What Have You Been Doing Today?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Did a bit of sewing just now. Was finding that my face* gets cold when I'm out on t'moke so I made a fleece/Aertex tube. The Aertex goes at the front to breathe through and the rest is jazzy fleece to cover t'fizzog/neck.

Wearing it now, very cosy, although the test conditions (kitchen table) are not a precise reproduction of a chilly Cheshire lane.
Also I can't drink my coffee though it.

*Was going to put 'cheeks' but I'm FAR too clever to set myself up for the crude ribaldry so beloved of certain parties.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
In my experience, Shady, they don't tell you what the 'contamination' is.

If, for example, they said 'some cans of Guinness may have been contaminated with bits of metal that broke off a machine in the filling line', they would be inundated with demands for compensation by people who 'just happened' to have found a whacking bit of metal 'in their can'.

If they just leave it at 'contamination', they can weed out the chancers who try to claim money off them for 'something' in their can (when the contamination was with the packaging).
Very shrewd! :wink2:
Both Guinness and you.

Reminds me of the alleged finding of a watch-type battery in a chocolate figure a few years ago. It was an obviously scam but thousands of the items were recalled. Must've been frustrating for the company.

I forget the details but it was soon proved that the contamination could not have happened because, I dunno, the special battery-sniffing dogs at Dover would have found it or summat.
Ah, I see, you see, I never looked at it like that, cause I would never try to do that to a company, and we all make mistakes, any way, as my link says it is a mould, people should be ok, I am anyway, but I think I would sooner have the real Guinness if I can use the voucher on it as I am not enamoured with the non alcoholic one at all.
Did the company sue those people who tried to scam them, or didn't bother? I hate greedy nasty little people like that.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
l’ve been down a strangely specific rabbit hole, trying to research the dimensions of British WW1 two-gallon petrol cans, sometimes known as “Valors” or “flimsies”.

First world problems, eh?

maximus otter

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I like the big green ones, used to have a few of them, have no clue what i did with them, not around now anyway.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
l’ve been down a strangely specific rabbit hole, trying to research the dimensions of British WW1 two-gallon petrol cans, sometimes known as “Valors” or “flimsies”.

First world problems, eh?

maximus otter
My Dad had one like that, but painted yellow. My Mum may still have it in the garage.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Spent the day complaining about the heatwave (39C - or thereabouts, with more to follow over the weekend), and watching the brilliant anime Inuyasha...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Did the company sue those people who tried to scam them, or didn't bother? I hate greedy nasty little people like that.
Yup, the reports at the time were that the customer 'said' they'd found the battery, in that way of reporting that tells you nobody believes a word!
After the products were recalled nothing further was found and it was obvious the 'finder' had been trying it on.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Went for a thirteen-mile bike ride. Sat by the waterside, sneering at the ducks as l munched my home-made muesli bar. Got home before the day dropped below freezing, and enjoyed a hot shower.

Life is good.

maximus otter

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Went shopping for my parents; made a vegan TVP-based curry for dinner tonight; ate beans on toast for lunch; watched Law and Order; off for my flu jab in an hour or so (paid for – I've had them for years on the recommendation of my doctor). Hmm, doesn't look the most exciting day ever, though I had to gloss over the drugs and the 'professional' ladies part of the day...

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Went for a thirteen-mile bike ride. Sat by the waterside, sneering at the ducks as l munched my home-made muesli bar. Got home before the day dropped below freezing, and enjoyed a hot shower.

Life is good.

maximus otter
Hang on - you were whingeing about being under house arrest on a Covid thread this very morning!..

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Life is good.

maximus otter
Went for two rides yesterday and it was beautiful – albeit cold. Though I learnt my lesson from the day before's ride, and had toe covers and overshoes to keep my tootsies warm, two pairs of gloves for my fingers and a base layer, two-long-sleeved jerseys and a windproof for the rest of me; and a buff and skull cap! I was able to shed a pair of gloves and a jersey for the latter part of the ride.

I did take some pics on my newish mobile phone – hard to see how to do it in the bright light staring into the sun, but I'm quite pleased with the results. These are on the Two Tunnels Sustrans route south of Bath.

Attachments

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Went for two rides yesterday and it was beautiful – albeit cold. Though I learnt my lesson from the day before's ride, and had toe covers and overshoes to keep my tootsies warm, two pairs of gloves for my fingers and a base layer, two-long-sleeved jerseys and a windproof for the rest of me; and a buff and skull cap! I was able to shed a pair of gloves and a jersey for the latter part of the ride.

I did take some pics on my newish mobile phone – hard to see how to do it in the bright light staring into the sun, but I'm quite pleased with the results. These are on the Two Tunnels Sustrans route south of Bath.
Great pictures of the mist.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
A year or so ago we bought a new storage heater that, at the time, we intended to go in one particular room, but in the end we didn't use it there, so it has sat, unused, in its open box (we must have took it out of the box at some point and had a look at it, etc) since then.

Yesterday we were in the mood for a spot of DIY (as you do) so we thought we'd get this heater installed into the hallway, to replace the old one we finally got shot of a few weeks ago. It should have been a simple enough job; attach the new heater to the wall, and connect up the electrics.

Our usual problem is finding the tools to do the work. But nope, this time we had everything to hand. Drill? check. Drill bits? Check. My set of electrical screwdrivers? Check. Heat resistant cable we bought for the heater? Check.

We even had the installation leaflet for the heater, which had made its way out of the box at some point, and was found, quite by accident, and inexplicably, down the back of the printer last week (no idea how it got there).

So, with Mr Zebra firing up the drill and me reading the instructions, we found that the first job is to attach the feet and fixing bracket. They should have been in the box.

Except.

They weren't.

And like I said, it's over a year since we got this heater delivered and unpacked.

This evening after work we had another look for them. Still can't find them.

Damn.

It should have been such a simple job... :dunno:

And the bloody hallway is cold.
We had another search earlier this evening. Found the wall fixing bracket - it was attached to the back of the heater. :rolleyes:

So now we just have to find the two feet, which apparently according to a closer look at the instructions, should have been in the bottom two corners of the box. But now could be anywhere in the house.

We'll probably find them by spring... :headbang:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yesterday the forecast said it was going to be really hot and raining at night.
So today I did the washing and hung it out.
Now it's very overcast and I think it will rain very soon and of course the forecast now says rain.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On an totally unrelated note, I see Guinness have withdrawn their alcohol-free version over contamination fears. Don’t drink it.
I have absolutely no intention of putting alcohol free Guinness anywhere remotely near to my mouth. In fact, I doubt alcohol free Guinness will pass over the threshold of this modest little abode.

Let this be a warning to all those who want to meddle with the gifts that nature bestows on us.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I have absolutely no intention of putting alcohol free Guinness anywhere remotely near to my mouth. In fact, I doubt alcohol free Guinness will pass over the threshold of this modest little abode.
It could perhaps be used as a toilet cleaner.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...On an totally unrelated note, I see Guinness have withdrawn their alcohol-free version over contamination fears. Don’t drink it.
Contamination fears my backside. It's the ghostly howls of outrage emanating from St James's Gate - shuddering the windows and rattling the roof slates from Phoenix Park to East Wall: Mary Mother of Plunkett! Some culchie gouger's put fuckin' notGuinness in the Guinness - may bog-weevils infest their manky holes for eternity. Ya langers!

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
Back when I were in my very late teens, being a Queen fan an' all, and having discovered that Brian May (my favourite in the band) drinks Guinness, I thought I'd try some.

Now, bear in mind here folks, that I had never touched alcohol before. (Parents didn't have any, I didn't have any great desire to drink any, etc.) To be honest, I didn't really know what Guinness was, exactly.

My first sip :eek: o_O :confused: :zom: :freak: :sos: :horr: :nails: :headspinner: :gobs: :wacky: :hungo: :boozing:

I still don't drink alcohol to this day.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Back when I were in my very late teens, being a Queen fan an' all, and having discovered that Brian May (my favourite in the band) drinks Guinness, I thought I'd try some.

Now, bear in mind here folks, that I had never touched alcohol before. (Parents didn't have any, I didn't have any great desire to drink any, etc.) To be honest, I didn't really know what Guinness was, exactly.

My first sip :eek: o_O :confused: :zom: :freak: :sos: :horr: :nails: :headspinner: :gobs: :wacky: :hungo: :boozing:

I still don't drink alcohol to this day.
I once hoped that Guinness would be more potable as a shandy.

Nope.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
WARNING: Contains account of hunting.

I finally broke my longest-ever string of blank deer stalking outings this morning!

I was out on the permission at 0645hrs, just before legal shooting time (1 hour before dawn to 1 hour after sunset). It was a lovely, cold, calm morning, and I was glad of all the wool layers I had on.

The initial phase proved uneventful, but as I walked past a strip of old oak woodland, I saw a shadowy shape about 50 yards through the hedge and into a large field. A look through my binoculars revealed not one, but two roe does which were obviously aware of my presence, though not unduly alarmed. Yet.

I was in an awkward position, as the hedge between us was quite thick. There was a slightly less overgrown "window" a couple of yards farther on, so I edged up to it, deploying my quad sticks and unsnapping the sling of my rifle. I got the Sako up on the sticks and had time to check through my bins: game on! As I was taking up my final firing position, the nearest doe became alarmed and turned so as to face 90° to my left, obviously just about to flee. Perfect. I squeezed the last ounce of pressure into the trigger...

TIiiish...pok!

To my surprise, the doe took off at a run farther into the field, then looped back to her right and headed off away from me along the wood edge. I fed a fresh round into the breech, but her run only lasted ten seconds before she dropped by the decrepit fence. This sort of result is entirely standard in deer stalking, as deer routinely travel for many yards with mortal injuries; it's just a first for me with a small species and the extremely efficient ammo I use.

Quad sticks, roe, Sako 85 Finnlight

Time for the housework. I carried her a few yards into the woods, where I sawed off a small, dead branch at eye height. Hooking her back legs onto my gambrel, I got down to laying the groundwork for some delicious free-range venison:

Gralloched, head & legs off, ready for the rucksack. 26lbs weight as seen

Into her new temporary accommodation:

It's a bumbag that unfolds into a rucksack: cool, eh?

"You got blood on your face
You big disgrace
Wavin' your [rifle] all over the place..."

After Phase II at home:

23½ lbs as seen

Now awaiting Phase III (butchery) and delivery to my farmer, who'll have some delicious, free, healthy meals; also some payback for all of his crops that she's eaten!

Levity aside, I feel privileged to be able to stand in an ancient English oak wood at sunrise on a crisp, late autumn morning, taking part in a ritual that was old when the glaciers retreated 12,000 years ago: honouring a fleet and skilful quarry, and putting good food on the tribe's table.

Life is good.

maximus otter

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
All this despite being under house arrest eh max?

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Well, I went for a five mile run and then, so as not to have wasted the effort of getting into my running gear, when I got back I decided to weed out the garden path (which is bricks laid in a random sort of pattern, so full of grass and moss).

I'm not as young as I used to be, as evidenced by the fact that getting up from having been kneeling down weeding for an hour after a run made a noise like a young tree being felled and I couldn't stand upright for ten minutes.

But it's done now and it looks lovely!