What Have You Been Doing Today?

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Today I've been mostly sleeping, in between reading stuff on 'ere and sleeping again.

Stupid sinus infection has swollen around my eye, making it painful and watery. Co-codamol knocks the edge off the pain but makes me sleepy.

Can we have an extra day tacked onto this weekend? Cos otherwise that means I've got to go to work tomorrow.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
does steam (like in a warm shower) make it worse or better?

sinus stuff is miserable.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
does steam (like in a warm shower) make it worse or better?

sinus stuff is miserable.

If I felt well enough to stand in the shower I might be able to answer that :p

My nose doesn't fell particularly stuffy, though, it's just the pain in/around my eye so I don't know that steam would help it, to be honest.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just finished tiling the kitchen, with hard plastic 3D relief tiles.
They were an absolute bugger to trim to size, using a craft knife and tin snips, and I ended up ruining a couple of tiles.
Overall effect looks pretty good though and the wife has just brought me a beer - which is always a good sign.
Now to see if there's a movie worth watching on Netflix.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Today I decided to find the lyrics to another of the Swedish songs I'm enjoying listening to. I occasionally find the lyrics of a song online, print them off then have a go at translating them using only my dictionary, phrase book and the grammar section from my 'english to swedish' book (i.e. without using online translation which would rather spoil the fun and wouldn't teach me anything).

I glanced at the printed-off page and thought "ooh I know a couple of them" then proceeded to write down what translations I could figure out, without the use of any of my books which I didn't have with me.

Not five minutes later, and half the song was translated... entirely from what I've managed to store in my feeble brain :D

And this isn't just the odd word here and there - this includes several full sentences, and one almost-full - (if it wasn't for one word that I've simply not come across before.)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Popped along to see the Beluga (Number 6) at Hawarden Airport. Stopped on way to inspect the Ferry Crossing bridge and spotted the Beluga ready for take-off before we could get there!

It took off and flew over us mockingly a couple of times.

Attachments

• It's the Beluga (Number 6) at Hawarden Airport. .jpg
    It's the Beluga (Number 6) at Hawarden Airport. .jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 15

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Popped along to see the Beluga (Number 6) at Hawarden Airport. Stopped on way to inspect the Ferry Crossing bridge and spotted the Beluga ready for take-off before we could get there!

It took off and flew over us mockingly a couple of times.
They're very odd looking those belugas. We've had lots of low flying T2 Hawks from RAF Valley flying over today.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
They're very odd looking those belugas. We've had lots of low flying T2 Hawks from RAF Valley flying over today.

Some of those flew low over our'eads at Llandudno last year, heading out to sea!

If they're flying round your end, what are they up to, d'you reckon?
I'll be near Valley a few times this coming week.

Reactions: Tin

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Some of those flew low over our'eads at Llandudno last year, heading out to sea!

If they're flying round your end, what are they up to, d'you reckon?
I'll be near Valley a few times this coming week.
They often around here doing their low level training. We occasionally get Typhoons and sometimes F-15 Eagles (they fly lower than the RAF planes as the 200' limit doesn't seem to apply to them).

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Not today, but at the weekend. We had a trip to one of our favourite places; the Wirral.

On the Saturday we went to Hoylake station intending to just go into Liverpool and back on the train, but the very helpful Merseyrail chap told us we could have a day ticket for only £5.50 each :)

First we went to Liverpool Central station (this was all four of us, Mr Zebra, me, ZebraPup1 and ZebraPup2)... wandered about a bit in Liverpool, including Bold Street (of course)... wandered down to the docks (Museum of Liverpool area). Saw a statue of Billy Fury... we'd seen him in a film not that long ago. ZebraPup2 promptly started barking at him, much to the amusement of several passers-by. She also did the same to a horse statue. We decided not to let her near the Beatles statue... four of 'em at once would probably be too much for her.

Then we went to James Street station and were going to get a train back to the Wirral. While we were waiting, we noticed there was an upcoming train for Chester. The chap on the platform said our day tickets would cover this, so we piled on - we'd never been to Chester before. Very lovely place, although I was beginning to get tired with all the walking around (my shoulders were playing up so I couldn't even use my crutch). We had chips down by the river, where the cruise boats were.

Later on we got a train back to the Wirral, changing at Hamilton Square and getting a different train, this time to West Kirby. We went to the boating lake and found a lovely big and mostly empty beach. ZebraPup1 and ZebraPup2 had a lovely time chasing around on the sand.

Then we got the train back to Hoylake and back to our hotel, tired and exhaused and (in my case) in severe pain but it had been a cracking day out.

On the Sunday we drove to Thurstaston and went to the country park. Walked the dogs down to the beach, ZebraPup1 got a swim which of course she loved. We had chips at our favourite coffee shop, the dogs got sausages too (the place is dog friendly).

Headed home at about lunchtime, deciding on a whim to visit Chester again (cos we hadn't been able to see much of it the day before and who knows how long it would be before we'd be in the area again) and this time had an ice cream at the river after looking around the beautiful buildings inside the city walls.

Very enjoyable weekend. I'm still recovering. :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Headed home at about lunchtime, deciding on a whim to visit Chester again (cos we hadn't been able to see much of it the day before and who knows how long it would be before we'd be in the area again) and this time had an ice cream at the river after looking around the beautiful buildings inside the city walls.

You need a break in Chester! It's awesome.

I go quite a bit, often fabric shopping. In fact I overspent severely there once again yesterday.

Bought some of this for making head tubes for cycling.
It's a cotton/Lycra mix.

tigers.jpg

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
You need a break in Chester! It's awesome.

I go quite a bit, often fabric shopping. In fact I overspent severely there once again yesterday.

Bought some of this for making head tubes for cycling.
It's a cotton/Lycra mix.

View attachment 24018

Nice fabric :)

It is definitely on our list of "go there again" places. We went twice though at the weekend, cos we knew it could be some time before we would be there again.

Still can't get over the train tickets only being £5.50 to go anywhere on the Merseyrail system... an utter bargain, and the trains were nice too, and punctual. And so many stations in the Wirral (I'm not plugging them or owt, just genuinely impressed).

I'm slightly (ok very) envious that you live so close to that area :)

(The trains round 'ere... not naming any names but it rhymes with SnotFail) are utter rubbish and £5.50 probably wouldn't get you from one end of t'platform to t'other.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Nice fabric :)

It is definitely on our list of "go there again" places. We went twice though at the weekend, cos we knew it could be some time before we would be there again.

Still can't get over the train tickets only being £5.50 to go anywhere on the Merseyrail system... an utter bargain, and the trains were nice too, and punctual. And so many stations in the Wirral (I'm not plugging them or owt, just genuinely impressed).

I'm slightly (ok very) envious that you live so close to that area :)

(The trains round 'ere... not naming any names but it rhymes with SnotFail) are utter rubbish and £5.50 probably wouldn't get you from one end of t'platform to t'other.

Merseyrail is ACE. We go on it now and then. The banter is fast but I can keep up.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It sounds grand.

Chester has a wall, hasnt it? Thats all I can remember

Ive been through Liverpool to get on the Manx ferry; rough place (remember Im a Southerner and so prejudiced) but lots of interesting architecture.

What did I do today?

Painted a bit of my warhammer figures (worlds slowest painter) and am working on my guest blogging pages (Museum of Design in Plastic)

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Spent part of the day roaming around the supermarket, picking up cleaning products (I intend to spend this weekend scrubbing the house clean) and noticing even the instant noodles had been bought up, along with the pasta/rice/toilet paper/etc...

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Patting myself on the back.
Went to the smallish Coles supermarket across the carpark that's behind our shop to buy some bread. I'm walking down the aisle when around the corner comes a chap with a pallet load of toilet paper, ready to re-stock the shelves. I ask him ''Can I please have one of those?'' to which he answers, ''Sure, but only one packet.''
So out I walk with a loaf of bread and a 20 roll pack of toilet paper under my arm.
The Gods were smiling on me today.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Patting myself on the back.
Went to the smallish Coles supermarket across the carpark that's behind our shop to buy some bread. I'm walking down the aisle when around the corner comes a chap with a pallet load of toilet paper, ready to re-stock the shelves. I ask him ''Can I please have one of those?'' to which he answers, ''Sure, but only one packet.''
So out I walk with a loaf of bread and a 20 roll pack of toilet paper under my arm.
The Gods were smiling on me today.
Just don't get those two confused...

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hum.

I have two and a half rolls.

(But plenty to eat)

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Popped in to town to buy a new kettle (we can't be expected to self-isolate with no kettle can we?). The existing one, with uncanny timing, packed-up right after the big Boris speech yesterday.

Again, you wouldn't know there was anything up. People everywhere, and today a queue of families out the door of KFC! Got to do something when the school's shut I spose.

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
Reaction score
Well all of my shows are now cancelled until the summer. And so today, with nothing immediate to prepare or rehearse for, I have been doing sod all. Hence my many posts here today.

I fear I may be boring you all on a more frequent basis over the next few months.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not much at all. It's raining here. Mowed the lawn yesterday and trimmed all the edging, so I'm pleased that was done.
Today has been filled with web site browsing, a little reading and listening to podcasts.
I could get used to this.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Grocery shopping (all we're allowed to do these days, really) - just as the car was pulling out of the driveway at home, the postman stopped me and said the passenger side rear tyre looked a little flat. I thanked him and went to the petrol station to fill the tyre.

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm furloughed for 3 weeks minimum. Everywhere is on lockdown and I'm giving all my instruments a good workout to fight off the inevitable visit from the Black Dog. So I made some videos-

Thanks Heisenbear

Thems lovely

You is a artist

You've inspired me to get my whistle out and have a blow (shut it Swifty!)

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sorting out stuff to put on Ebay.

I am the Eternal Optimist