What Have You Been Doing Today?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Morning all it’s my birthday today so that’s what I’ve been doing so far enjoying that.
Breakfast in bed opening presents . 64 today and let tell you it was a lot different when I was a lad etc etc
Happy Birthday :badge: .. and was that when the internet was in black and white? ..

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Trying to breathe some new life into my ma's laptop, with a RAM upgrade and new SSD.

Trying to clone the old HDD to an SSD, and it has worked according to the copy tool, but laptop is not booting.

Fecksticks.

Will persevere.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Is it the sort where the cat attacks its own back and rolls around growling and hissing? Our Tim does that.
She starts to drool and then meows and then starts to go crazy running then goes on her side and it looks like she trying to slow walk then she stops and i stroke and talk to her, she comes out of it and she ok

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This morning we had great sunny weather and we (a couple of older, thicker blokes) were doing jiu-jitsu (wooden) sword training in the playground. You can keep the required corona distance doing that. Regularly the local toddlers would drive their mini-cars and mini-scooters in between us. We were amused, the toddlers were amused and the parents didn't mind.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
She starts to drool and then meows and then starts to go crazy running then goes on her side and it looks like she trying to slow walk then she stops and i stroke and talk to her, she comes out of it and she ok
We reckon our Tim has feline hyperesthesia. He acts as if something is biting his back.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Hope your cat is better soon. It must be so distressing for both you and her.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
NOTE: Contains account of successful hunt.

I was up at WTF? o'clock, and on the land before sunrise. The weather was cold, but conditions were ideal: gentle winds from the SW.

I saw nothing on the walk in. My mate's crops were a few inches tall; just the right height to be tempting to a deer.

As I entered Big Field, I was thinking that I'd seen two roe does flee from the small spinney, off to the NW into Little Wood, on my last, blank, outing. Accordingly, unlike my usual routine, I went north instead of heading further west, and approached the spinney. I was wishing that I had a thermal spotter, as seeing a deer in that tangle of high vegetation and fallen wood is almost impossible.

My fears were realised as I saw what I believe to have been a roe doe run out of the spinney on the far side, again heading towards Little Wood.

Disheartened, I continued north along the east side of the spinney. As I began to curve to the west, following the spinney's eastern flank, I became aware of a dun-coloured shape just inside Big Field from North Grove. A look through the Swarovski 8 x 42 binoculars revealed a muntjac. Game on!

The animal was intent on something on the ground, and seemed oblivious to my presence. As the bins had given its range as about 140 yards, I thought I'd risk walking a few steps closer before setting up for the shot. I did so, and the Swarovskis indicated a new range of 125 yards.

I had time to set up my quad sticks and dial the scope magnification up from the default 6-power to approximately 10-power. I had a rock-steady firing position, and centred the reticle just behind the deer's right shoulder as it peered intently at the ground. Two pounds pressure on the Sako's trigger, and...

TIiish-pok!

Muzzle of my
Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55mm, protective duct tape blown off its sound moderator, munty circled

The deer collapsed instantly, legs in the air. One kick and it was all over, dead in its own shadow.

I dumped rifle, sticks etc. near my gralloching tree in the spinney, and approached to find a pale-coloured, chunky little muntjac doe. The entry hole in her right side was imperceptible; the exit wound on the far side, large.

Munty as found; my approximate firing position circled

A short drag back to my gralloching tree, and down to work.

On the walk back to the vehicle, quad sticks in foreground

At home, she weighed 17lbs. with hide on. Both front legs were ruined by the bullet, so I discarded them. She was 12lbs. into the fridge, skinned.

Note size of exit hole in (deer's) right side

That's this summer's barbecue burgers sorted out!

In a pleasing coincidence, my new whisky tumbler - decorated with engraved deer - arrived in the post this morning. I shall christen it in Mrs. Munty's honour this evening.

maximus otter

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Went to look at a car that Techy fancied. I took snaps of the bits that are usually trouble like the insides of the wheel arches.

Didn't like the look of the badly-applied silver paint on the wheels -

car wheel.jpg

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I got home from having my daily coffee and noticed that one of my cats was watching something in the back corner of my yard. Upon looking closer, I realized that it was a young rabbit caught halfway through the chain link fence. He couldn't go forward or back. His hind quarters were too big. My other cat was behind him, watching.

I went back and managed to free him. I had to push him backward to get him out. His one hind thigh was skinned of fur (about inch long). I don't think there was too much other external damage. I just hope there was no internal trauma as I couldn't reach over the fence to get him to check him out.

He ran and sat about 10 feet away, breathing heavily. I enticed both my cats into house with treats. They came in and hopefully rabbit has recovered enough to go back to safety

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Put in 100 pages of editing, then went for a 6 mile run.

Lest you think that this makes me sound virtuous and some kind of paragon, I spent the rest of the day lounging on the sofa, eating chocolate biscuits and spending money on Easter gifts for the kids I'm not going to get to see until April.

Plus the dog has been eating grass all day and is off her food again. I foresee a morning of scraping poo off the kitchen floor again tomorrow.