• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

What Have You Been Doing Today?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Make it really conspicuous, or place a big huge plant pot there. People can be distracted and forget when things have changed, and have horrible accidents.

Remember that lady who removed the seat from a dining chair to re-cover it, and forgot, and sat on the chair and fell through it and couldn't get out, and was stuck for days and died of a heart attack?
Dads going to put all the pots and his bonsai, that were on the wall, on the new deck, so there shouldnt be an issue of accidentily walking off of it :)

Last edited:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Make it really conspicuous, or place a big huge plant pot there. People can be distracted and forget when things have changed, and have horrible accidents.

Remember that lady who removed the seat from a dining chair to re-cover it, and forgot, and sat on the chair and fell through it and couldn't get out, and was stuck for days and died of a heart attack?
Not making light of the situation you described, but it did remind me of the time i was about 4 years old and my grandaf was out on his balcony, he sat on his old deckchair and went through the seat, i tried for about 5 minutes to tell my folks what had happened, through fits of hysterical laughter, he was fine btw and laughing himself when dad helped him out.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It might even have been the munty which attacked Swifty. I see he's liked yiur post so he probably recognised it.
It didn't attack me .. it was just frightened because some yuppie's dogs had just attacked it .. then she picked it up and handed it to me in my arms and then she left the scene with her expensive Dalmatian dogs to leave me to deal with her fuck up .. I was wondering what to do with it and then it made that decision for all of us by f'ing head butting me but even better bouncing off into the cliff side scrub .. life.

Last edited:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Getting my car fixed as it was making an awful shrieking noise when it started up. Luckily it was just the fan belt needed tightening.
Thank goodness for my mobile mechanic Robert, he can fix most things.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've been sorting an Amazon issue.

I was sent a replacement for an item that didn't turn up and Amazon wanted the original item returned or they'd charge me for it.

Chatted with the very helpful 'Peter' who cancelled it all for me.

Interestingly, he confirmed what I'd suspected, which is that the item (a very fine single malt) was broken en route.

This explains why it seemed to be arriving imminently one minute and disappearing the next! :chuckle:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score

I was sent a replacement for an item that didn't turn up and Amazon wanted the original item returned or they'd charge me for it.

Interestingly, he confirmed what I'd suspected, which is that the item (a very fine single malt) was broken en route.

This explains why it seemed to be arriving imminently one minute and disappearing the next! :chuckle:
Ah, this makes sense of an item I'd ordered for my daughter for Christmas (a quite expensive bottle of perfume). It showed as being on the vehicle on its way to me, then just never arrived. It was in plain wrapping, so, although everyone was telling me it was probably stolen, it was highly unlikely. It probably got a load of heavy stuff dumped on top of it in inadequate packaging.

If you received your Christmas gifts this year reeking of Versace Crystal...sorry.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Ah, this makes sense of an item I'd ordered for my daughter for Christmas (a quite expensive bottle of perfume). It showed as being on the vehicle on its way to me, then just never arrived. It was in plain wrapping, so, although everyone was telling me it was probably stolen, it was highly unlikely. It probably got a load of heavy stuff dumped on top of it in inadequate packaging.

If you received your Christmas gifts this year reeking of Versace Crystal...sorry.
Exactly the same seems to have happened 'ere: the parcel was 'one stop away' but then became On the way, but it's running late.

In fact it still says that on my Orders page!

We assumed it'd been dropped/chucked into the van at some point and broken, and the courier had finally found what the smell was when they took out the last parcel before ours.

On top of that Amazon's returns process had generated the return label etc. Someone pressed the wrong button!

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Morning peeps I’m basking in the glory of been made a genius loci and have made myself a cloak out of a dust sheet and have got a paper crown from an old Xmas cracker.
I’ve just been talking (regally)of course to the finance minister/private secretary who has informed me that if I don’t get the breakfast dishes done they will never be able to get the sceptre out of where she will shove it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Morning peeps I’m basking in the glory of been made a genius loci and have made myself a cloak out of a dust sheet and have got a paper crown from an old Xmas cracker.
I’ve just been talking (regally)of course to the finance minister/private secretary who has informed me that if I don’t get the breakfast dishes done they will never be able to get the sceptre out of where she will shove it.
We need to know more about this sceptre, please.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Yeah it got broken straight into the drivers flask haha :hahazebs:

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

woman-detective-drinking-whiskey-attractive-glass-39778083.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It’s long and knobbly and very long and I’ve thrown it away it’s just not worth the risk.
Also covered in gold and silver glitter :pop: with a hook on the end
The hook certainly showed foresight.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Sitting out in the sun reading A Ramble by Harry Stevenson, the father of former FT Reviews Editor Val Stevenson. It's more a memoir than an autobiography. I love his Ulster turn of phrase and sense of humour. Nothing particularly Fortean about it but his childhood reminds me of the Just William books. An interesting social history of Tyrone and his own work in the textile industry and local economic development. He was also involved in the New Ulster Movement. He was a target for both loyalists and the IRA. He was second in command of 8 UDR. Tales of him wearing ceramic body armour and the foiling of attempts to kill him. Val and his wife Paddy were also at risk. Also stories of the attitudes of some English officers referring to "indigenous soldiers", another calling him the senior native officer. He eventually had to move to England. Typical parsimonious Brits only giving him an M.B.E. and no proper financial support. I come from the Republican tradition* but it was good to read the perspective of this honourable man.

* Bit complicated, uncle in Royal Marines, cousin killed by MI5 agent in IRA.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Today has been one of those days when life feels like a French farce.

I've had a long long week at work and today is my day off, so I decided to do 'nothing'. But the weather is nice so I thought I'd put a load of washing on, whereupon the machine leaked all over the kitchen floor, soaking the huge kitchen rug. So I decided to wash the rug by soaking it in the bath (it was giving off a bit of a pong, presumably it's been getting wet every time the washing machine has been put on, this is just the first time I've noticed). Then I had to haul the soaking wet and enormous rug through the house to hang it outside, leaving a trail of wet floor behind me. So I got the mop and bucket out to clean the floors. And a sheet blew off the line and into the pond, so it will need washing again anyway. Whereupon the machine will leak, etc etc...

So I'm just going to sit here and watch Morse and eat peanut butter chicken. It's the safest way.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Did various tasks today then looked at t'interwebs and learned that a bridge in the next town has been hit by a vehicle so the road is closed off until further notice.

Went out to retrieve my phone from t'banger and saw my neighbour, who's a taxi driver, in his front garden. I popped over to tell him about the bridge strike and he was very pleased to hear about it as he's driving along there in the morning.

Good deed done! :D

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I had assumed that Dunnocks are a variety of Scots Chavs or Neds, off their heads on Dunnockfast and copulating all over the place.

Boiling water works on Manchester Chavs, though they can wreak havoc, when their Chav-knot kicks in and they rampage down the street in pairs. Ain't bonding wonderful! o_O
In what way would a couple of neds be "cute" and worth watching?! Honestly, has no one here ever seen a dunnock before? Drab, round little birds that look like female sparrows and hop and peck along the ground a lot?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In what way would a couple of neds be "cute" and worth watching?! Honestly, has no one here ever seen a dunnock before? Drab, round little birds that look like female sparrows and hop and peck along the ground a lot?
Hedge Sparrow is a more common name for the dunnock :)

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I've been butchering my muntjac from Tuesday, then helping my wife convert trying not to get in my wife's way while she turns it into ready-to-cook loins and burgers.
Eleven ¼-pound burgers! (And my reward for this evening just behind them...)

Life is good.

maximus otter
You ate Bambi. :tears:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Today has been one of those days when life feels like a French farce.

I've had a long long week at work and today is my day off, so I decided to do 'nothing'. But the weather is nice so I thought I'd put a load of washing on, whereupon the machine leaked all over the kitchen floor, soaking the huge kitchen rug. So I decided to wash the rug by soaking it in the bath (it was giving off a bit of a pong, presumably it's been getting wet every time the washing machine has been put on, this is just the first time I've noticed). Then I had to haul the soaking wet and enormous rug through the house to hang it outside, leaving a trail of wet floor behind me. So I got the mop and bucket out to clean the floors. And a sheet blew off the line and into the pond, so it will need washing again anyway. Whereupon the machine will leak, etc etc...

So I'm just going to sit here and watch Morse and eat peanut butter chicken. It's the safest way.
Fixing the leak would seem to be quite important.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Fixing the leak would seem to be quite important.
It didn't leak on the subsequent two washes - I am now wondering if a faulty door seal may have been responsible. After I took the mat up, I decided to do a trial wash to find out where the water leak was coming from. Of course, whilst I sat over the thing as it washed, not a drop of misplaced water came out.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It didn't leak on the subsequent two washes - I am now wondering if a faulty door seal may have been responsible. After I took the mat up, I decided to do a trial wash to find out where the water leak was coming from. Of course, whilst I sat over the thing as it washed, not a drop of misplaced water came out.
Washing machine leaks are usually down to a pump blockage. Easy to fix.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Might be the rubber seal, they can be bought and replaced by yourself but its quite tricky, ive done it once and in took much swearing to get the thing installed