What Have You Been Doing Today?

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So the new bird table/house I ordered arrived. Flat packed.
So I'm not a diy queen but I can read instructions.
Step 2 involved the long screw (stop it) and a manual screwdriver wouldn't cut it.
Hmm. Locate the electric one. Buried, unused in forever. Needs charging.
Whilst on charge, build the 'house'.
Step 5, ...'pre-drilled holes'....
Guess what? No pre-drilled holes. Shocker.
Find drill. Find extention cord....
Step 6 and 7, no! The roof does not fit as per instructions!
Omg. Now is the screwdriver charged. Nope.
Omg. New bird table is half built in the shed and I had to go for a lie down.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Step 2 involved the long screw (stop it) and a manual screwdriver wouldn't cut it.
We'd like to hear more about the long screw, please. Make something up if necessary.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If you lived near Moorgate I’d loan you a chippy with a screw gun.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hum.

Have you complained your Bird table was not as advertised?

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Further cleaning and washing out the food pantry in between answering phone calls.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sitting outside, enjoying the sun and reading The Colour Of Magic. Watching the movie Slugs. Muttering "Gods, I'm bored!". That sort of thing...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Shopping for my parents. Oh yes, the joy is unbound. But I'm just about to get out on my 'best' bike for the first time in months. I've been building up my fitness on a heavy gravel bike (sort of like a mountain bike with a drop handlebar) and now my lovely shiny Giant TCR is coming out to play, complete with swanky carbon aero wheels. I'm getting lower gears next week to help me cope with our local hills.

I tried it breifely for a trip to the shop yesterday and it felt, er, very strange after riding the heavier machine.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Installing timber Venetian blinds and trying to find the hole where the fucking possum that lives in our ceiling is so we can block the bloody thing out.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Why would you want to exclude the possum, just entice it down and share some bikkies with it..:)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
a bit of weeding and pruning. Our plants have been dispatched and so we are all excited about teh garden again!

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Because they piss and shit in your roof cavity and breed. People have mistaken mating possums for the sound of Satan himself waking with an epic hangover.
Never heard it called a roof cavity before.
You could try giving them a litter tray..:D

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Running my feckin arse off on a building site.
I‘ll be glad when this lockdown is over and the other members of our project team can return from furlough.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I spent a couple of hours spraying brown all over my garden fence. TBH I should've done it when it was new, 12 months ago, but have only just got around to it. It took a little longer than it should have on account of the fact that I had stop 3 times to dismantle the (brand new) sprayer as the filter got blocked repeatedly. Poor design really - they should put some kind of mesh across the hole where you pour in the muck. I'm going to create something suitable for that for next time. Which is going to be quite soon cos I've only managed to do about 90% of the inside bit, so I'm going to have to buy another 3 pots of the stuff for finishing it off outside as well.
Then I went for my daily walk through the local park, this time taking pictures. Proper busy over there today. I reckon mostly people are thinking 'F**k this lockdown for a game of soldiers'.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My favourite fleece PJ bottoms have a distinctively skimpy cut, often giving a 3am 'bikestand' effect.

Today I had the brilliant idea of adding a much deeper waistband. Much, much deeper, using all the suitable fabric I had to hand.
It worked and apart from looking like Tweedledee I am satisfied.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Went to work today, tested a load of circuit boards. No rest for the wicked!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Making alternative Cromer Carnival badges because for obvious reasons our carnival was cancelled this year. I've got a few spares from previous years so I've spray painted them mat silver, let them dry, wrapped a rubber band around them and used a pair of tweezers to carefully place the gold stickers numbers on em:

I work with one of the main organisers of our festival, he's the man in charge of having probably 100,000 + badges made for the public every year .. he's got loads of them so I'll be gifting him one of mine so his set isn't interrupted. I go out of my way to get each year's badge to mark each year I've served the public here and frankly each year I've lived here so I don't forget. I'll be gifting one to one of mine and the Mr's friends because I promised her this year's badge before we knew about lock down. I've just got to order some spray varnish through the post now to stop the paint chipping.

Ironically, the tourist information centre (where the staff give me each year's badges in bulk to give to tourists) has been converted into a no admittance Covid-19 testing centre .. so I thought fuck it .. I'll make my own bootleg badges.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Making alternative Cromer Carnival badges because for obvious reasons our carnival was cancelled this year. I've got a few spares from previous years so I've spray painted them mat silver, let them dry, wrapped a rubber band around them and used a pair of tweezers to carefully place the gold stickers numbers on em:

I work with one of the main organisers of our festival, he's the man in charge of having probably 100,000 + badges made for the public every year .. he's got loads of them so I'll be gifting him one of mine so his set isn't interrupted. I go out of my way to get each year's badge to mark each year I've served the public here and frankly each year I've lived here so I don't forget. I'll be gifting one to one of mine and the Mr's friends because I promised her this year's badge before we knew about lock down. I've just got to order some spray varnish through the post now to stop the paint chipping.

Ironically, the tourist information centre (where the staff give me each year's badges in bulk to give to tourists) has been converted into a no admittance Covid-19 testing centre .. so I thought fuck it .. I'll make my own bootleg badges.

POIDH Punk.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
POIDH Punk.
They actually look official. I didn't want them to look 'folksy' so there's no hand painted stuff on them, just brushed steel silver with the gold stickers numbers to give a middle finger to the virus. The exact same crab design is on the official ones every year but that was too fidley for me to replicate, I thought about having just a crab's claw sneaking onto the design from the bottom right hand corner but sucked that idea off.

(what's POIDH stand for?)

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Lord Lucan have you thought of buying a pest repeller?
When I had possums in the roof I put one on an extension cord and put it up through the manhole until I could get any holes blocked.
They have them at Woolworths for $18.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

iu

:sneaky2:

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Courtesy of @Bigphoot2 on the Jokes thread -

Ikea nest.jpg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When I had possums in the roof I put one on an extension cord and put it up through the manhole until I could get any holes blocked.
They have them at Woolworths for $18.

It did the trick? We've got power up there and it'll be far cheaper than getting the possum catcher out to try to trap it.