What Have You Been Doing Today?

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
We'd thrown out our old Christmas tree earlier in the year because it was past its best, and with everything going on we weren't going to bother with any decorations this year. But a couple of weeks ago we thought maybe we should get one and make the effort to enjoy Christmas (and sentimental 'ol me felt awful about the dogs not having a proper Christmas) so we ordered one online.

It arrived yesterday so we put it up this afternoon after clearing a space in the living room. It's a nice one, 5-feet tall with multicoloured lights already attached and requires very little set-up (much easier than our old, cumbersome one).

So there was Mr Zebra attaching the base and putting the two main parts on whilst I read the instructions. The electric plug was separate from the cable, so we'd put that down on the floor whilst the tree was assembled. But when we came to need the plug we couldn't find it anywhere.

And then Mr Zebra spotted where it was.

ZebraPup1 was lying nearby, and she was holding the plug in her mouth. It wasn't chewed or damaged, she'd just been lying there holding it perfectly still in her jaws. (She does tend to like just holding things). As ZebraPup2 was wandering about and tends to pick things up and chew them, I like to think that ZebraPup1 saw the potential danger whilst we were otherwise distracted, and picked up the plug for safety.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
We went out shopping this evening after work (last grocery shopping until after Christmas). We were a bit worried there might be shortages because of the news headlines today, but everything seemed normal for this time of year.

Don't need to go back to the supermarket for at least a week now so that's good :)

There was a pleasingly minor coincidence tonight though.
It was raining heavily as we drove toward town. Duran Duran was playing on the car stereo USB thingy (we've got all their songs on there and it just plays them at random). It played the following songs (among others of course, but still it was quite fortuitous):

Before the Rain
Hold Back the Rain
Salt in the Rainbow

:D

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Dad got his Village gift voucher and so I went out to the Co-op and got a small turkey.

(Had to add a bit of my Xmas money but who cares)

It has giblets so our feral can enjoy some too

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Went to our local shops to get ready for Christmas.

Fortunately no sign of panic buying as I purchased cranberries, onions, potatoes, sweet potato, broccoli, carrots, sprouts and leeks from the veg shop, streaky and back bacon from the butcher and croissants among other things from Sainsbury's; there isn't a bakery any more. We use local shops where possible but the butcher didn't sell chicken wings, which I use as the basis for the Turkey gravy, so they also came from Sainsbury's. So, tomorrow I'll be making stock, gravy and homemade cranberry sauce. I can smell it already...

Also bought three CDs for a quid each from a charity shop – two Blondie and David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, which I didn't have. I do like to keep up to date with contemporary music!!!

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
We're off work now for the festive period (yesterday being our last day) but because we've been working from home since March, there was very little difference between this morning and yesterday morning. Just that this time yesterday we'd be in the back room sitting at our computers working and today we don't need to go in there.

So in a way it doesn't really feel like there's the usual separation of work and not work.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Fortunately no sign of panic buying
The ex wife works in Argos inside a large Chelmsford Sainsbury’. I mentioned to her a couple of days ago that the current wife was taking our adopted pensioner there today to do his weekly shop and pick up a few last minute things for us.
I got a text at 6.45 this morning from the ex informing us that Sainsbury’s was extremely busy and the shelves were becoming bare. Current wife got there with our OAP at 08.15 and managed to get everything on our list but the old guy missed out on his chicken thighs...all gone! Lots of open spaces on the shelves apparently.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The ex wife works in Argos inside a large Chelmsford Sainsbury’. I mentioned to her a couple of days ago that the current wife was taking our adopted pensioner there today to do his weekly shop and pick up a few last minute things for us.
I got a text at 6.45 this morning from the ex informing us that Sainsbury’s was extremely busy and the shelves were becoming bare. Current wife got there with our OAP at 08.15 and managed to get everything on our list but the old guy missed out on his chicken thighs...all gone! Lots of open spaces on the shelves apparently.
I was at Sainsbury's this morning around 8.15 picking up the turkey and it was fuller than I'd seen it all year. No sign of empty shelves then but I suspect the shelves will look sparse later in the day.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The very last of the last minute shopping, wondering why people are incapable of walking, or are unwilling to walk, in a straight line on the left hand side, putting presents under the tree. Considering when to see Wonder Woman at the movies in the following week...

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Down to one front wall pigeon now, all the others seem to have deserted my feeding regimen, Traitors. I can still see them in th trees opposite but only one can be bothered to come down and say hi.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Down to one front wall pigeon now, all the others seem to have deserted my feeding regimen, Traitors. I can still see them in th trees opposite but only one can be bothered to come down and say hi.
Ingrates!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I've invented a great song about pigeons called Pigeon' About (Pidging About). I can't do it justice here.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I drove off to see my Mum and spent the day there, came back about 5 pm. We had a slightly Christmassy dinner (not turkey).
Fortunate that we are both in the same Covid tier, otherwise it would be verboten.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Christmas Day. Not visited by any ghosts (good). Still allowed to be an old orphan-kicking bastard (good) but none turned up (bad) sat here this evening having got an original Dinky Thunderbirds Fab1 Pink Roller, cooked the full turkey dinner, washed it down with champers and am now on the sloe gin after watching Nicholas go full Cage in The Colour of Space, I think I’ve deserved to feel as contented as I am. For this day anyway.

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
.... having got an original Dinky Thunderbirds Fab1 Pink Roller, cooked the full turkey
You remind that as a youngster, my mum worked in the toy department of a large department store for a few years.

Every Friday, on payday, she would bring home a Corgi car as a present.

I had so many of the classics, including:

James Bond
The Saint
The Batmobile
The Beatles Yellow Submarine
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Green Hornet
Police cars
Fire Engines
Ambulances
Taxi cabs
The car with a boat trailer
The news van with the film cameraman
A Rolls Royce
Construction vehicles
Plus all the general cars of that era
etc.

I also had the huge car transporter where the top level would fold down, allow you to drive three cars on to it, lift up again and then you could add another three to the bottom, which would give you six cars in total being transported.

I loved it so much.

If I still had all of them in original condition with their boxes, they would easily be worth £20,000 plus at auction. :)

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You remind that as a youngster, my mum worked in the toy department of a large department store for a few years.

Every Friday, on payday, she would bring home a Corgi car as a present.

I had so many of the classics, including:

James Bond
The Saint
The Batmobile
The Beatles Yellow Submarine
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Green Hornet
Police cars
Fire Engines
Ambulances
Taxi cabs
The car with a boat trailer
The news van with the film cameraman
A Rolls Royce
Construction vehicles
Plus all the general cars of that era
etc.

I also had the huge car transporter where the top level would fold down, allow you to drive three cars on to it, lift up again and then you could add another three to the bottom, which would give you six cars in total being transported.

I loved it so much.

If I still had all of them in original condition with their boxes, they would easily be worth £20,000 plus at auction. :)
I still have a Batmobile, James Bond's Aston Martin and the transporter. I reckon if they came up for auction they'd make about a fiver combined, maybe even seven quid! Condition is everything, and these were played with – as they should be! My favourite, that I still have somewhere in a not-totally destroyed condition, is the Dinky Fab1. (The pic shown isn't mine.)

6kKylG40NJ59uIvXtQ7xyg.jpg

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thats an odd place to put the lipstick.

Yup, toys are meant to be played with.

Having said that I am currently expanding my Britains Zoo and Farm collection; I only had so many as a child, and its so satisfying to add to the box as an adult,

My moose now has a red deer friend, and the Bison is penned with a wildebeest and gaur.

And I've got a nice Guernsey cow herd to match my Friesians!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Thats an odd place to put the lipstick.

Yup, toys are meant to be played with.

Having said that I am currently expanding my Britains Zoo and Farm collection; I only had so many as a child, and its so satisfying to add to the box as an adult,

My moose now has a red deer friend, and the Bison is penned with a wildebeest and gaur.

And I've got a nice Guernsey cow herd to match my Friesians!
I found a one legged lead soldier (red tunic) and the missing leg on my last metal detecting dig - well I found the leg first but didn't know what it was. In the next hole I dug up the matching base which told me it was a Britains toy. I did some research and discovered that these soldiers could be dated (pre and post 1940's) depending on whether the face had a moustache. It was only at that point I noticed the soldier was missing a head.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Sliding about on the ice-covered snow that has been our back garden for the last week or so, whilst taking ZebraPup1 and ZebraPup2 out for their early morning / mid morning / lunchtime / I-know-you-took-me-out-an-hour-ago-but-I-just-ran-around-and-didn't-pee-so-I-need-to-go-again-now / teatime / evening ablutions. (Of which there will be another before bedtime, of course).

Mr Zebra and I were back at work after the Christmas break.

This afternoon we found time to telephone the RSPB to order our 'birdwatch guide' thingy (can't remember what it's called but you have to tick the birds you've seen in your garden).

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Bike started on 4th attempt and I rumbled on to the station (06:30), cold already got through the gauntlets. Train time-table changed again and my usual fast train has been dropped - never mind, tomorrow I'm working from home (bed more likely). Except I'm not because I got a text from my colleague saying he felt like shit and can't taste anything. So he's out of action for 24-48 hours waiting for the Covid test to turn up and however long the results take. University has a free LFT test centre (tonsil and nose swab) for Staff not showing symptoms. I tried to book, but contractors wanted to fit wireless fire alarm in my office (no more pesky wireless fires). School Fire alarm then goes off. Contractors have drilled into the ceiling. We told them not to drill into the ceiling because that's where the hot water pipes run. Basement corridor was like a Swedish sauna/Turkish bath ie all tsunami and steam - the water got into the control box which triggered the fire alarm which immobilised all the lifts (2 hours). I got my LFT test and head off to the Cabbie Shelter for a bacon sandwich, result through in 30 mins. It was a long text message split into two. I read the newest text first (yes a stupid habit) and it said " you require medical attention, call 999".
Then read earlier text - said result was negative and then went on and on about what to do if it had been positive, ending with if
(you require medical attention...). I'm still cold. Maybe this should have gone into the whinge thread. Sorry.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Dragging the washing out of the driver earlier, it occurred to me that life would be easier if I did up the poppers on the duvet covers before washing them. That way, it wouldn't turn inside out and trap things inside it.

After using and laundering duvets for 40-odd years I've only just realised this. Please tell me I'm not the only idiot still fishing odd socks and incriminating underwear out of them.