What Have You Been Doing Today?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We have a covered passage along the side of the house. It has a light which I've fitted with a remote control switch. When Techy goes in and out on his bike in the dark I put it on for him.

I explained about the switch but in true husbandly style he didn't listen to a word.

So tonight I asked him to pop out and check if the light was working, gave him 30 seconds to walk round and then flicked it on and off about 6 times.
He nearly jumped out of his skin! :rollingw:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I'm not as young as I used to be, as evidenced by the fact that getting up from having been kneeling down weeding for an hour after a run made a noise like a young tree being felled and I couldn't stand upright for ten minutes.
lsn’t it terrible when you get up in the morning, and it sounds like someone making popcorn...

maximus otter

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
We had another search earlier this evening. Found the wall fixing bracket - it was attached to the back of the heater. :rolleyes:

So now we just have to find the two feet, which apparently according to a closer look at the instructions, should have been in the bottom two corners of the box. But now could be anywhere in the house.

We'll probably find them by spring... :headbang:
We found the feet!

:hapdan:

They were in a box in the same room that the heater is sitting in, a box which we had both checked before a couple of times..

So now we'll be all set to install it this weekend.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Girl in front of me in queue for Customer Services/Lotto/Tobacco/Newspapers counter at Morrison quietly sobbing. Heard her say to Staff she had lost her job (Delicatessen counter) 20 mins before-hand but didn't know why. After she left, Staff were speculating reason for dismissal, it wasn't because Morrison were laying people off - the opposite, more people were being taken on for the Xmas rush. She hadn't been trained for check-out so couldn't have sold alcohol to a minor or similar infringement. Her father who also worked at Morrison didn't know about her plight yet so everyone was keeping stumm for the moment. And yet I knew about it and really felt bad for her at this time of the year.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Girl in front of me in queue for Customer Services/Lotto/Tobacco/Newspapers counter at Morrison quietly sobbing. Heard her say to Staff she had lost her job (Delicatessen counter) 20 mins before-hand but didn't know why. After she left, Staff were speculating reason for dismissal, it wasn't because Morrison were laying people off - the opposite, more people were being taken on for the Xmas rush. She hadn't been trained for check-out so couldn't have sold alcohol to a minor or similar infringement. Her father who also worked at Morrison didn't know about her plight yet so everyone was keeping stumm for the moment. And yet I knew about it and really felt bad for her at this time of the year.
That's really weird. Surely she'd be given a reason? Summat's not right there.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
lsn’t it terrible when you get up in the morning, and it sounds like someone making popcorn...

maximus otter
Oddly enough it doesn't happen in the morning! I'm generally very flexible (running all those miles has to be good for SOMETHING), it was just kneeling down weeding...

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
That's really weird. Surely she'd be given a reason? Summat's not right there.
Poor lass may have been given a reason that she was too shocked to take in - or it could have been one of the 'diplomatic' reasons (ie, someone's suspected of having their hand in the till, but it's not the reason given for dismissal; that's a fudged explanation that contains twice as many words as necessary, most of which mean nothing), which goes something like 'a co-efficient rationalisation of the dispersal system'.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Went for two rides yesterday and it was beautiful – albeit cold. Though I learnt my lesson from the day before's ride, and had toe covers and overshoes to keep my tootsies warm, two pairs of gloves for my fingers and a base layer, two-long-sleeved jerseys and a windproof for the rest of me; and a buff and skull cap! I was able to shed a pair of gloves and a jersey for the latter part of the ride.

I did take some pics on my newish mobile phone – hard to see how to do it in the bright light staring into the sun, but I'm quite pleased with the results. These are on the Two Tunnels Sustrans route south of Bath.
The bottom ones look like there is a huge energy shield like on SGA, cool, lovely pics XX

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Poor lass may have been given a reason that she was too shocked to take in - or it could have been one of the 'diplomatic' reasons (ie, someone's suspected of having their hand in the till, but it's not the reason given for dismissal; that's a fudged explanation that contains twice as many words as necessary, most of which mean nothing), which goes something like 'a co-efficient rationalisation of the dispersal system'.
The short answer there is to talk to one's union. Sadly, most retail workers aren't members and so can be illegally fired at the drop of a hat.

In my last job my boss tried really hard to harass me but failed miserably because I wasn't afraid of him, being a union member. I let him know this. I eventually left for a better job and he ended up having a breakdown.

Okarin

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Slow day today morning walk following an afternoon of reading, I'm half way through Colin Wilson's The Occult and I've just started FT 400

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Watching some CCTV footage of some arsehole who threw his dog to the ground violently then threw a brick through The Wellington Arms pub window in Cromer at about half three this morning. Unfortunately I don't recognise him but hopefully someone will, it's all over Cromer facebook pages this evening.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Installing the storage heater mentioned upthread.

Heating has just kicked in for its brief afternoon stint and the neon light has lit up on the switch so all appears to be working so far.

Won't know until tomorrow morning if the heater is fully working though, once its had its first overnight charge.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I did an hour on weights at the gym at lunchtime, then - with the invaluable help of my amazing wife - I butchered the roe deer I shot on Wednesday.

The result:

~13 lbs (~ 5.75 kg) of free-range - and free! - venison for the farmer on whose land I shot it.

Considering that Tesco sells venison steaks at £27 per kilo, I reckon he'll have a nice Christmas out of that.

maximus otter

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Getting to tier 100 Greater Rift on Diablo 3 on HardCore mode.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Installing the storage heater mentioned upthread.

Heating has just kicked in for its brief afternoon stint and the neon light has lit up on the switch so all appears to be working so far.

Won't know until tomorrow morning if the heater is fully working though, once its had its first overnight charge.
the_shining_-jack-frozen.jpg

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Was clearing away the walk and shoring boards from a grave, mourners all about, silence apart from me bending down to pick up a board and a RIP noise. I hope the bereaved didn't notice.
received_204453617896218.jpeg

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Glad to hear it! :D
Thanks - tis always good when a DIY project works.

Recent other projects were:

- Install a new doorbell push and associated wiring to the transformer
No, we didn't try pressing it several times just for the novelty value, it was "to check it rings in the rear hall too"

- Install a switch in the porch so the light in there can be controlled independently from the outside lights which are on all the time due to being sensor-controlled
No, we didn't try switching the light on and off several times just for the novelty value, it was "to check the operation of the switch does not interfere with the outside sensor lights"

:D

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Working. The good thing about working from home is being able to do things on my lunch break that I couldn't do in work, eg having a bath, ironing, watching the telly, going into bed for a snooze...

Also, I used the Search function on the forum earlier and discovered that (if it's accurate) I recently became the first person in over four years to use the word 'ringpiece' on the FTMB. I don't know if I should be proud of that...but I am.

Buchanan

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
In my experience, Shady, they don't tell you what the 'contamination' is.

If, for example, they said 'some cans of Guinness may have been contaminated with bits of metal that broke off a machine in the filling line', they would be inundated with demands for compensation by people who 'just happened' to have found a whacking bit of metal 'in their can'.

If they just leave it at 'contamination', they can weed out the chancers who try to claim money off them for 'something' in their can (when the contamination was with the packaging).
Perhaps the contamination was alcohol. But perhaps best to consider before disposing, that it is medically proven That teetotalism is in the long run 100% fatal.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Working from home today so went to Charity Shop to see if they were taking stuff. They weren't keen as donations are booked on-line (?) but my description of a pair of terracotta Santa seats intrigued the Manager sufficiently for him to open the back door. In good nick, original price tag still attached to bottom and if I couldn't get rid of them this time of the year, then when ? Manager actually seemed chuffed to take them.
A small bit of space in my Flat recovered.

Seats2382A.jpg

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Frozen neck and shoulder (post flu jab) BUT the last Monday I had to work until next year.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Finding random places around the back garden in which to plant some daffodil bulbs. Mr Zebra did the digging, I threw the bulbs in the holes, and ZebraPup1 tried to get them back out again (in her world, everything thrown is a tennis ball which must be retrieved).

Digging out an old creeping plant of some description allowed us to find an old stone planter it was planted in, that we didn't know was there (such was the thickness of the creeping plant and the grass that had overgrown it).

With all probability we'll forget where we planted the bulbs, which will lead to a pleasant surprise in spring.