What Have You Been Doing Today?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I was out on the land again this morning; but don't worry, those of you who are soft of heart and/or haven't tried venison yet, I didn't score.

Did you know that this happens every morning?

A delightful few hours out in the fresh air, during which I spotted several deer including at least three roe, a Chinese water deer and a (probable) muntjac.

My best chance was at the CWD, but he was over 330 yards away when first seen. I managed to get to 200 yards and get my rifle up on my quad sticks, but I couldn't get any closer across a bare, ploughed field. He became nervous and melted away through a hedge into a field where I do not have permission to shoot.

Unfortunately, I probably won't get out again for a few days, and roe does and CWD enter their close season on 1st April.

Still, I saw a lovely roe buck that will look even lovelier in my farmer mate's fridge. His dance card is marked after April Fools' Day...

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Been sat sitting in the garden then got bored so got our bikes out quick bit of maintenance and out for a nice bike ride.Brilliant but got mega sore bum now but worth it
Message me for cyclist's bum advice! ;)

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Drove my 86-year-old dad to hospital this morning for a heart procedure. He should be out again today but as he's 86 and not in great health, there's always a worry and I'm dreading the phone going today. Though it'll just be Amazon or Tesco about iPad purchase number 42, or the HMRC telling me I'm about to be arrested!!

And yesterday evening we entertained friends - outside of course - for the first time this year, which was nice. Pizzas, garlic bread, nibbles, wine and then I watched England win at football (though sometimes I wish defenders would just hoof the ball; not pretty but look where pretty nearly got us! Yes, play it when you can but sometimes the ball has to go! This will make no sense to non-football fans).

And this is my 1999th post on this forum, number 2000 coming later! I had a life once, obviously, but I was young then...

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Using my ultrasonic cleaner on the stainless steel bracelet of my watch: Euw!

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've dragged everything out from under t'stairs and done a Big Sort. Found loads of interesting things, including the date 'AUGUST1997' that I wrote on the wall in floor paint.
This would be one year before I met Techy! ;)

Another, more useful discovery was my light bulb stockpile. For some reason they used to be sold off for pennies at the local DIY and I invested heavily.
They were in bags and boxes around the place but are now neatly organised by type.

Techy and I each own hefty spotlights which now have their next bulbs taped to their stands ready for action. :cool:

It's now time to brave the ordeal of putting everything back. o_O

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've dragged everything out from under t'stairs and done a Big Sort. Found loads of interesting things, including the date 'AUGUST1997' that I wrote on the wall in floor paint.
This would be one year before I met Techy! ;)

Another, more useful discovery was my light bulb stockpile. For some reason they used to be sold off for pennies at the local DIY and I invested heavily.
They were in bags and boxes around the place but are now neatly organised by type.

Techy and I each own hefty spotlights which now have their next bulbs taped to their stands ready for action. :cool:

It's now time to brave the ordeal of putting everything back. o_O
unnamed-4.jpg

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Bought some timber to fix dads shed (rotted slats) and replace the slats on the roof of the covered seat, put a couple more coats of stain on their steps, stained the replacement slats for the shed and cut the slats for the roof to size and drilled them in preparation for staining and fixing tomorrow (weather permitting) im now knackered :yawn:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Worked today, earned money for the taxman.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Door-to-door Work and back takes 12 hours, 5 days a week, no lunch break, one man down and the pressure from Researchers trying to make up for lost time from lockdown is relentless. Office is 30C, photosensitive headache ever since jab and people finally sussed at 3 pm today that I may not be there tomorrow and Stores is shut (the whole University is shut) all of next week. Cue some panic buying of stock they won't use. But I've got holiday !!
I'll spend some of it in bed.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Today has been one of those days when life feels like a French farce.

I've had a long long week at work and today is my day off, so I decided to do 'nothing'. But the weather is nice so I thought I'd put a load of washing on, whereupon the machine leaked all over the kitchen floor, soaking the huge kitchen rug. So I decided to wash the rug by soaking it in the bath (it was giving off a bit of a pong, presumably it's been getting wet every time the washing machine has been put on, this is just the first time I've noticed). Then I had to haul the soaking wet and enormous rug through the house to hang it outside, leaving a trail of wet floor behind me. So I got the mop and bucket out to clean the floors. And a sheet blew off the line and into the pond, so it will need washing again anyway. Whereupon the machine will leak, etc etc...

So I'm just going to sit here and watch Morse and eat peanut butter chicken. It's the safest way.
Oooh! I know all about THOSE days. Shoulda just gone back to bed. It’s a lot safer there too.