What Have You Been Doing Today?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
NOTE: Contains account of successful hunt.

I was up at WTF? o'clock, and on the land before sunrise. The weather was cold, but conditions were ideal: gentle winds from the SW.

I saw nothing on the walk in. My mate's crops were a few inches tall; just the right height to be tempting to a deer.

As I entered Big Field, I was thinking that I'd seen two roe does flee from the small spinney, off to the NW into Little Wood, on my last, blank, outing. Accordingly, unlike my usual routine, I went north instead of heading further west, and approached the spinney. I was wishing that I had a thermal spotter, as seeing a deer in that tangle of high vegetation and fallen wood is almost impossible.

My fears were realised as I saw what I believe to have been a roe doe run out of the spinney on the far side, again heading towards Little Wood.

Disheartened, I continued north along the east side of the spinney. As I began to curve to the west, following the spinney's eastern flank, I became aware of a dun-coloured shape just inside Big Field from North Grove. A look through the Swarovski 8 x 42 binoculars revealed a muntjac. Game on!

The animal was intent on something on the ground, and seemed oblivious to my presence. As the bins had given its range as about 140 yards, I thought I'd risk walking a few steps closer before setting up for the shot. I did so, and the Swarovskis indicated a new range of 125 yards.

I had time to set up my quad sticks and dial the scope magnification up from the default 6-power to approximately 10-power. I had a rock-steady firing position, and centred the reticle just behind the deer's right shoulder as it peered intently at the ground. Two pounds pressure on the Sako's trigger, and...

TIiish-pok!

Muzzle of my
Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55mm, protective duct tape blown off its sound moderator, munty circled

The deer collapsed instantly, legs in the air. One kick and it was all over, dead in its own shadow.

I dumped rifle, sticks etc. near my gralloching tree in the spinney, and approached to find a pale-coloured, chunky little muntjac doe. The entry hole in her right side was imperceptible; the exit wound on the far side, large.

Munty as found; my firing position circled

A short drag back to my gralloching tree, and down to work.

On the walk back to the vehicle, quad sticks in foreground

At home, she weighed 17lbs. with hide on. Both front legs were ruined by the bullet, so I discarded them. She was 12lbs. into the fridge, skinned.

Note size of exit hole in (deer's) right side

That's this summer's barbecue burgers sorted out!

In a pleasing coincidence, my new whisky tumbler - decorated with engraved deer - arrived in the post this morning. I shall christen it in Mrs. Munty's honour this evening.

maximus otter
It might even have been the munty which attacked Swifty. I see he's liked yiur post so he probably recognised it.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Picked up my new glasses today. Frames are very similar to the last pair,lenses a little stronger but not noticeably so, but it was 3 years since I had my eyes tested so was time for a new pair.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Well, I've done my bit for nature.
I've made and fitted a small nesting box for swallows on the fire escape on my house.
Hard to describe but I made it from scratch, using bit of wood and an old wicker basket. I've fixed it firmly and it should be okay.
Altruistic: it's in a location that we watched swallows last year investigating and it's a safe spot for them.
Selfish: it's right in front of one of our bedroom windows. We've watched swallows, and occasional house martins fly around this very discrete and private location. I'd love to watch them fly in and out of the nest box ... er ... nest basket while we're sitting in bed with our morning coffee.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Acquiring the kind of stigmata which comes from too much screwing.

I have dozens of screwdrivers. So why do I always choose the nasty ones?

Anyway, the back gate can now be padlocked again. It is Daddy-jobs season and needs must, though I would sooner fanny around in the kitchen!

Major deep-wood filling on the front door to look forward to tomorrow. There is just enough structure left to make this a viable approach.

On the brighter side, I learned only recently that the expensive Ronseal deep-wood filler, I have sworn-by for years, is exactly the same epoxy-resin used to fix cars. Big tub from Halford's and job should be a good'un! :yay:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Acquiring the kind of stigmata which comes from too much screwing.

I have dozens of screwdrivers. So why do I always choose the nasty ones?

Anyway, the back gate can now be padlocked again. It is Daddy-jobs season and needs must, though I would sooner fanny around in the kitchen!

Major deep-wood filling on the front door to look forward to tomorrow. There is just enough structure left to make this a viable approach.

On the brighter side, I learned only recently that the expensive Ronseal deep-wood filler, I have sworn-by for years, is exactly the same epoxy-resin used to fix cars. Big tub from Halford's and job should be a good'un! :yay:
Invest in an impact driver, best invention ever :)

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Broke my Bose headphones. Had them connected to my phone, which was in my back pocket, with the wire passing under my jumper and round my hip, and I caught the wire on a door handle. Normally it would just rip the connection out of the phone, or the wire off the headphones, but today it decided to pull the wire out of the connector. Proper job. Had to dig my earbuds out of my work bag to complete the ironing.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Didn't fancy starting anything major, so I hit the small jobs list today - including framing a print I bought ages ago and had kind of forgotten about.

I say 'framing' - I've got all the kit to make my own frames and have done so in the past, but this is a surprisingly classy Argos effort.

Still had to cut the mount, mind - which is the bit I always find most awkward.

20210326_183131.jpg

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Didn't fancy starting anything major, so I hit the small jobs list today - including framing a print I bought ages ago and had kind of forgotten about.

I say 'framing' - I've got all the kit to make my own frames and have done so in the past, but this is a surprisingly classy Argos effort.

Still had to cut the mount, mind - which is the bit I always find most awkward.

View attachment 37268
Its hanging a bit wonky :D

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
While preparing my lunch, I looked out of the kitchen window and saw a pair of dunnocks pecking about, so watched them for a couple of minutes, because they're cute. Then one of them started fluttering furiously, and the other hopped about looking interested. Suddenly - wheech! - they had mated and flown off. They don't hang about, birds.

Anyway, later I mentioned this to my mother, that there had been a pair of dunnocks in the back garden and they did what comes naturally, and she was really shocked. "Who do they belong to?!" she asked. I was confused. Turns out she thought I'd said there were two dogs in the back garden doing what comes naturally. I had to correct her, but this is what I get for having a mumbly voice.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
The new debit card NatWest sent me isn't contactless - I just assumed it would be like the old one (which runs out in 4 days). I got to my local branch this morning to find that the Bank is no longer open on a Saturday (to protect customers). I tried to get the card activated online but NatWest had other ideas. So I rang them, nice chap, he cancelled my existing card, gave a 21 day expiry date on my new card and arranged for a third card (contactless) to be posted to me. Seemed unnecessarily complicated.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
@Souleater - are those steps not going to be slippery as hell if they get wet? My friend has wooden decking out the back of hers and the wooden steps have had to have grip stuff stuck to them as they were hip-breakers when they'd got a bit of moss and some rain on them.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
@Souleater - are those steps not going to be slippery as hell if they get wet? My friend has wooden decking out the back of hers and the wooden steps have had to have grip stuff stuck to them as they were hip-breakers when they'd got a bit of moss and some rain on them.
Another thing... that wood needs to be treated so it doesn't rot. Probably OK to put on the brown stuff used for fences.
And another thing... maybe those steps need a batten underneath them to ensure that they don't break down with use?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Another thing... that wood needs to be treated so it doesn't rot. Probably OK to put on the brown stuff used for fences.
And another thing... maybe those steps need a batten underneath them to ensure that they don't break down with use?
Got to paint them yet, although all but the had rails are pressure treated wood, got some red ceder wood preserver left over from when i redid the covered seat at the back of their garden and the garden shed, im going to add some sand to it for the treads to make it non slip, will have to get a cheap throwaway brush for that though, its impossible to clean out, just need some nice weather to do it in now.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I've been butchering my muntjac from Tuesday, then helping my wife convert trying not to get in my wife's way while she turns it into ready-to-cook loins and burgers.

Some of the bits & pieces:

Much of the take:

The delicious result, ready for summer barbecues:

Eleven ¼-pound burgers! (And my reward for this evening just behind them...)

Life is good.

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Going to put up a guard rope :)
Make it really conspicuous, or place a big huge plant pot there. People can be distracted and forget when things have changed, and have horrible accidents.

Remember that lady who removed the seat from a dining chair to re-cover it, and forgot, and sat on the chair and fell through it and couldn't get out, and was stuck for days and died of a heart attack?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I had assumed that Dunnocks are a variety of Scots Chavs or Neds, off their heads on Dunnockfast and copulating all over the place.

Boiling water works on Manchester Chavs, though they can wreak havoc, when their Chav-knot kicks in and they rampage down the street in pairs. Ain't bonding wonderful! o_O