What Have You Been Doing Today?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Thanks, Shady.

Her temperature's almost back to normal, she's just a bit tired now from three nights of un-refreshing fever-sleeps.
A nice bath and fresh sheets always help one feel better after something like that, I am glad she is well and once her tiredness is over, lots of ice cream, or whatever her favourite food is XXXXXX
Popped along to feed t'duckies.

View attachment 21542
Aww thats a beautiful pic

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
In the summer I bought some scarves from a car boot sale which I fancied jazzing up with a bobble trim. Washed them, had a look and found that two were silk so decided not to interfere further. Did the other, wore it and was complimented on owning an Alexander McQueen piece.

WHHHAAAT? o_O

Rushed home to check the others and yup, I'd purchased three designer originals for pennies and desecrated one of them.
Not sure whether to be ashamed or proud.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Can you see where it is yet ?

View attachment 21591 View attachment 21592

Absolutely wonderful friendly place.
THE BUCKET LIST sells chips in cardboard buckets with a choice of toppings .. I've avoided it because I've got a chip fryer at home but they seem to be doing well enough .. I couldn't tell you where the other picture is .. no idea .. (if I see yet another picture of our pier taken from that specific angle, I might open a vein)

Last edited:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Got mentioned in the 21st century version of dispatches at work.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Our very own Mr Rutter being made Burgess of the City of Edinburgh. What an honour! <a href="https://t.co/LhkGBeDaDs">pic.twitter.com/LhkGBeDaDs</a></p>&mdash; Royal High School (@Royal_High_Sch) <a href=" ">December 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Our very own Mr Rutter being made Burgess of the City of Edinburgh. What an honour! <a href="https://t.co/LhkGBeDaDs">pic.twitter.com/LhkGBeDaDs</a></p>&mdash; Royal High School (@Royal_High_Sch) <a href=" ">December 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Congrats! Not sure what a Burgess is (even after reading up on them) but it sounds very cool. Do you get a secret handshake and the right to drive livestock across North Bridge and free ale on special occasions?

Edit : Damnit you beat me to the livestock reference by microseconds!

gordonrutter

Staff member
Congrats! Not sure what a Burgess is (even after reading up on them) but it sounds very cool. Do you get a secret handshake and the right to drive livestock across North Bridge and free ale on special occasions?

Edit : Damnit you beat me to the livestock reference by microseconds!
Historically you had to be a Burgess to be a member of the incorporated trades of Edinburgh now it’s more a recognition for promoting the city, charitable works and that sort of thing.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Well done Sir .. very cool :cool: .. may your pigs graze trouble free now.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Earlier this morning, I took my car to the garage to see if they could give me a bit of quick advice on my central locking issue. The front door on the passenger side now doesn't lock at all with the remote. Barry, the car nerd, gave me a manual fix which should be OK until I can get them to look at it properly in the New Year. None of this was in the car's manual or anywhere online. He basically told me to press in the passenger door's release catch and hold it while I open the driver's door. Then, when outside, lock it in the usual way with the remote. It seems to work.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Earlier this morning, I took my car to the garage to see if they could give me a bit of quick advice on my central locking issue. The front door on the passenger side now doesn't lock at all with the remote. Barry, the car nerd, gave me a manual fix which should be OK until I can get them to look at it properly in the New Year. None of this was in the car's manual or anywhere online. He basically told me to press in the passenger door's release catch and hold it while I open the driver's door. Then, when outside, lock it in the usual way with the remote. It seems to work.
What could go wrong?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Aww! Me too!

Mines been gone so long I reckon shes several contexts down.

I have a cold but I went to Uni...it was a bright sunny day and so afterwards I went beachcombing, and found a decent haul of sea glass.

(Useless to me but I am trying to fill a half sized demijohn.)

(Need about another inch...)

(Then, I will start upon the other half demijohn...)

Fine winters days are lovley in Cornwall.
Questions:

1) is a half demijohn not a semidemijohn?
2) is two demijohns a John?
3) why are you filling a half demijohn full of glass anyway?

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Went shopping today. Bought a genuine cursed crystal skull for the equivalent of about two quid. Salesperson was heard whispering "Finally, I am free" as we walked away.

(Well, ok, it's plastic, was filled with sweets and being flogged off cheap as leftover Halloween stock that they can't just stick back in storage for next year. But it does mean I can now stick a torch under it and pretend I'm the host of "Tribble T. Tribble's Mysterious World")

gordonrutter

Staff member
Went shopping today. Bought a genuine cursed crystal skull for the equivalent of about two quid. Salesperson was heard whispering "Finally, I am free" as we walked away.

(Well, ok, it's plastic, was filled with sweets and being flogged off cheap as leftover Halloween stock that they can't just stick back in storage for next year. But it does mean I can now stick a torch under it and pretend I'm the host of "Tribble T. Tribble's Mysterious World")
And I thought the Mitchell Hedges Skull was impressive!

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Yesterday: ran into my landlady, the old lady next door. She gave me some tomatoes she had grown and some Chinese bacon she had made (it's like a ham, she'd cured it by drying). I told her I would give her the rent tomorrow. She said to give it to her, not her son (who is nominally my landlord) because last month he blew the whole lot gambling on mahjong. That explains why he's always so stressed and short of cash. It's sad too, he's the same age as me but has a wife and two kids and it must be difficult for them.

We made fan ke chao dan (scrambled eggs with tomatoes) with the tomatoes and somewhat Thai-style fried rice with the bacon and some Thai basil from my garden, together with a bit of fish sauce. Both were very nice. Bottled some rice wine that has been fermenting for the past three weeks - a bit unwise because it is very sweet and I think still not done fermenting. I hope the bottles don't explode.

Today I had band practice and bought a suit that I need for a work event - I will also need it for weddings etc. Other people's weddings. After finding the cheap suit shop not too cheap and not very nice, I found they had a sale in marks and Spencer and got a much nicer one for cheaper.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

I am envious.