What Have You Been Doing Today?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
That's curious. My experience was quite different. I distinctly recall my grade five social studies teacher spending considerable time on the European exploration of Africa in the nineteenth century. For one test, we were required to label all the countries and major rivers of Africa on a map. I found it great fun but then I've always enjoyed studying atlases. I have to admit that political geography is the only branch of the subject which grips me, however.
Ah now you see if you'd gone to secondary school in the 80/90s like me, you would have learned actual useful stuff in Geography, like footpath erosion, urban regeneration and oxbow lakes.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
Well I went to Comprehensive school in the early 90's and we didn't even get taught Geography. We had Humanities. I did 3 years of that and I honestly can't remember a thing. I presume we had 3 or so lessons each week but I cannot for the life of me tell you what we did or what the lessons entailed.

I think it was a kind of mash-up of History, Geography and Social Skills. Or something.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Geography is one of those trick subjects where they don't let on that it's actually interesting until you're finished with school. I knew a guy who took it in university and they had a field trip studying ocelots in the jungle.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Geography is one of those trick subjects where they don't let on that it's actually interesting until you're finished with school.
I took Geography at A-Level. It was, in those days at least, very heavy in data. I still have my books of dictated notes. Two devoted to soils!
From time to time, the lessons would be leavened with a black-and-white film-strip! :yay:

I enjoyed physical geogaphy and map reading. There were no ocelots. In fact, I don't think A-Level students had any field-trips - not even a nice cave! :oops:

brownmane

off kilter
GPS be damned! I can read maps. And if I'm lost while driving,I can usually figure out which direction I need to go to get to an area I'm familiar with.

GPS gets people lost cuz they no longer pay attention to landmarks, imo.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Geography is one of those trick subjects where they don't let on that it's actually interesting until you're finished with school. I knew a guy who took it in university and they had a field trip studying ocelots in the jungle.
Yes, they did their level best to make it as dull as possible.

And have you seen any commonalities yet ?
Definitely in so far as Iran, Iraq and Lebanon. It's about austerity and also the influence of Iran's Theocracy.

Some similarities (in reverse) in Bolivia, the "coup" is run by extreme Catholics who have removed any trace of Indigenous Gods from the Presidential Palace. Morales may well have over stepped the mark but protesters are now being shot by army/police as in Iran and Iraq.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The company I work for has been sold on yet again, this time to possibly the worst employers ever let loose on good working folk. My manager was telling me today how bad things will be in the new year when Tossbags Inc take over.

I said 'Why don't you retire? Like this -

First take all your personal property home, then when one of the big bosses comes to stick his nose in you can stand up, drop your pants and shuffle out of the door without even a goodbye. Maybe a wink on your way out. That's what I'd do.'

He was doubled up laughing at that. Might have given him an idea.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
So I went to the Norwegian ambassadors reception in Edinburgh. There were no Ferrero Rochet! Lead the party into St Giles Cathedral which was full and had Norwegian carols. Lead the VIP party to switch on the Christmas tree lights yesterday.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
So I went to the Norwegian ambassadors reception in Edinburgh. There were no Ferrero Rochet! Lead the party into St Giles Cathedral which was full and had Norwegian carols. Lead the VIP party to switch on the Christmas tree lights yesterday.
The ambassador was not really spoiling you.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
I remember a bit about social studies (in the lower grades) but this was divided into "history" and "geography" in later grades. I remember little about social studies other than they were probably pretty prejudiced ie British/North American centric.
The history of the indigenous peoples received minimal attention when I was at school. In elementary school we learned something of the culture and traditional lifestyles of various indigenous groups and in the upper grades we spent quite a bit of time on Louis Riel and the North-West Rebellion. Conspicuous by its absence was any account of the residential schools, which were stilling running at the time.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
"Thanks man. Janette put me in charge of informing 'duties' today because she hasn't slept for the last two .. they both held me the day I was born .. I think my Dad went to visit her today after I told him .. he was indeed a legend .. he exploded the Walsall Arboretum public toilets for a laugh with his mates back when he was an army cadet
"

.. my Dad's best mate died today and I had to ring to tell my Dad, this above is my cut and paste to my best mate from school years written in reply today .. my best mate's equally gutted .. he loved the way Reg pulled cigars out of his socks one day when we were teenagers .. I'd grown up with Reg since the early 70's so nothing surprised me anymore about the man. He wasn't a violent man but had a thing for guns back when it was easier to get them in England so his wife .. Janette's doing the sensible thing and has phoned the authorities so every thing is legal and they can safely be removed them from their loft .. they say the things he admitted to owning can be auctioned off, I know for a fact at one point he owned a Dirty Harry magnum because he showed it to us all.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I decided to go out for a walk, and ended up going about 8 miles in total. The best bit was encountering a farmer acquaintance manning his home-made produce stall at a small farmers’ market. He was kind enough to renew a verbal invitation to shoot over his land, so - after we've formalised a written permission over a cup of tea this week - l shall have hundreds more acres of farmland over which l can lug a rifle!

Life is good!

maximus otter