What Have You Been Doing Today?

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
This was more like very early this morning. On my home from work, caught sight of a young girl collapse, I thought she was with her boyfriend, I walked passed but turned back and there was someone giving her first aid. Apparently, she hit her head and collapsed. During the course of waiting and phoning for an ambulance, she collapsed 3 times. Glad the bloke there was a trainee paramedic, by the time the ambulance came I was trying to get her attention by asking her what music, films,tv she liked, she was well in and out of consciousness. What was sad to me, was she was only in her 20's and no one was at home.
Got home at 12.45 this morning and it took ages for me to get to sleep.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This was more like very early this morning. On my home from work, caught sight of a young girl collapse, I thought she was with her boyfriend, I walked passed but turned back and there was someone giving her first aid. Apparently, she hit her head and collapsed. During the course of waiting and phoning for an ambulance, she collapsed 3 times. Glad the bloke there was a trainee paramedic, by the time the ambulance came I was trying to get her attention by asking her what music, films,tv she liked, she was well in and out of consciousness. What was sad to me, was she was only in her 20's and no one was at home.
Got home at 12.45 this morning and it took ages for me to get to sleep.
Hope she'll be OK. Sounds like she needs a brain scan.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
The school is still slow to cancel classes in the face of overwhelming evidence that they should do so (the education board going on like everything is normal are even more culpable) so I went to work today. I had to go by a different route, and leave about an hour earlier than usual, but it was smooth enough. I got out at an earlier stop, which was just starting to get real crowded and was guarded by riot cops with non-lethal rifles.

About 50/400 kids showed up for each the morning and the afternoon so we had to keep them entertained, and had a slow and relaxed day tempered by the anxiety of news from outside. Why some parents will send their kids to school in this situation escapes me; some were even surprised that there weren't many other attendees.

I walked out with a colleague because the nearest MTR station has been comprehensively smashed up and is closed. The fancy mall next to it has also been gutted, with the big Christmas tree inside set on fire several times over the course of last night. The streets seemed normal enough but the word is it's all due to kick off at 9 and the MTR closes at 8. We had dinner and a drink and now I'm trying to get home, the long way round again because the east rail line is off for the third day in a row.

The education board has finally seen sense and tomorrow is another day off, which means I might finally have to get round to writing that novel or whatever because I'm out of things to do.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The school is still slow to cancel classes in the face of overwhelming evidence that they should do so (the education board going on like everything is normal are even more culpable) so I went to work today. I had to go by a different route, and leave about an hour earlier than usual, but it was smooth enough. I got out at an earlier stop, which was just starting to get real crowded and was guarded by riot cops with non-lethal rifles.

About 50/400 kids showed up for each the morning and the afternoon so we had to keep them entertained, and had a slow and relaxed day tempered by the anxiety of news from outside. Why some parents will send their kids to school in this situation escapes me; some were even surprised that there weren't many other attendees.

I walked out with a colleague because the nearest MTR station has been comprehensively smashed up and is closed. The fancy mall next to it has also been gutted, with the big Christmas tree inside set on fire several times over the course of last night. The streets seemed normal enough but the word is it's all due to kick off at 9 and the MTR closes at 8. We had dinner and a drink and now I'm trying to get home, the long way round again because the east rail line is off for the third day in a row.

The education board has finally seen sense and tomorrow is another day off, which means I might finally have to get round to writing that novel or whatever because I'm out of things to do.
Compose some more songs. Paint some more pictures. Try to take your mind off it all.
Also... get in some food supplies, because there may be some looting that will create shortages...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Popped to town for art/haberdashery supplies. Was drawn inexplicably to the car boot sale, where a mound of other folks' rubbish valuable and useful artefacts found its way into my possession.

Star purchase - one brand new garden* umbrella, £3. Still in its wrapping, ready to be stowed in the shed for next summer.
There were also a bag of small scissors, a microwave pan with lid (new), a tatty and highly paintable beer crate, some skull-patterned scarves, a set of acrylic paints (new), a chest-mounted camera harness, an arm sling, loads of other precious objects.

*Well, beer garden. It is decorated with the logo of a famous brewery. I'm not proud.

James_H

A thoroughly boring day at home today, might venture out to the supermarket though. A friend nearly got hit by an arrow walking home last night, it's getting mediaeval out there. Not to mention all the bamboo catapults they've been building over the past few days. Doesn't seem wise - talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight. As soon as someone kills a police officer it is over.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A thoroughly boring day at home today, might venture out to the supermarket though. A friend nearly got hit by an arrow walking home last night, it's getting mediaeval out there. Not to mention all the bamboo catapults they've been building over the past few days. Doesn't seem wise - talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight. As soon as someone kills a police officer it is over.
Stay safe. Sitting bored at home is better than being caught up in the violence.

INT21

Antediluvian
I see one old guy has been badly injured by being hit on the head with a rock (maybe a brick) . It showed it on CNN.

Also showed (a couple of days ago) the kind of catapult they are using. Look capable of throwing a half Kilo rock (or petrol bomb) maybe fifty Metre.

INT21

Antediluvian
Sitting around watching YouTube, mostly wood working items on building cyclones.

Didn't feel like doing much else.

James_H

I see one old guy has been badly injured by being hit on the head with a rock (maybe a brick) . It showed it on CNN.
Yep, apparently thrown by a protestor. It's getting (even more) ugly out there.

Today I'm going slightly mad, just boiled about 5 gallons of water in case I need it. Luckily I have carboys kicking about from home brewing so I can easily store liquids. Feel a bit like a doomsday prepper but I rationalise it to myself that it really is better to be safe than sorry. Actually most of the city is working fine, just where I live is relatively inaccessible at the best of the times and the main trainline here has been OOC all week. So it's easy to get that bunker mentality. It's not good if you're already slightly inclined to paranoia...

I fixed a rotating bookshelf that I broke on the move in, enabling me to move all my books and free up another shelf for various bits and pieces. If this goes on much longer I'll finally organise my whole house, so, silver linings and all that. I also bought some mint plants which I need to plant outside, and some sweet potato leaves I neglected to eat seem to be sprouting little roots. I've got an idea that if I plant them outside I'll end up with sweet potatoes at some point which would be excellent.

Today a friend is coming round so we'll play board games and do some cooking which should be fun. I'm about to go out to Kam Tin to meet her.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Writing a bike review.

I spent Wednesday riding the gravel paths of Salisbury Plain – on a day the army were doing live artillery practice. I thought it best to heed the large red flags that warned of live firing – though the explosions that looked to be no more than a mile away (but were probably a little further) were a bit of a clue. Meanwhile, on the other side was the thrum-thrum-thrum and air-churning vibrations of a helicopter that could have been straight out of Apocalypse Now. Even more strange, I always picture Salisbury Plain as low lying, but I was riding a ridge that let me well above the level of the helicopter – very odd.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Writing a bike review.

I spent Wednesday riding the gravel paths of Salisbury Plain – on a day the army were doing live artillery practice. I thought it best to heed the large red flags that warned of live firing – though the explosions that looked to be no more than a mile away (but were probably a little further) were a bit of a clue. Meanwhile, on the other side was the thrum-thrum-thrum and air-churning vibrations of a helicopter that could have been straight out of Apocalypse Now. Even more strange, I always picture Salisbury Plain as low lying, but I was riding a ridge that let me well above the level of the helicopter – very odd.
I hope you included those military details in your write up.

brownmane

off kilter
. I also bought some mint plants which I need to plant outside, and some sweet potato leaves I neglected to eat seem to be sprouting little roots. I've got an idea that if I plant them outside I'll end up with sweet potatoes at some point which would be excellent.
I'm jealous that you are gardening outside. Of course we are opposite sides of the equator, but when are we getting the teleport so that' we can just "Beam me up, Scottie". I would so skip over to your side of the world, just give me the weather report first.

James_H

I'm jealous that you are gardening outside. Of course we are opposite sides of the equator, but when are we getting the teleport so that' we can just "Beam me up, Scottie". I would so skip over to your side of the world, just give me the weather report first.
If you're in Canada, we're on the same side of the equator! Here's the weather – pleasantly warm, no rain for weeks:

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 2.33.21 PM.png

brownmane

off kilter
If you're in Canada, we're on the same side of the equator! Here's the weather – pleasantly warm, no rain for weeks:

View attachment 21063
I always knew I was bad at geography. Of course school teaches you (Canadians) only the North American geography with a little South American geography.

If I know someone from a specific country and I look it up on a map, I am always surprised at how little I know.

I was not interested in geography as our elementary geography teacher had us colour in endless maps of Canada and we HAD to colour completely all of the surrounding water or lose points. BORING. I do know the difference between land and water. So I only took the required geography classes, nothing extra.

I do wish that basic education at least gave you a better world view.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
I always knew I was bad at geography. Of course school teaches you (Canadians) only the North American geography with a little South American geography.

If I know someone from a specific country and I look it up on a map, I am always surprised at how little I know.

I was not interested in geography as our elementary geography teacher had us colour in endless maps of Canada and we HAD to colour completely all of the surrounding water or lose points. BORING. I do know the difference between land and water. So I only took the required geography classes, nothing extra.

I do wish that basic education at least gave you a better world view.
That's curious. My experience was quite different. I distinctly recall my grade five social studies teacher spending considerable time on the European exploration of Africa in the nineteenth century. For one test, we were required to label all the countries and major rivers of Africa on a map. I found it great fun but then I've always enjoyed studying atlases. I have to admit that political geography is the only branch of the subject which grips me, however.

brownmane

off kilter
That's curious. My experience was quite different. I distinctly recall my grade five social studies teacher spending considerable time on the European exploration of Africa in the nineteenth century. For one test, we were required to label all the countries and major rivers of Africa on a map. I found it great fun but then I've always enjoyed studying atlases. I have to admit that political geography is the only branch of the subject which grips me, however.
I remember a bit about social studies (in the lower grades) but this was divided into "history" and "geography" in later grades. I remember little about social studies other than they were probably pretty prejudiced ie British/North American centric.

James_H

Joy of joys - school has been cancelled for another week. That means they have to come up with a week's worth of menial tasks to justify our paychecks. I've got a dreadful hangover, having to call parents up for no reason and mark homework books. Not loving it.