What Have You Been Doing Today?

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'd accidentally set two alarms on my clock last night, first went off at 05:30 (for Work) - arrghh I thought it was Saturday. No wait, it is Saturday - isn't it ? Second went off 07:00 so I could get to a field in Oxfordshire for a Detector dig. Weather was glorious, field was flat but it was a ten minute walk from the farm where we'd parked. Thirty of us strung out in a socially distanced line as we crossed a road and headed into Mythago Woods. A lycra-clad cyclist (obviously from Oxford) stopped and commented on a " Karma of metal detectorists" - heh . Sad news was it was going to be the last dig before the Gov't crackdown on groups over six, which probably means no more this year. And I had to leave early when I really wanted to stay. Anyway, I found my very first hammered ie very thin (hammered) small silver coin. Elisabeth I three-farthing (3/4d) 1562 and I'm still grinning.
If it photographs OK and anyone is interested, I'll stick it on the Detector thread.
Saw on local FB that someone found a George IV gold sovereign last week in a field. Their second one in the last few months in that village!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Who can afford to lose gold coins ? Not too surprisingly the last two half-sovereigns I saw come out of a field were both forgeries.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Eating vegetarian pizza (not that I am a vegetarian, I had finished off the garlic prawn pizza last night) and watching the news...

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sleeping off a filthy headache that I woke up with, no not self inflicted. Here at 7.45 p.m I've still got it. Looks like an early night ahead.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Listening to the working next door, as they pour the concrete to act as support for the house. Overheard a conversation between two of them
Worker One - (Other Person) is thinking of selling his car.
Worker Two - It's an Audi! What is he thinking?
Me (resisting the urge to shout out) Yes, what is he thinking!

I didn't say anything, but I felt like it!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Came up with an idea.

Having somehow managed to badly stub my toe, resulting nail damage is painful to the extent I can't even wear slippers at present.

Don't really want to go about the house in socks, with no protection to keep them clean...

...zip-up sandwich bags have many uses...

IMG_20200914_073015_resize_61.jpg

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Couple of hours ago I was folding my bike cover away and putting my helmet on in the Station car park when a youth was coming my way.
Some-one was shouting behind him and he quickened his pace - he didn't run because obviously it isn't cool to run and besides, his genitals were probably too large for his legs to brush past each other - so think of a flappy waddle. The young chap behind him certainly knew how to run and quickly had him pinned to the chain fence and then on the ground. The station Staff came out of their tea room and watched with me as things hotted up. I thought about offering assistance but wasn't sure who the good and bad guys were. The guy doing the pinning down identified himself as Police (God they're so young) and as his colleague appeared he was shouting 'behind the fence, behind the fence !' At that point two cars in the car-park with small blue flashing side lights shot up the exit ramp and along the road behind the fence and intercepted rude boy number two (or three). Was I in the middle of a stake-out ? I made my excuses and left.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Couple of hours ago I was folding my bike cover away and putting my helmet on in the Station car park when a youth was coming my way.
Some-one was shouting behind him and he quickened his pace - he didn't run because obviously it isn't cool to run and besides, his genitals were probably too large for his legs to brush past each other - so think of a flappy waddle. The young chap behind him certainly knew how to run and quickly had him pinned to the chain fence and then on the ground. The station Staff came out of their tea room and watched with me as things hotted up. I thought about offering assistance but wasn't sure who the good and bad guys were. The guy doing the pinning down identified himself as Police (God they're so young) and as his colleague appeared he was shouting 'behind the fence, behind the fence !' At that point two cars in the car-park with small blue flashing side lights shot up the exit ramp and along the road behind the fence and intercepted rude boy number two (or three). Was I in the middle of a stake-out ? I made my excuses and left.
Drug dealer? Bag of stuff concealed in his underpants, perhaps?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I don't know - will check local papers - I think the guy didn't run because he didn't know how to.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Who can afford to lose gold coins ? Not too surprisingly the last two half-sovereigns I saw come out of a field were both forgeries.
I recently picked up a set of reproduction Roman coins (possibly from some part-work magazine) which I have threatened to scatter over the field Escette goes detecting in. :evillaugh:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
What have l been doing today? Nothing. Utter sloth. l have contemplated a gym visit or a walk in the country, but l’m currently supine on the bed and prevaricating for Britain:

“...busy doin' nothin'
Workin' the whole day through
Tryin' to find lots of things not to do
...”

maximus otter

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Metal detecting was back on today with strict social distancing rules - if you wanted to show a find to some-one, you had to offer it up on the end of a spade. Only 15 minutes away from home, there were 6 fields I see every day out of the train window and I've been waiting 3 years to get back to them. I only found a fistful of junk back then as I was just starting out - now I have a better detector and 3 years of practice. Found two badly corroded coins (on chalk) that could be Victorian halfpennies, two buttons, two bullet cases and a fistful of junk. And a touch of sunburn. And cramp. Not bad result for six and a half hours walking over stubble.

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Sorting through boxes and boxes of Star Trek and model space rocket Items that I bought at auction this week. Only bought for resale on eBay . It takes ages to list everything and then check prices etc. I’ve barely started listing the stuff.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Sorting through boxes and boxes of Star Trek and model space rocket Items that I bought at auction this week. Only bought for resale on eBay . It takes ages to list everything and then check prices etc. I’ve barely started listing the stuff.
Sounds like heaven.

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Sounds like heaven.
There is some nice bits that I might be tempted to keep if my wife lets me. I’ve got my eye on two original AMT plastic Star Trek kits and a three foot rocket that you actually fly.

dream_decoder

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, three strange plants appeared in our garden, next to the self setting sunflowers, they were a foot high with white 'trumpet' flowers and rhubarb-like leaves, but didn't look like anything special.
Last weekend they were a metre high and the flowers were starting to wither.
This weekend the plants were two metres high, the flowers had vanished, the main trunks were suddenly about 30mm thick and spiky conker-like fruit appeared all over them.
They looked like Triffids.
We googled them and found out they are called Datura. or 'The Devil's Trumpet', they initially come from South America and are spread by birds dropping the seeds, which can be found in commercial bird seed.
Turns out they are poisonous and psychoactive, so I have been digging in the hot sun to get rid of the buggers!

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
There's a number of species of Datura that have naturalised in the UK. Some appeared in my garden this year too, probably spreading well because of the fine weather.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Bike ride. Just me, gorgeous weather, a bottle of squash and some fruit.

Saw a flooded street where a water main had burst. It’ll be chaos at rush hour. Watched with interest for a bit as vehicles surged through it, making tidal waves. Was tempted to ride through on t’moke.

Off to the next town, chatting on the way with passers by, sat beside the river for a picnic. Rode back by a circuitous route, round the park a couple of times, of course taking in the flood again and noting that there was now a set of traffic lights.

So a couple of hours of playing out on my bike like a 10 year-old. Bliss.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I lost my glasses at Work, they'd fallen out of my top pocket as I was patrolling my Empire and putting the rubbish out. I sent out a global email asking for help and received a sympathetic response in POINT 72. Oh ha.
By end of play, my colleague had retrieved them from the rubbish paladins. I can see. It's a miracle !

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Looking at weird & interesting stuff online. I've had the day off, it's cool outside and quite windy and I have no inclination to do much else.
Edit: I have decided I shall cook steak with salad for dinner & possibly eat some potato chips/crisps later.

Last edited:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Collecting some prescription tablets from the chemist.
Now when you want a script you have to ring the surgery to get an appointment and the doctor rings you the next day, asks what you want then emails the chemist.
Last time it took me 3 goes to get it filled because the girls couldn't find it, so I rang today and waited till the girl who answered couldn't find it and handed the phone to the chemist.
The chemist found it so I went over to get it.
Just took it out of the bag before and they hadn't put the script with the refills in so had to ring the chemist again and explain several times what I wanted.
Apparently I can ring next time and they will get it ready.
I won't hold my breath.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Im sorting out my bedding, -how did I accumulate so much of it? its not like I shop for bedding.

I have at least eight quilts. Do they breed? I need four, a set for each bed, -a light summer one and a down winter one.

Im also drawing a map of North Rona. Part of Kresen Kernows autumnal art activity.

I dont like art for arts sake but a practical map can be arty, eh?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I dont like art for arts sake but a practical map can be arty, eh?
How would you classify for example Van Gogh, someone who never made much from his work. Would that be art for arts sake?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Follow-up to my phone problems... with the new phones I've bought, it seems like I may have cured the problem (maybe).
I haven't noticed any new signs that my phones are being tapped.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Finally got a haircut after months away from the barber.
During lockdown, the barber had moved into the shop next door and acquired all kinds of fantastic new stuff (including a small Van de Graaf generator to keep kids amused).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Finally got a haircut after months away from the barber.
During lockdown, the barber had moved into the shop next door and acquired all kinds of fantastic new stuff (including a small Van de Graaf generator to keep kids amused).
Oooh I have one of those, well a plasma thing, in a skull shape!