What Have You Been Doing Today?

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I went shopping at ASDA, I had put off shopping as on the spur of the moment, on Saturday, I decided to go to a walk in centre and have the booster, I have had a painful arm since then, it has now dwindled away, just an ache now

Ascalon

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Dora short for adorable presumably
We have two rescue cats, Alvin and Simon, so yes, Dora is short for Theodora.

I am not a dog person, but she is beautiful. Very nice colour. Do you think her colour will darken much as she grows? She looks like she has a sweet nature and is quite confident in her surroundings.
Her mum is quite white too, but yes, she will likely go a bit darker as she matures, biscuity, as opposed to golden, we are told.
In the meantime, she is just a flurry of cuteness.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Today, along with work and voluntary activities, we have been mostly training this little lady:
TrnU7M.jpg

This is Dora, the 9-week old retriever puppy.

We have been waiting more than two years to get a doggo. Could not be happier :)

l love the old gun dog trainers’ saying, that “Labradors are born half-trained; spaniels die half-trained.”

Just don’t let my missus near Dora: she’ll “vanish”, and the mem will be making excuses to leave, while trying to conceal the struggling in her handbag…

:rofl:

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Reaching a watershed moment in work. From now on, I'll do all the work that I can, to the best of my ability and not worry about how much I haven't got through, or spend weekends trying to think how I can get through everything, or do unpaid overtime trying to fit 10 hours work into 7 hour shift.
MrsF used to be exactly the same, (and even I was to a degree at one time). I soon realised though that quite often people are treated differently and that's one thing I hate- one rule for one, one for another, especially when you're in the same job/level. I pointed out that for a start, if you do it once they'll only expect you to do it every time. You can only do what you can. You won't be any better thought of for doing more anyway, believe me.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've been doing that Italian thing where you put away the summer clothes and bring out the winter ones.

Didn't know I had quite so many fleece pullies. :chuckle:

Dug out the cuffing again and have been attaching it to all the ones with poorly-finished sleeves.
Now they keep my wrists warm or stay up when I'm too hot.

There was an old but serviceable black fleece which I've adapted to wear for winter cycling.
That's a careful removal of the collar and shortening of the zip, all nicely finished. Works well.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today was a bit unusual in as much as we had a delivery to site that had come in from the continent and the driver told us he thought he had some stowaways on board.
The police were called, the container opened and one guy emerged. Very smartly dressed, lovely new trainers and considerate enough to wear a mask as he left the lorry.
Bit scary when the police, after a number of shouted warnings, put a fierce looking German Shepherd into the container but when he came out he was still hungry!
Lorry driver was arrested, questioned and de arrested. SOCOs gave the container a brief once over and allowed us to offload before sending it away.

excitement over, back on your heads.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today, along with work and voluntary activities, we have been mostly training this little lady:
TrnU7M.jpg

This is Dora, the 9-week old retriever puppy.

We have been waiting more than two years to get a doggo. Could not be happier :)
Labrador retriever or Golden retriever?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
That's an Italian thing? I was raised with the traditional switching winter clothing for summer and vice versa:)
Italians make a big splurge of it. Parents drive miles to sort out their student kids' wardrobes.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today was a bit unusual in as much as we had a delivery to site that had come in from the continent and the driver told us he thought he had some stowaways on board.
The police were called, the container opened and one guy emerged. Very smartly dressed, lovely new trainers and considerate enough to wear a mask as he left the lorry.
Bit scary when the police, after a number of shouted warnings, put a fierce looking German Shepherd into the container but when he came out he was still hungry!
Lorry driver was arrested, questioned and de arrested. SOCOs gave the container a brief once over and allowed us to offload before sending it away.

excitement over, back on your heads.
Photo of the incident as it was evolving. We ended up with more police cars and vans…for one guy. He came out of the open container on the back of the lorry to the left of the photo.
I'm the one to the right in the exclusion zone with the yellow hi-vis, next to the three in orange.
B7A331A5-00AD-4600-A59C-5A86337DF854.jpeg

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Back from a three and a half hour wait at A & E to get my finger cleaned up (cut Friday) and antibiotics applied. Never seen so many young people in a room in London wearing masks (only some on their chin).

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been doing that Italian thing where you put away the summer clothes and bring out the winter ones.
I was in Israel one December where it is t-shirt weather even for me, in the day at least. I was on a bus and we went past some kids playing basketball. Bearing in mind that they were running around as well of course, and yet because the temperature had dropped to the arctic conditions of 18c or so, they were wearing heavy coats, scarves, trousers, boots, gloves and hats. Heaven knows how they'd survive here.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I had my right ear syringed for the first time in my life. I'm having noise-reducing ear protectors made and this needed to be done first.

And I was staggered at the icky glob of stuff that was suctioned out - deep brown in colour and like a squashed insect 2cm or so long. Arrghhhh!!!

I can see why that needed doing before the fitting. The other ear was absolutely find and dandy.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I had my right ear syringed for the first time in my life. I'm having noise-reducing ear protectors made and this needed to be done first.

And I was staggered at the icky glob of stuff that was suctioned out - deep brown in colour and like a squashed insect 2cm or so long. Arrghhhh!!!

I can see why that needed doing before the fitting. The other ear was absolutely find and dandy.
I was given some of those allegedly Hopi ear candles and would like to try them just to see what gunge they drag out. :)

It's supposed to be spectacular but sadly I've read that most of it is candle wax rather than ear-filth. :(

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I was given some of those allegedly Hopi ear candles and would like to try them just to see what gunge they drag out. :)

It's supposed to be spectacular but sadly I've read that most of it is candle wax rather than ear-filth. :(
A lit candle is one of last things I’d want in my ear & it couldn’t possibly suck wax out - it’s bollox. Olive oil or Otex is the diy way of softening wax which should then come out of it’s own accord. If not, get them syringed or sucked out with a vacuum device if you have delicate ears, but do the softening first.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A lit candle is one of last things I’d want in my ear & it couldn’t possibly suck wax out - it’s bollox. Olive oil or Otex is the diy way of softening wax which should then come out of it’s own accord. If not, get them syringed or sucked out with a vacuum device if you have delicate ears, but do the softening first.
I have no ear problems whatsoever but am deeply jealous of @cycleboy2 and his dragged-out ear-gunge.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Or let warm water run in when you're in the shower, and keep your head on one side for 10 seconds or so. Then let it run out.

If you do it every day you occasionally find a nice lump of wax drops out at random times.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Or let warm water run in when you're in the shower, and keep your head on one side for 10 seconds or so. Then let it run out.

If you do it every day you occasionally find a nice lump of wax drops out at random times.
I can see that working. I’ve got an ear I have to keep water out of so can’t do that.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
So the Kuga has had a full service today, so that's all fluids replaced, filters replaced, a blown fuse replaced.
Also found one of the front springs was broken! And the battery was only at about 50% of it's full effectiveness.
So I got those replaced too.
Nice to know I'm all good for the winter now.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I have no ear problems whatsoever but am deeply jealous of @cycleboy2 and his dragged-out ear-gunge.

My friend did Tough Mudder one year and found he'd gone almost deaf afterwards. He went to the doctor's, got the mud in his ears syringed out, and was right as rain. I suppose the clue was in the activity's name.