What Have You Been Doing Today?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Tuco,

Just recovered from an eye problem, Actually an upper eyelid. all gone away now, took about a week.

But today I was considering a serious 'dilemma' that those among you of a sensitive nature will understand.

My wife bought me a ready made prawn thingy with a pasta and sauce base. It was nice in a 'ready made' sort of way.

But there is a snag. She microwaves them.

Now, I like prawns. But when microwaved they take on the consistency of a well worn tire.

And sadly, she is ...volatile. A month of prolonged silence is not out of the question.

I was trying to think of some approach that will not offend her when requesting a change in the shopping. Something like...

Darling, you know I love you dearly and would like you to have my babies .... What, You already have ?... sorry, slipped my mind. But could you please (pretty please) stop buying ready made prawn meals.

In you collective wisdom, do you think this may work ?

INT21.

Of course you should tell her. Why would she buy you stuff you don't like? Unless she's deliberately trying to piss you off, in which case just don't eat it.

Does heating in an oven make it any more edible? If so, tell her. If you don't like it full stop just tell her.

To summarise, just tell her.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Just did that.

It's gone rather quite around here. I threw in the 'heat it in the oven' as a compromise. Not sure it worked.

But I did suggest meat only ready meals in future.

;)

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just did that.

It's gone rather quite around here. I threw in the 'heat it in the oven' as a compromise. Not sure it worked.

But I did suggest meat only ready meals in future.

;)

Right. That wasn't too painful was it?..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Right. That wasn't too painful was it?..
Depends on how he broached the subject with her.
Option 1: Sweetie, darling, please could we change our diet a little bit? Perhaps we could stop buying the prawn things and try something different? That'd be nice, what do you reckon?
Option 2: Oi mush, you're killing me with them prawn things! You cook them to buggery with the microwave and it's all your fault! Jesus wept, woman!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Slinked off this morning to visit the walk-in clinic at Moorfields Eye Hospital - three and a half hours later slinked back to Work. Bulging bloodshot eye wasn't the cause of the headaches, but at least I could rule it out. Went to Morrison Pharmacy this evening to get some over-the- counter eye drops recommended (but not prescribed) by the Doc - £15.30 - the embarrassed Pharmacist couldn't look me in the manky eye.

Eye hope you're better soon.

K

kiln_wood

Depends on how he broached the subject with her.
Option 1: Sweetie, darling, please could we change our diet a little bit? Perhaps we could stop buying the prawn things and try something different? That'd be nice, what do you reckon?
Option 2: Oi mush, you're killing me with them prawn things! You cook them to buggery with the microwave and it's all your fault! Jesus wept, woman!
Option 3: Prawns give me awful wind and diarrhoea.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
And sadly, she is ...volatile. A month of prolonged silence is not out of the question.

Would she really kick off to that extent just over a ready meal?

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Would she really kick off to that extent just over a ready meal?

In a word, yes.

You know the old cockney song. 'We've been together now for forty years, and that's just thirty nine too long'.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We're watching TV.* Just now a character was talking about going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

I said to Techy 'Maybe I should go to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting!'

He said 'You don't need to do that!'

To which I brandished my empty glass and said 'Yeah that's true!'
He sighed and topped me up.

*'The Split'. It's very good, all about divorce lawyers.Highly dramatic.
I asked my mate who is an actual divorce lawyer if it's really like that and she said naaaaah!
The shagging though, there's a bit of that.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Done lots of cooking. Wife does the shopping. I taxi her about during this operation.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Today, I went up to Boston, Lincs. A scruffy armpit of a place, if I'm honest (the bit where we visited, anyway).
I was meeting up with a friend who I haven't seen for ages.
We were going to have a curry in the Bombay Brasserie. I walked in and the guy told me 'we're not open'. I pointed out that the door was open and the lights were on - and that the website had clearly stated that they were open from 1 pm onwards. He got a bit rude and aggressive, telling me to check the website. My phone doesn't do 'Internet' so I pointed out that it couldn't. He said that I'd obviously looked at the wrong website!
So, my friend and I had to go somewhere else (we ended up buying really expensive burgers at The White Hart).
Anyhoo, I checked the website when I got back - and guess what - I was right!
My friend pointed out that there may be a mismatch between the mobile and desktop versions of the website. She couldn't find time details on her mobile, whereas on my laptop, it's there - as plain as day.
Suffice to say, I could give those guys a hard time on TripAdvisor, but I can't be bothered. I won't be eating there anytime soon.

Last edited:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Done lots of cooking. Wife does the shopping. I taxi her about during this operation.
My husband and I used to get groceries together. When he went onto disability pension, he, of his own accord, did the groceries. Of course didn't always get what I wanted - I tend to pick up fruits and veggies as I see them and he didn't, but I never complained. He also cooked more than I.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
My husband and I used to get groceries together. When he went onto disability pension, he, of his own accord, did the groceries. Of course didn't always get what I wanted - I tend to pick up fruits and veggies as I see them and he didn't, but I never complained. He also cooked more than I.

That's the problem. If I shopped then there would be disagreement about the purchases. If she shops I don't really care what she buys a I will eat anything presented to me.
Also I she likes to browse around the supermarket. I know what I want, get in, get it, get out. 15 minutes tops.

Plus (about to enrage many) if I wanted to do the shopping, why would I have got married ?

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
That's the problem. If I shopped then there would be disagreement about the purchases. If she shops I don't really care what she buys a I will eat anything presented to me.
Also I she likes to browse around the supermarket. I know what I want, get in, get it, get out. 15 minutes tops.

Plus (about to enrage many) if I wanted to do the shopping, why would I have got married ?
Hahaha not sure that I would get married for that reason. I'd rather do shopping

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score

When I do the shopping its in out put the kettle on ( then remember what I forgot ! )

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Attempting to restore my '82-'83 BMX bike .. my Sister had saved it for me without me knowing. It's in remarkably good condition considering it's nearly 40 years old, even the tyres are original although I changed the inner tubes last night .. the only other new things on it are the break cables. The chain had slipped and jammed so I've freed that, the only embarrassing problem now is that I can't suss out how to re hook the chain correctly so I'm waiting for my bike enthusiast neighbour to come home so he can hopefully help me out. edit: managed to sort the chain problem myself, unbelievably the brake cables I've been told are original, one of the pedals is new so it'll cost me about £30 for replica 'crocodile' pedals of the same colour, about a fiver for replacement red dice dust caps, not sure yet if I can get replacement foam bar protectors ..

Then I'll be taking it to Cromer skate park so a talented 20 year old BMX'er I know can put it through its paces, there were no skate parks in England the last time I rode this bike, the 20 year old didn't even know that BMX's had been around so long, we certainly weren't doing big air tricks back then, nobody was so my bike's very heavy compared to a modern BMX.

.. me when I was 10 on the same bike

abulldogtuffi.jpg

.. me when I'm 46 nearly finished restoring it tonight

abulldogtufi2.jpg

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Techy likes prawn curries which I sometimes pick up for him and freeze.
He hasn't mentioned the prawns being tough so I won't be bringing the idea up, don't want to give him something else to whinge about!

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
I bet you spot the bargains!

I guess I'm more adept at 'thinking ahead' than Mr Zebra is... e.g. if there is a larger version of something, which is inevitably cheaper, etc.

Mr Zebra's forte is stopping me from inadvertently picking up things with meat in. "No, that's baked beans and sausages", or "That's bacon and cheese instant mash, you don't want that one."

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I guess I'm more adept at 'thinking ahead' than Mr Zebra is... e.g. if there is a larger version of something, which is inevitably cheaper, etc.

Mr Zebra's forte is stopping me from inadvertently picking up things with meat in. "No, that's baked beans and sausages", or "That's bacon and cheese instant mash, you don't want that one."

Welcome back Spot!

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score

There is a whole philosophy behind that one.