What Have You Been Doing Today?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Today I have been keeping out of the memsahib's way. She'd booked a mental health day off work, and plans to spend it happily fiddling about in the kitchen, and possibly the garden.

Earlier on she made some lower-calorie muesli bars (banana instead of butter), which we sampled over a couple of mugs of freshly-AeroPressed coffee that I made. Verdict? Superb.

Currently, she's defrosting quite a few pounds of my venison with the intention of making pies for Christmas (yeah, they'll last that long...), while she whips up a fresh batch of her delicious chutney.

Life is good.

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Another blank day out stalking. I think I need to change my tactics. Or my aftershave, or something...

Some days, all you see is shit or hoofprints:

Bored, bored, bored...

Can't even pick the sloes, because the witches haven't peed on them yet

maximus otter

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I have spent far too long today fooling about trying to make the top stay on my favourite bottle. It has a carrying strap, a flip top lid etc and, apparently, a plastic collar with no discernible function except to make the top fit.

Why couldn't it just fit by itself? I'm now looking for the Superglue for a last ditch effort at MAKING the bloody thing work.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I have spent far too long today fooling about trying to make the top stay on my favourite bottle. It has a carrying strap, a flip top lid etc and, apparently, a plastic collar with no discernible function except to make the top fit.

Why couldn't it just fit by itself? I'm now looking for the Superglue for a last ditch effort at MAKING the bloody thing work.
Is this in relation to the issue of pee and sloes?
On an totally unrelated note, I see Guinness have withdrawn their alcohol-free version over contamination fears. Don’t drink it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54901824

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Another blank day out stalking. I think I need to change my tactics. Or my aftershave, or something...

Some days, all you see is shit or hoofprints:

Bored, bored, bored...

Can't even pick the sloes, because the witches haven't peed on them yet

maximus otter
They're on to you:sherlock::rednose:

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Finished my Christmas shopping, posted Christmas cards/presents to those I won't be seeing (either overseas or Covid restricted) and cleaned the fridge of anything that needed going in the bin (bin night tonight).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Sorting out my drawers.

Yes, yes, very droll. :rolleyes:

Some time ago I managed to tip a whole pack of cocktail sticks into the official Kitchen Junk Drawer so I couldn't reach in there and feel about for things without getting stabbed.

So I've tipped everything out and found lots of useful items. Highlights are many foreign coins, about 20 packs of assorted cooking/food storage bags and possibly 150 stationery items. How it all gets in there, I do not know.

The drawer is now lined with nice clean fresh white paper. I'm giving it a couple of weeks to get jammed up again.

Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I have two weeks off work. So what have I been doing? Cleaning the kitchen.

Took the dog for an eight mile run first though. So, why is it that, whilst I am wiping down my grouting (oooerr, missus) the dog is quite happy to sit under her blanket and pretend to be tired, but as soon as I decide to sit down with a cup of coffee, she's pawing at me, climbing on my shoulder and asking to go out again?

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
A year or so ago we bought a new storage heater that, at the time, we intended to go in one particular room, but in the end we didn't use it there, so it has sat, unused, in its open box (we must have took it out of the box at some point and had a look at it, etc) since then.

Yesterday we were in the mood for a spot of DIY (as you do) so we thought we'd get this heater installed into the hallway, to replace the old one we finally got shot of a few weeks ago. It should have been a simple enough job; attach the new heater to the wall, and connect up the electrics.

Our usual problem is finding the tools to do the work. But nope, this time we had everything to hand. Drill? check. Drill bits? Check. My set of electrical screwdrivers? Check. Heat resistant cable we bought for the heater? Check.

We even had the installation leaflet for the heater, which had made its way out of the box at some point, and was found, quite by accident, and inexplicably, down the back of the printer last week (no idea how it got there).

So, with Mr Zebra firing up the drill and me reading the instructions, we found that the first job is to attach the feet and fixing bracket. They should have been in the box.

Except.

They weren't.

And like I said, it's over a year since we got this heater delivered and unpacked.

This evening after work we had another look for them. Still can't find them.

Damn.

It should have been such a simple job... :dunno:

And the bloody hallway is cold.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Cutting back some branches alongside the gardener who comes every 2 weeks.
He's giving it up in December as he's finding it too hard on him . He's wanted to sell his business but someone who was supposed to buy it had dropped out and he was rather despondent.
I remembered a flyer put in the letterbox months ago and rang to see if he was still going
I mentioned about the business and he was interested so I put my gardener on and he's texted the details so hopefully it works out.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Sorting out my drawers.

Some time ago I managed to tip a whole pack of cocktail sticks into the official Kitchen Junk Drawer so I couldn't reach in there and feel about for things without getting stabbed.

So I've tipped everything out and found lots of useful items. Highlights are many foreign coins, about 20 packs of assorted cooking/food storage bags and possibly 150 stationery items. How it all gets in there, I do not know.

The drawer is now lined with nice clean fresh white paper. I'm giving it a couple of weeks to get jammed up again.
Betty_Grable_20th_Century_Fox.jpg

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
I am sitting in front of my PC (WFH as I have been since March) and thinking Thank God I retire in 20 weeks (and allowing for holidays etc. only need work 15 of them) and should be able to get away with never seeing my workplace again!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's what else I did yesterday. Chucked a bag of CDs in the banger and grabbed one randomly to play.

The Messiah? Lovely. It's that time of year after all and I can sing it* so it's all good.

There's a lot more to The Messiah than the popular bits you hear at xmas so I wasn't too surprised when I didn't recognise some of it. Didn't even sound like Handel! A little avant-garde if you ask me.

Could it be... Yup, Messiaen. Or rather MESSIAEN in big letters on the upside-down CD case. :rolleyes:

*well I know the words

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Roofing guys turned up by surprise today - they were supposed to come tomorrow.
They didn't stay long - but they removed all the little stones that were on top of the garage's roofing felt. And they took away the old garage door that has been on the roof for years. Yay!
More of this tomorrow.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A relation with whom I didn't get on died today. I received the news from Escet and we chatted a bit, then I heard our tall metal gates rattling and a big THUD.

Rushed out and saw a large white sack on the ground. Couldn't help thinking Relation's son had dropped her off to needle me one more time...

It's the dry cat food which we buy in bulk and yes, I am a bad person.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Found one of those novelty wind-up kitchen timers lying around and decided to try it.

It works in a different way from how I thought, so when I think I've set it for 10 minutes it actually runs for 50, by which time I've long forgotten about it. So when it rings loudly I jump out of my silly skin.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Roofing guys managed to do most of the work today. They'll be back to finish up tomorrow.
Finally, I'll have a dry garage.

Last edited:

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Is this in relation to the issue of pee and sloes?
On an totally unrelated note, I see Guinness have withdrawn their alcohol-free version over contamination fears. Don’t drink it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54901824
I bought some of this the other week, i still have one can left, i didnt drink a lot of it most went down the sink, but we need to know WTF the contamination is so we can do something, its been over a week since i had any so should be ok, but im at high risk still, the other goes down the sink.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
I bought some of this the other week, i still have one can left, i didnt drink a lot of it most went down the sink, but we need to know WTF the contamination is so we can do something, its been over a week since i had any so should be ok, but im at high risk still, the other goes down the sink.
I would hope you would be fine, I would have thought, after over a week :group:. This link doesn't explain what the contamination is, but does say you can return your remaining can for a refund:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/11/guin...over-concerns-they-are-contaminated-13575103/

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
A relation with whom I didn't get on died today. I received the news from Escet and we chatted a bit, then I heard our tall metal gates rattling and a big THUD.

Rushed out and saw a large white sack on the ground. Couldn't help thinking Relation's son had dropped her off to needle me one more time...

It's the dry cat food which we buy in bulk and yes, I am a bad person.
No, you are honest and funny ;)

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I would hope you would be fine, I would have thought, after over a week :group:. This link doesn't explain what the contamination is, but does say you can return your remaining can for a refund:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/11/guin...over-concerns-they-are-contaminated-13575103/
They should have at least explained what it was, it was the least they could have done, ill tip the other can down the toilet, im not going to go to morrisons for just £3.50 for all four tins when i only have one left and cant prove i bought it from there

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
Sorting out my drawers.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
In my experience, Shady, they don't tell you what the 'contamination' is.

If, for example, they said 'some cans of Guinness may have been contaminated with bits of metal that broke off a machine in the filling line', they would be inundated with demands for compensation by people who 'just happened' to have found a whacking bit of metal 'in their can'.

If they just leave it at 'contamination', they can weed out the chancers who try to claim money off them for 'something' in their can (when the contamination was with the packaging).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In my experience, Shady, they don't tell you what the 'contamination' is.

If, for example, they said 'some cans of Guinness may have been contaminated with bits of metal that broke off a machine in the filling line', they would be inundated with demands for compensation by people who 'just happened' to have found a whacking bit of metal 'in their can'.

If they just leave it at 'contamination', they can weed out the chancers who try to claim money off them for 'something' in their can (when the contamination was with the packaging).
Very shrewd! :wink2:
Both Guinness and you.

Reminds me of the alleged finding of a watch-type battery in a chocolate figure a few years ago. It was an obviously scam but thousands of the items were recalled. Must've been frustrating for the company.

I forget the details but it was soon proved that the contamination could not have happened because, I dunno, the special battery-sniffing dogs at Dover would have found it or summat.