What Have You Been Doing Today?

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Cutting up an old table top I made to be repurposed as the seat back for a garden bench we built last summer. It was all a bit of upcycling as I had originally made the table out of tongue and groove planks that came from machinery packing cases.

It required a circular saw and an electric plane.

I likes power tools, me. :)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Cutting up an old table top I made to be repurposed as the seat back for a garden bench we built last summer. It was all a bit of upcycling as I had originally made the table out of tongue and groove planks that came from machinery packing cases.

do you have pictures? I do enjoy seeing a bit of DIY. :twothumbs:

and power tools are lovely! I think @Kondoru and @escargot are fans too?

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

It required a circular saw and an electric plane.

I likes power tools, me. :)
Haha the 2 noisiest power tools, i bet your neighbours enjoyed that :p

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
do you have pictures? I do enjoy seeing a bit of DIY. :twothumbs:

and power tools are lovely! I think @Kondoru and @escargot are fans too?
Yup, I have loads, including a wide range of drills.

Current favourite is a nippy cordless model. I used to borrow Techy's but as he never, ever puts tools away* I got fed up with taking the blame when it or parts thereof went missing and bought my own.

*It's true. I clean and store every bit of equipment after use even if I plan to use it again next day. He leaves things out to be tripped over and go rusty.

In fact I have spare tools handy for him to borrow in the extremely likely event of his not being able to find his own.

Every man I've lived with has purloined my tools. It must be one of those testosterone things.

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
This morning, I are mostly watching the eclipse...
Gl3Ceu.jpg

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
do you have pictures?

@Ascalon - ignore these requests from Frides. She is well know for tralwing round internet forums trying to get diy pics from people...pics of brackets...erections...self-centring screwhole locators...

I think it's a bit of, y'know, a thing ;)

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
@Ascalon - ignore these requests from Frides. She is well know for tralwing round internet forums trying to get diy pics from people...pics of brackets...erections...self-centring screwhole locators...

I think it's a bit of, y'know, a thing ;)

Grooming alert! ;)

That's OK, I'm a big boy (oooh, matron!)

I'm sure I can handle myself.

Oh dear, I seem to have wandered into a double entendre minefield. :)

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
This afternoon I have visited 'Scratch Woods Open Space' which is next to the A1 at Borehamwood.
I will not be posting anything to Fortean Traveller about it.
It was a reasonably pleasant walk through some woods etc but it is (what I would describe as) 'unloved'.
It was quite muddy in places on the paths.
The paths themselves are purely 'desire paths' with no decent surfacing, except for in a couple of places where railway sleepers have been used to form small bridges across waterlogged areas.
There is quite a bit of littering, particularly near the car park.
The car park itself and nearby 'cafe' and outbuildings are extremely run down.
The areas of open 'park' which have benches etc are poorly maintained and it looks like the local council only cut certain bits of the overgrown grass when they can be bothered.

It really is a wasted opportunity. It could very easily be so much nicer.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Great line for the start of a Country and Western song.

:violin:
Every man I've lived with has pur-loined ma tools!
What the blazes did a woman ever see in those darn' fools?
I'm still shovelling' up after poor old Daddy's mules
Waiting' for them fancy cars an' jewels!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Meeting 2 friends face to face for the first time in many many months. Gave them my Caitin des bois badges as small gifts and received a plague doctor enamel badge and a laminated card which proves I am an accredited Zombie Hunter in Scotland. So good to see them and sit there smiling benignly at each other without eye contact :rollingw:

Also, made out the testing frames for the games mods where I'm trying to track down incompatibility glitches. Skyrim here I come!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
First Aid call out at Work during my 'lunch break' as it's jokingly referred to in my contract. Apparently some-one was on a Zoom meeting when their monitor went blank and that raised concern amongst her colleagues. "Oh WOW - you're my first HEART ATTACK - BRILLIANT !!! " or reassuring words to that effect. Ambulance arrived and carted her off whilst I returned to my cold coffee and carrot cake.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Today I have spent HOURS attempting to restore the paint on my car.

1990s Toyota red paint jobs are notorious for fading, here's a close up of the condition of mine...

20210611_110712 (750x392).jpg

...and here it is after my labours. I'm quite pleased (but fully expecting it to fade again soon - it needs a lot of maintenance).

20210611_145513 (750x386).jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Today I have spent HOURS attempting to restore the paint on my car.

1990s Toyota red paint jobs are notorious for fading, here's a close up of the condition of mine...

View attachment 40651

...and here it is after my labours. I'm quite pleased (but fully expecting it to fade again soon - it needs a lot of maintenance).

View attachment 40652
Happened to my old Toyota too (also red).

Trevp666

Reaction score
1990s Toyota red paint jobs are notorious for fading
A lot of 90s and 00s cars do this because it was common practice to use a plasticiser in the new non-toxic twin-pack paints being used at the time.
What they could not have realised at the time is that the inclusion of the plasticiser also led to the paint being subject to ultraviolet photochromatic degradation. This is not just in the surface layer that would be renovated by using a cutting agent and polishing, but throughout the whole layer of the paint.
Unfortunately your labours will have been in vain and the dull effect will return within weeks. A 'colour mop' will not address the problem.
The only long-term solution is a respray using a modern paint system. They are now 'water-based' (strictly speaking not actually water-based, but that's what it's called) paint schemes such as Lechler, and assuming the car is well sound and worth respraying can be carried out by any reputable paint shop.
And I know this because I used to work in the industry.
(You'll know the true colour of the vehicle by looking in the boot or under the bonnet where the sunshine hasn't beaten it into submission.)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Also saw a friend for the first time in months, for exchange of gifts and a chat. We both agreed the Fanzone is a stupid idea, but then I wondered if I was being a hypocrite, then reassured myself it's not as if I invited three thousand friends over.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
On my own again today, trying to move a pallet far too big to fit in the lift. Took the contents out of the crate - two cases on wheels about 4 foot tall and each weighing 25 Kgs. One was marked 'torso' and one was marked 'feet'. Reckoned this must be a SimMan manikin (or parts of one) for Pharmacy Practice. You hook these up to a computer to create a synthetic patient who can be programmed to give particular physiological responses in a given scenario. There's even a wound kit for added authenticity.
Better than Resus Annie or Eagle Eyed Action Man in a tux.

Sim-man.jpgBTLS Victim.jpg

Trevp666

Reaction score
Is that a barbecued hand addition too, on the left?