What Have You Been Doing Today?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Yeah. I've posted stuff on the thread for it: maids get a terrible deal in places like HK, Singapore, Malaysia - no rights, no legal recourse, and if they break contract they have to leave within the week. So it's a situation ripe for abuse.
The lady of the house is very chatty and loves complaining to me about her maid (maid was born in the year of the Monkey, that's another point against her) and I wish that it were possible for her to see that she's the bad guy in this situation.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
And we complain over here about our jobs

they wont see that lol and why is that bad to be born in year of monkey, what is an acceptable year and would the treatment of a good year be better¬?

James_H

Reaction score

they wont see that lol and why is that bad to be born in year of monkey, what is an acceptable year and would the treatment of a good year be better¬?
A lot of people want their kids to be born in the year of the dragon. No, this lady is a housewife with nothing better to do than terrorise her maid. It's very interesting actually, it's like a hobby among Hong Kong housewives to be paranoid about their maids, she showed me some Facebook groups dedicated to moaning about them. Then when the contract was up, she re-engaged the maid and the maid re-signed the contract, both presumably fearing they'd be risking a worse deal. It beggars belief.

James_H

Reaction score

I think monkeys are mischievous and scheming, always up to no good.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Ah i see, Dragons are cool
Monkeys are cute, some can be a lil psychotic :p
I was born in the year of the Rat, what were you born under?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've posted stuff on the thread for it: maids get a terrible deal in places like HK, Singapore, Malaysia - no rights, no legal recourse, and if they break contract they have to leave within the week. So it's a situation ripe for abuse.
Try Saudi for the bottom of the barrel.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I'm a Taurus and also born under the year of the Ox .. stubborn as hell and loyal as hell if I like you.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Ah i see, Dragons are cool
Monkeys are cute, some can be a lil psychotic :p
I was born in the year of the Rat, what were you born under?
Year of the Ox.

Moooooo...

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Hey ! I was born in the Year of the Monkey.

What are you Gibberning on about ?

Anyway, back on topic.

Did one of my rare visits to Bradford. I used to go there frequently, years ago so I expected to find the company I was looking for (on Waterloo Road) with no problem. It took around an hour eventually get there. For reasons I dare not say.

Much easier to get back.

Then had a snooze for a couple of hours.

Booked the car in for MOT next Thursday.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Paying the utilities bills, washed the floor and bought a book.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Did one of my rare visits to Bradford. I used to go there frequently, years ago so I expected to find the company I was looking for (on Waterloo Road) with no problem. It took around an hour eventually get there. For reasons I dare not say.
Probably because there's no Waterloo Road in Bradford?

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Ok, Mea culpa.

I should have said I went to Pudsey, which is on the outskirts of Bradford, on the Leeds side.

On further inspection I find that the company I went to does indeed have a Leeds post code.

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Meeting a real hero - retired PD Finn, who popped in to my place of work today.

View attachment 19709

His story is here.

And if you want a real tear-jerker...

Lovely dog. I've seen similar to this done by others, without a dog though. Some people do it by getting the audience member to draw a rough picture of an object which the mentalist then draws. How's it done folks?

There's probably common things people are likely to pick but plenty of scope to get it wrong. Or does someone whisper it to him? Maybe a tiny earpiece..

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
plenty of scope to get it wrong
One word on the collar, another hidden behind his ear and another tattooed on his balls. Just try and remember which is where . . . easy!

You just hope it's not the word in the cigar-tube up his bum!
Or we ask Ringo. And he won't tell us! :fslap:

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Today, I had a day off. Mainly because I had to have a diabetic retina scan done at a health clinic in town. Then, completely unexpectedly, my retired house co-owner dropped by to move some stuff about in his room. He lives over in Cambridge with his wife, but still has stuff here (we'll sell this house and go our separate ways eventually). Anyhoo, he likes to talk - so we ended up talking for about 4 hours. I didn't get to do any of the things I'd intended to do (apart from the retinal scan).

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
One word on the collar, another hidden behind his ear and another tattooed on his balls. Just try and remember which is where . . . easy!

Or we ask Ringo. And he won't tell us! :fslap:
I've looked at several sites & there's various footage of the act online but haven't found out how it's done. It's an impressive trick. I'm banking on Enola to put us straight.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
The dog knows, accept it

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
A bit of shopping. Actually, having a coffee in my favourite caf' while my wife shopped. I can't be trusted to do it.
then, as it was raining, pottered around my workroom/den for the rest of the day.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Just sitting on sofa, cat curled up on table at side of me, nice and quiet

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
The man seated next to me for part of my morning commute decided that public transit was a good place to engage in personal grooming. Part way through the journey he pulled a stick of deodorant out of his backpack and applied it generously to his underarms. I was tempted to ask him if he had a can of shaving cream and a razor with him as well. I managed to bite my tongue because it was too early in the morning to get my snark on.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I've looked at several sites & there's various footage of the act online but haven't found out how it's done. It's an impressive trick. I'm banking on Enola to put us straight.
Sorry for the delay ... I didn't notice the EnolaSignal in the sky ... :evillaugh:

For the record ... I don't specifically know how these tricks were done, so the following is just naive guesswork ...

My guess on the first trick is that Finn was just a prop, and the handler was surreptitiously watching the panelist (e.g., via mirrors in the corners of his eyeglasses) printing the word and "reading" it from the writer's hand movements.

As for the second trick ...

The multiple pre-positioned labeled objects theory mentioned above is a possibility. It appears that the handler shifted the dog's collar tag into view only after hearing the word selected, so I suppose there's a chance there was some quick attachment of the needed tag via sleight of hand. Still ...

My guess is that some combination of (e.g.) forced selection bias*, a subtly modified notepad, and / or the helper's requirement to hold the notepad flat on the left palm and use the right thumb to access a page** had a lot to do with it.

* The handler listed 5 items - none of which was the one chosen. A helper might tend to seize the first novel item - i.e., the first one the handler hadn't mentioned. On the other hand ...

** It appears to me the handler was flipping through multiple pages when showing the audience each of the sample options. If the pages were not quite the same length, and the intended answer was repeated on the longer-length pages, the palm/thumb protocol would practically ensure the helper opened the notepad to a place displaying the predetermined answer. The helper only got to open it once, so he / she is given no chance to see the repetitions. I don't recall the circumstances (it was decades ago), but I've seen the different-length pages bit used to bias the result of riffling through a set of pages.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I've seen the different-length pages bit used to bias the result of riffling through a set of pages.
I had a "shaved" deck of cards with that distinction. Half of them were the nine of diamonds. It came packaged with a list of a hundred tricks you could perform. I think do-one-and-quit would be advised at any single performance! :rcard:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Updating a website for a community event that I foolishly agreed to do. It's a simple task, but one I really couldn't be bothered doing. Still, they pay me for the time.
Also updating our store's website. The captcha on the contact form has been playing up and a lot of spam has been getting through so I've had to implement Google's reCaptcha, which was easier than I thought it would be. Hopefully it does the trick. For those who don't know, it's the little box you click that says ''I'm not a robot'' to confirm that you're human when sending a submission through a form on a website.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The man seated next to me for part of my morning commute decided that public transit was a good place to engage in personal grooming. Part way through the journey he pulled a stick of deodorant out of his backpack and applied it generously to his underarms. I was tempted to ask him if he had a can of shaving cream and a razor with him as well. I managed to bite my tongue because it was too early in the morning to get my snark on.
Not a pleasant thing to have to sit next to .. on the plus side though, he didn't have B.O. and he wasn't the driver.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Grocery shopping. Nothing exciting, but it needed to be done...