What Have You Been Doing Today?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
First Metal Detect of the year in scenic Bedfordshire (fields have been too wet since mid-November for a dig). Temp was minus 2 but then the sun came out and melted all the mud. Seem to find my first, best and sometimes only item within the first 12 minutes - in this case a lead seal from a manure sack (Webb & Sons ~1900). Also a kitchen knife handle, a spanner and a thing - there's treasure everywhere !

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
First Metal Detect of the year in scenic Bedfordshire (fields have been too wet since mid-November for a dig). Temp was minus 2 but then the sun came out and melted all the mud. Seem to find my first, best and sometimes only item within the first 12 minutes - in this case a lead seal from a manure sack (Webb & Sons ~1900). Also a kitchen knife handle, a spanner and a thing - there's treasure everywhere !
Bedfordshire? Near me!

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Eeeek! Was it in an area where stray golf balls are to be expected?

Yes, it's a path around a park which is right next to a golf course. There are signs at both ends of the relevant bit of path (complete with several dents!) warning of the golf balls. and we're always on the look-out, but the thing is we've walked there hundreds of times over the years, it's one of our go-to dog walking places - and not once have we ever seen or experienced a golf ball... until today of course.

We'd just passed some people walking the other way, so Mr Zebra was walking behind me as there hadn't been room for the other people to pass. Then suddenly there was this shout of "fore!" as I saw the ball. Mr Zebra thinks the chap "sliced it?" is that the term?

Anyway, yes quite shocking.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I took the online qualifying test to be on Jeopardy! last night, and spent some of today checking my answers. I believe I got 41 right, which is a very good score and almost a guarantee that I've made it to the next step. Now all that has to happen is:
  1. I get randomly selected to go to an audition in NYC sometime in the next year.
  2. At the audition I also pass a similar test.
  3. At the same audition I also pass a screen test in the form of a mock game, qualifying me to become a "potential contestant".
  4. I get selected out of the potential contestant pool sometime in the following 18 months.
  5. I go to Culver City, California to be on the show.
  6. I win multiple games and lots of money.
Piece of cake.

SkepticalX

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
In recent days, I have been turning wrenches on my car - something I have not done in earnest for several years. As an IT guy, I am finding it rather therapeutic. There is a certainty in cold steel that you rarely find in the digital world. There are only a few laws of physics at work under the hood (bonnet) and they tend to be quite predictable and consistent (e.g. if you bang your knuckles against the exhaust manifold, expletives will follow). ;)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Went to doctor's surgery this AM for a review of my blood readings etc. All going in the right direction since my weight loss.
Went to Currys in Bedford to get a tumble dryer ordered, was told that they don't deliver on Sundays and the earliest they could deliver was on Monday. I can't really get a day off at such short notice, so I said 'no can do' and walked off. Went to Argos, ordered a different machine, they CAN deliver on this coming Saturday. Hope they don't mess up.
It's a Bosch tumble dryer, so should be OK (I hope).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Went to doctor's surgery this AM for a review of my blood readings etc. All going in the right direction since my weight loss.
Went to Currys in Bedford to get a tumble dryer ordered, was told that they don't deliver on Sundays and the earliest they could deliver was on Monday. I can't really get a day off at such short notice, so I said 'no can do' and walked off. Went to Argos, ordered a different machine, they CAN deliver on this coming Saturday. Hope they don't mess up.
It's a Bosch tumble dryer, so should be OK (I hope).
Nice one about the weight loss thing, you need to now change 'I am a meat popsicle' to 'ex meat popsicle' or something completely different under your avatar.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Went to Currys in Bedford to get a tumble dryer ordered, was told that they don't deliver on Sundays and the earliest they could deliver was on Monday.

Currys are crap for deliveries aren't they! A couple of years ago I was about to pay for a dryer up front when I found out how inconvenient and expensive delivery would be. I'd be sitting around all day waiting with no firm time and a strong suspicion that they'd knock and run for my £50.

I said 'Nah ta!' and bought a second hand one for a tenner!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Nice one about the weight loss thing, you need to now change 'I am a meat popsicle' to 'ex meat popsicle' or something completely different under your avatar.
I'm still a meat popsicle for now.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Had a half day First Aid refresher course at Red Cross centre in Moorgate starting at 9am. Both Met and Jubilee train lines were suspended, there were two fire alarm evacs during the morning and I discovered that Resusci Annie (the CPR mannequin) had a detachable face. Now have two images in my head, a room full of bodies after a visit from Hannibal Lecter and the skinned faces going round and round in the washing machine.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I'd watched Mystic Britain with Clive Anderson when he visited the Rollright Stones near Chipping Norton. Discovered they were only an hour away so went with my brother. "Legend" says a witch turned a King into stone, then turned his men into stone and then turn some whispering Knights into stone and then turned some rocks ... The actual history, neolithic stone circle (~2,500 BC) megalithic tomb, saxon burial site etc is much more of interest - although I liked the story of the largest stone being dragged downhill by 24 horses to make a bridge over a stream. After 2 men were killed on the way, the stone kept flipping over and the crops failed, it took only 2 horses to drag it back up the hill. An afternoon very pleasantly spent.

Rollright_0635.jpg KingsMen_0634.jpg

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'd watched Mystic Britain with Clive Anderson when he visited the Rollright Stones near Chipping Norton. Discovered they were only an hour away so went with my brother. "Legend" says a witch turned a King into stone, then turned his men into stone and then turn some whispering Knights into stone and then turned some rocks ... The actual history, neolithic stone circle (~2,500 BC) megalithic tomb, saxon burial site etc is much more of interest - although I liked the story of the largest stone being dragged downhill by 24 horses to make a bridge over a stream. After 2 men were killed on the way, the stone kept flipping over and the crops failed, it took only 2 horses to drag it back up the hill. An afternoon very pleasantly spent.

View attachment 23071 View attachment 23073

I used to hang around there.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Opening up the house and letting the damp smell out and fresh air in. Every time we get heavy rain or rain over several days (we've had both here), the place gets that odd, damp smell.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Had a half day First Aid refresher course at Red Cross centre in Moorgate starting at 9am. Both Met and Jubilee train lines were suspended, there were two fire alarm evacs during the morning and I discovered that Resusci Annie (the CPR mannequin) had a detachable face. Now have two images in my head, a room full of bodies after a visit from Hannibal Lecter and the skinned faces going round and round in the washing machine.
I apologise if you already know this but the Annie CPR doll's face/faces are based on the face of a real dead young girl who drowned .. when her doctor father found out what had happened, understandably grief stricken, he invented the CPR mannequin and used a cast of his daughter's face, her aproximate likeness as well as her name is still used to this day.

Last edited:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It's even more eerie than that...

L'Inconnue de la Seine

L'Inconnue de la Seine

L'Inconnue de la Seine (English: The Unknown Woman of the Seine) was an unidentified young woman whose putative death mask became a popular fixture on the walls of artists' homes after 1900. Her visage inspired numerous literary works. In the United States, the mask is also known as "La Belle Italienne".

CPR doll
The face of the unknown woman was used for the head of the first aid mannequin Resusci Anne.It was created by Peter Safar and Asmund Laerdal in 1958 and was used starting in 1960 in numerous CPR courses. For this reason, the face has been called "the most kissed face" of all time."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Inconnue_de_la_Seine

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Unfortunately spent close to 12 hours at local hospital with the missus. She went to bed with an extreme headache and this morning phoned 111 for advise, they said go to local hospital, which we did. Had to wait 2 1/2 hours for a CT scan to be checked, the area of her headache is where a cyst is, which on her last MRI scan was the size of her eye. She's in hospital tonight,maybe next day as well, she's due a lumber puncture to find the cause of her headache. Bit pissed with the wait but only people I blame are the politicians who get into power and screw up the NHS, nurses, doctors and reception staff have been brilliant.
On a different note, the old lady next to her bed started a fight with the nurses on her ward, what an end to a not so perfect day, feel knackered and trying to get over a cold as well.
Hope tomorrow goes ok!!!!✌✌✌