What Have You Been Doing Today?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Just got back from the home of some old-ish friends. We were supposed to see them last Christmas, but a spanner appeared in the works and with their business and the distance between us, we've only finally managed to catch up today, ten months later.

They have a fourteen-month-old baby and, my Lord, they looked tired.

The father looks exhausted around the eyes and the mother just seemed generally strung out; pleased to see us, but with residual background stress that you can't easily disguise.

Apparently their daughter wakes every three hours (at best), and while she does nap during the day--a blessing--it isn't a matter of a cuddle, a changed nappy or a pat on the back to calm her down in the night. There also seems to be some anxiety (uncalled for, I think) that she isn't yet walking. I think, perhaps, that it may be that they don't have many friends with similarly-aged children. They had fertility issues and are several years older that most first-time parents. When our daughter was bouncing on the bed next to hers, she repeatedly tried to get up and do likewise; if that happened every day for a week or two, she'd probably succeed.

That said, we had fun and the baby was in good spirits. She couldn't remember us and was very nervous when we first arrived, but by the end of our stay she was waving and smiling and trying to give us things.

Just a reminder that it isn't always easy.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Bit of a sad start to the day - I saw a dead cat by the roadside. Poor thing.
Awww, yup, poor kitty.
We saw Pet Sematary again last night, I still hate the roadkill aspect.

Have to shout at the TV 'Why did you even buy that DANGEROUS house! Or at least put a fence up! Maybe a catio, you're a doctor, you can afford it!'

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Awww, yup, poor kitty.
We saw Pet Sematary again last night, I still hate the roadkill aspect.

Have to shout at the TV 'Why did you even buy that DANGEROUS house! Or at least put a fence up! Maybe a catio, you're a doctor, you can afford it!'
I only saw the old version and man is that guy a slow learner.

INT21

Antediluvian
Sweeping up leaves. Still half tree loads to go. Need a bit of wind. Too chilly to do much outside. Watched a bit of YouTube.

Ice on the car this morning.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Been having trouble getting my scooter (Burgman 400) to start in the mornings. Got a new battery (the previous was only a year old) to no avail so decided to change the 15 year old spark plug. Took 7 days to find where the spark plug was sited and 2 days (with much bruising) to remove it - surprisingly, the 'experts' on the internet Burgman forums were talking out of their hat. Bike worked for two days but engine sounded loud - then nightmare, I got to the station in the morning but couldn't get the bike home in the evening. Had to leave it at the station overnight and then arrange a bike pick-up to the garage. They held onto it for 6 days as I negotiated transport by Bus - until today.
Something something valves something, battery changed under warranty so just charged for pick-up and hour and half labour. Bike sounds so sweet, still grinning.

Cochise

Antediluvian
My little dog (Stanley the Welsh Terrier) has been in having several teeth out. He's 13 (91 in dog years) and you only do dog dentistry under anaesthetic for obvious reasons. So I've been trying not to extravagantly worry about him. And here he is back, slightly groggy. but eating and drinking. Relief.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
you only do dog dentistry under anaesthetic for obvious reasons
I remember that the vet eventually thought it was too risky to put our dear old doggie through the anaesthetic necessary to descale her teeth.

She did suffer some toothache in her later years, rubbing her muzzle on the carpet. Yet she retained a reasonable quality of life, until her back legs went at the age of nineteen human years! :)

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
That's great news Cochice, he sounds like a hardy lil bugger. Give him a tickle from me :D

Cochise

Antediluvian
I remember that the vet eventually thought it was too risky to put our dear old doggie through the anaesthetic necessary to descale her teeth.

She did suffer some toothache in her later years, rubbing her muzzle on the carpet. Yet she retained a reasonable quality of life, until her back legs went at the age of nineteen human years! :)
19 is a splendid age! None of mine have ever managed that. Stan had been rubbing his muzzle on the ground but I hadn't realised what it meant - it was his bad breath which eventually caused me to ask the vet to look at his teeth.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Just had a phone call, chemo starts on 14th this month and i go for a look see, shows me what goes off etc, on the 8th
Good luck with it.

For what it's worth, here's some advice based on too many experiences with people undergoing chemo ...

Make arrangements (at home) to maximize convenience, minimize required effort, and accommodate not feeling well. Phrased another way - arrange things as if planning for an extended bout of the flu.

Chemo affects different patients in different ways. In most cases, there will be physical malaise, lack of energy, etc. These side-effects vary in frequency / severity depending on the individual case. Once you begin the regimen, you're probably stuck with the side-effects for the duration. This is why I made the analogy to an extended illness.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
\Thanks guys, and Enola i live alone, altho i may try and get SiL to stay with me, i get this treatment once every 21 days, the nurse said its the best one, hardly any side effects

INT21

Antediluvian
Out in the drizzle stripping down a large steel rack.
Thought I'd add a bit to this.

The rack in question was a heavy duty affair a bit like the Dexion racks. but locally made from angle iron. It was held together with Whitworth nuts and bolts.1/4 inch.
The problem was that it was very cold here last night. So when my brother and I started stripping the frames they were still saturated with the cold from the night. And one couldn't wear gloves because of the restricted space.
By the end, I couldn't feel my finger ends.
Anyway, the factory where we were doing this makes bread cutting equipment. while my brother was tying down the racking onto his trailer I took a look over a wall that separated the factory from a river.
There was a big pile of bread. Mostly uncut loafs, that had been dumped over the wall. They were test pieces.

I can only think that the area has rats as big as small dogs.

INT21.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Thought I'd add a bit to this.

The rack in question was a heavy duty affair a bit like the Dexion racks. but locally made from angle iron. It was held together with Whitworth nuts and bolts.1/4 inch.
The problem was that it was very cold here last night. So when my brother and I started stripping the frames they were still saturated with the cold from the night. And one couldn't wear gloves because of the restricted space.
By the end, I couldn't feel my finger ends.
Anyway, the factory where we were doing this makes bread cutting equipment. while my brother was tying down the racking onto his trailer I took a look over a wall that separated the factory from a river.
There was a big pile of bread. Mostly uncut loafs, that had been dumped over the wall. They were test pieces.

I can only think that the area has rats as big as small dogs.

INT21.
That does sound like a health hazard.

INT21

Antediluvian
Ripping down the kitchen ceiling.

Not a nice job. Covered in dust. Actually had a dessicated rat fall on me. (preferable, I suppose, to a live one).
Most of the plaster board down. Do the rest tomorrow. The cowboy job that the previous owners did is almost unbelievable.

Shortly going to lounge in a hot bath.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ripping down the kitchen ceiling.

Not a nice job. Covered in dust. Actually had a dessicated rat fall on me. (preferable, I suppose, to a live one).
Most of the plaster board down. Do the rest tomorrow. The cowboy job that the previous owners did is almost unbelievable.

Shortly going to lounge in a hot bath.
Funny place to put it. Tin bath in front of the hearth?