in two days ago. This one today I saw walk into the room next to my livingroom. First I thought it was a leaf blowing across the floor, but then noticed that it was walking.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Got up early and caught the bus to Oxford (20 miles, 65 mins, £6.50 return) and had a good explore of the Ashmolean - well, mainly the basement cafe and the gift shop (bought three years worth of Xmas cards). Then onto the Pitt Rivers in the Natural History Museum, grabbed a baguette and latte and then home by 1:30. Oxford is a wonderful city on foot - even the new Tesco is done in yellow sandstone so it looks old and cleaned and in a few years will just look old.
If you ever get the chance to visit the Pitt Rivers museum, then grab a pith helmet and do so.

View attachment 20639 View attachment 20640
Oooh yup, we LOVE Oxford.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Most of the evening I've been hoping that one of my cats will catch the wee mouse that wandered into my house when I had my back door open for my CATS. Otherwise I'm going to have to go out and get a trap.

30 years in the same house, cats included, and I've never had a mouse let himself in.
I recently bought a humane mouse trap from the £ shop to put out if our cats bring anything in. Used to keep one in when we had hamsters and gerbils etc.
They used to be called TripTraps.

If a mouse wanders into it you have to take the whole thing outside before you open it.

The former Mr Snail opened the door on one and peered inside, and mouse shot out like a bullet into his face.

He squealed like a girl and the mouse took off up the hall, followed by several cats. I was prostrate with laughter, no use at all.

INT21

Antediluvian
In our local paper (The Keighley News), there is a front page article about some group opening up what will , essentially, be a drinkers drop-in centre. The aim being to reduce the number of street drinkers who are gathering in some places and becoming something of a nuisance.

So why bother trying to get off the stuff when you can go sit in comfort and drink ?

I haven't yet read the whole article. But I can see it being very popular amongst the tinni men(and women)

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
I recently bought a humane mouse trap from the £ shop to put out if our cats bring anything in. Used to keep one in when we had hamsters and gerbils etc.
They used to be called TripTraps.

If a mouse wanders into it you have to take the whole thing outside before you open it.

The former Mr Snail opened the door on one and peered inside, and mouse shot out like a bullet into his face.

He squealed like a girl and the mouse took off up the hall, followed by several cats. I was prostrate with laughter, no use at all.
My Dad and his brothers were brought up on a farm. My one uncle was TERRIFIED of mice. When I was younger I remember one of the cats bringing a mouse into out kitchen and he jumped up onto a chair doing a damn good impression of the lady from Tom and Jerry cartoons!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
My Dad and his brothers were brought up on a farm. My one uncle was TERRIFIED of mice. When I was younger I remember one of the cats bringing a mouse into out kitchen and he jumped up onto a chair doing a damn good impression of the lady from Tom and Jerry cartoons!
Oh yes, reminds me of another humorous event involving the hapless former Mr Snail.

A mouse was in the kitchen trying to dodge the various cats. I suggested the ex open the back door to let it out.

He wasn't quick enough so the mouse repeatedly leapt at it, landing on Ex's shins instead. He was dancing about and squealing. Again, I was of no help whatsoever until I could stop laughing enough to open the door myself and let out the mouse and cats. The mouse defeated us all and escaped.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Oh yes, reminds me of another humorous event involving the hapless former Mr Snail.

A mouse was in the kitchen trying to dodge the various cats. I suggested the ex open the back door to let it out.

He wasn't quick enough so the mouse repeatedly leapt at it, landing on Ex's shins instead. He was dancing about and squealing. Again, I was of no help whatsoever until I could stop laughing enough to open the door myself and let out the mouse and cats. The mouse defeated us all and escaped.

I can imagine it now, I would have been no use for laughing either!

You just reminded me, this same uncle once spent an hour in a tree because he mistook a Jersey cow for a bull... He's not the brightest of people!

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Do people still play board games ? (Not being critical, just wondered).
More than you'd imagine. At least three of my young colleagues are board game enthusiasts. I'm going to join them on the next outing, because it seems a lot more wholesome than my usual social activity which is getting drunk.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Moar gym. Squats and deadlifts today. Worked out a problem in my squat form, instead of looking up, if I keep a neutral head position it makes everything move so much smoother. And deficits on deadlift, standing on a plate so the bar starts lower, made my 112kg 70% of my max, working set feel like it was 20kg heavier :D

INT21

Antediluvian
Hardly anything so far. Watched YouTube most of the afternoon before going into town to buy safety razor blades. They are becoming increasingly rare.
Now pottering about in my 'lab'. Basically moving boxes of stuff around. Need to finish the BBC, and get on with the other two.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
In our local paper (The Keighley News), there is a front page article about some group opening up what will , essentially, be a drinkers drop-in centre. The aim being to reduce the number of street drinkers who are gathering in some places and becoming something of a nuisance.

So why bother trying to get off the stuff when you can go sit in comfort and drink ?

I haven't yet read the whole article. But I can see it being very popular amongst the tinni men(and women)
People won't sober up just because they should. For one thing, it can be dangerous to suddenly stop drinking.
Wouldn't you rather know drunks are being kept out of the way and not being a nuisance in public? Out of sight, out of mind. You won't need to think about them ever again.

INT21

Antediluvian
Wrong !

Just because I am aware of them and feel a slight contempt for the way they behave does not mean that I have no compassion for people who have found themselves in such a situation.

It is a very complicated subject, as you are probable more aware than most.

I feel there has to be a better way. But the above hints at the thin edge of institutionalization.

But when its down around freezing and the rain is blowing horizontally across the streets, I do hope that these unfortunates have found shelter.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Working with my new young co worker who's showing admirable spine. I like him. He wouldn't go home when I told him he could until he was sure I was OK and so kept working instead.. you don't meet people like that very often in the work place .. he's a fighter. :cool: .. full respect ..

Cochise

Antediluvian
I should explain. I'm a bass player, can do a bit of rhythm 6 string, actually wanted to be a drummer but couldn't - back in the day - afford a kit. But I am now a greybeard, have lots of young musical friends, some of whom want to be bassists (and I want to help them, not blow them away) . And practising bass is a bloody good way to drive any partners away in any case.

I was looking for an instrument that, if called upon, I could add to the talents of said friends, and which I could actually make music with when practicing.

I may have overthought this. But that's just me.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Basic bit of grocery shopping, didn't need much, so took the bus. One bus per hour on a Sunday, as opposed to two per hour. Thought there'd be a long wait for the bus home, but it arrived about five minutes after I arrived at the stop, so that's good news. Not much to report...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Oh yeah, and yesterday when things were going hilariously wrong at work I saw Jürgen Klopp.

As I don't follow t'footy I 've only seen him on TV and couldn't recall his name.

I said to someone ''ere, look, there's that footy boss man, with the beard an' specs an' baseball cap!'
My colleague sighed and replied 'Yeah, Jürgen Klopp, 'e's always 'ere...'

Mr Klopp is a nice man and I am glad to report that for him yesterday, things didn't go wrong. Not on my watch anyway.