What Have You Been Doing Today?

INT21

Antediluvian
A variety of odds and sods today. Cleaning up the mess I created when I threw all the bits of the old ceiling out the back door.
Pounding old veg oil drums into small packs to reduce the area they take up.
Cutting some batons for the replacement ceiling ready for the fitting tomorrow.

And wondering why my circular saw wouldn't hold a square cut. Turned out that the blade tilt mechanism was moving with the vibration. now I need to make a locking device. Always something to do.

Oh yes, sampled some of my last year cider (from the number 5 tree). It, how can I put it, has 'character'.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Went to a talk on the Dechmont Woods UFO on the 40th anniversary, to the day! Got to handle Bob Taylor’s trousers!
'Bob Taylor's Trousers'. Great band, never lived up to their early promise but I've still got all their albums...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
forgetting the names of mostly anyone I think of...why? why the names, and not the film/show, whatever they were in? the minute I struggle to remember the name Steve Pemberton, shoot me.
Well, he's out of my league!

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
An interesting evening yesterday. After the inevitable hell that is Friday at work, I did a bit of tutoring then went to a concert. The programme was great (wagner, schubert, shostakovich) and the orchestra were very happy because they'd just won an award so the leaders (CEO and musical director) were making speeches and posing for photos after the first half.

After that finished about 10pm I decided to go for a walk and ended up in the pub (funny how that happens). I missed the last train home so I went for the minibus stop. Suddenly I was blindsided by running people, followed by riot police and the sound of gunshots. Oh dear, better go somewhere quieter. It kept happening - a street corner would be quiet one moment, the next washed through by a yelling human wave. A friend helped me call an uber (internet taxi) but had to keep changing the pickup point because the cops kept regrouping wherever I was standing.

I was pretty wasted by this point and exhausted so I was fairly unphased and just stood there instead of running (probably a good idea in retrospect because I wouldn't want to get 'arrested'). Police politely asked me to move aside a few times. Eventually the car came and I got home.
All those running people were Forteans looking for the Uncon!

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Yesterday got even better... I closed the door to my bathroom because I had a guest and - the lock malfunctioned and I was locked in there. Luckily my friend passed me a Screwdriver through the window and I was able to unscrew the window grille and climb out. She can also speak Chinese so managed to explain it on the phone to my landlord. Unfortunately he was at work all night because he's a security guard but he managed to send a couple of his sons round. One of them came in through the bathroom window and they attacked the door from both sides until the lock finally came off.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Yesterday got even better... I closed the door to my bathroom because I had a guest and - the lock malfunctioned and I was locked in there. Luckily my friend passed me a Screwdriver through the window and I was able to unscrew the window grille and climb out. She can also speak Chinese so managed to explain it on the phone to my landlord. Unfortunately he was at work all night because he's a security guard but he managed to send a couple of his sons round. One of them came in through the bathroom window and they attacked the door from both sides until the lock finally came off.
Get him to fit a simple bolt. Nothing much to go wrong.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Well i did something i thought i would never do, but i had no choice, i DLed Amazons kindle and bought two books, cause they were impossible to get anywhere bar kindle, i'm ashamed *hangs head low and shuffles off*

James_H

Today: pickled cucumbers and peppers, planted some seeds (from the peppers and also some from some Thai basil I found growing up the road), cooked, bottled some mead. Went to the place mentioned yesterday to pick up the vegetables I ordered: bitter melon and sweet potato leaves. The bitter melon ended scrambled with eggs and the sweet potato leaves fried with garlic and a little bit of fu yu. So a vegetarian lunch for once.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Telling the 17 year old who's just started working for us that he doesn't have to ask my permission to go to the toilet anymore because he's now left school: "Say instead I'm just off for a shit .. hopefully it's twins but I won't name one after you." .. then we are also traditionally bound, when he tells us he's going for a piss instead (because they often do tell you that): "OK .. but any more than two shakes is a wank" .. but you have to do it with a completely straight face ..

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Visited my Village Hall for a Remembrance Sunday exhibition on local life during the Great War - and tea and cake.
In order to free up hospital beds for the Military, patients with mental issues from all over the County were transferred to the local Asylum, tripling the number of inmates but not the rations. A third died from 'Spanish' 'flu, nearly the same number from starvation.

James_H

Only 8 in the morning and it's already shaping up to be an interesting day. I didn't really follow the news over the weekend so I was surprised that many metros are closed due to protests (including my local one). A student has been shot this morning and looks dead, which is awful and will add fuel to the fire. We have a WhatsApp group at work so I'm seeing reports from colleagues all over. In Tung Chung they're already throwing Molotovs. Rather stupidly I decided to take the bus instead, which is going to take absolutely forever due to traffic and barricades, plus I'll have to walk through a warzone when I get off. It's not like I especially love going to work on a Monday morning anyway, I should have just stayed home.

James_H

Only 8 in the morning and it's already shaping up to be an interesting day. I didn't really follow the news over the weekend so I was surprised that many metros are closed due to protests (including my local one). A student has been shot this morning and looks dead, which is awful and will add fuel to the fire. We have a WhatsApp group at work so I'm seeing reports from colleagues all over. In Tung Chung they're already throwing Molotovs. Rather stupidly I decided to take the bus instead, which is going to take absolutely forever due to traffic and barricades, plus I'll have to walk through a warzone when I get off. It's not like I especially love going to work on a Monday morning anyway, I should have just stayed home.
I decided that not getting tear gassed is more important to me than a day's pay so I'm going home again.

James_H

What's the management's position on attendance/non-attendance when protests are getting bad?
I think most others made it in but I live quite far away. They said they'd be understanding of lateness, not sure about if I just don't turn up. I did tell them that I was unlikely to make it in today.

Shady

Nothing as I have a bug which has made me feel very weak.
You take care dear *hug*
:hapdan: I love taking things out of context.
Well put them back, ya lil shoplifter :p
I think most others made it in but I live quite far away. They said they'd be understanding of lateness, not sure about if I just don't turn up. I did tell them that I was unlikely to make it in today.
Your life comes first, you take care *hug*

INT21

Antediluvian
You take care dear *hug*
:p
Your life comes first, you take care *hug*
But he's in Hong Kong. Possibly the most civilised and advanced part of China, maybe the world.

Don't you just love it when 'we, the people' cobble two braincells together and think it makes five,

Teargas clears out the sinuses. I tell you that from experience.

It's the petrol bombs and assorted airborne dust bins and barriers that you have to worry about.

All the same, take care when out on the streets.

INT21.

James_H

Well, I was already off today, but some teachers were required to come in for a school picnic. God forbid the school lose money by cancelling it and giving a refund to the parents.

For reference, this is what the school's neighbourhood looked like two hours ago, 45 minutes before the picnic was due to commence:

de7331af-cff2-49e1-b8ba-e994f39b8baa.jpeg

The school still made no official pronouncements. Everyone is still expected to get to work and for the picnic to go ahead as planned. Very few parents and children showed up, and presumably only those parents with very few brain cells. I woke up to over 400 messages on the staff WhatsApp groups.

I'm planning another big day at home doing some tidying and gardening.

James_H

Today I:

Excavated another hidden flowerbed and planted pineapple, dragonfruit, rosemary, hibiscus, aloe in there. Also put another pineapple plant in a bigger pot.
Repotted a houseplant into a tea tin.
Made a loaf of bread.
Made some pickled ginger.
Added yeast to a batch of fruit wine I'm making.
Some laundry.

Looks like tomorrow will be another involuntary, unpaid day off work. As much as I like my rural idyll, being stuck here for five days is a big thick and I'm getting bored of it now.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I had words with one of Britain's most prominent politicians! I was driving to work (a very, very rare event) and there he was electioneering. I pulled over, introduced myself and told him in no uncertain terms how I felt; I got it off my chest and didn't swear - and we were polite to each other. Hopefully this is bland enough to pass the no politics rule – if it's not, feel free to pull it!

Last edited:

Shady

I went to the hospital, as i was coming out i went to the front door and said to myself, 'why is this not opening, then i noticed the press here button, which i did, and i turned round for a sec and saw a big camera pointed at me,and many peeps at the camera mans side, we all stared at each other and i went outside to buy some fruit from the vendor on the forecourt of the hospital, i asked what the camera was for, apparently a labour MP was paying a visit, i think i may have picked the door he was going to come thro, but hey, he wasnt there yet anyway

James_H

I had words with one of Britain's most prominent politicians! I was driving to work (a very, very rare event) and there he was electioneering. I pulled over, introduced myself and told him in no uncertain terms how I felt; I got it off my chest and didn't swear - and we were polite to each other. Hopefully this is bland enough to pass the no politics rule – if it's not, feel free to pull it!
I went to the hospital, as i was coming out i went to the front door and said to myself, 'why is this not opening, then i noticed the press here button, which i did, and i turned round for a sec and saw a big camera pointed at me,and many peeps at the camera mans side, we all stared at each other and i went outside to buy some fruit from the vendor on the forecourt of the hospital, i asked what the camera was for, apparently a labour MP was paying a visit, i think i may have picked the door he was going to come thro, but hey, he wasnt there yet anyway
Plot twist, they were the same politician. You two passed each other in the street unnoticed.