• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Is A 'Wind Phone'? Concept Helps Offer Comfort To Those Grieving Lost Loved Ones

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
I think this fits here. Vid at link.

A telephone for grief after the Japanese tsunami

In the small town of Otsuchi in northern Japan, 2,000 residents were lost in the tsunami in 2011.
One resident, who had already been grieving his cousin before the tsunami hit, had the idea of placing an old phone booth at the bottom of his garden with a disconnected rotary phone.

He would ring his cousin’s number and his words would "be carried on the wind" as he spoke to him.
After the tsunami hit, and word about the wind phone spread, many more people have come to Otsuchi in Iwate prefecture, to call those they have lost.

You can find out more about the wind phone by listening to the World Service's Heart and Soul programme.

Camera: Taiki Fujitani
Producer: Sarah Cuddon and Sophia Smith Galer

• 09 Jun 2019

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-48559139/a-telephone-for-grief-after-the-japanese-tsunami

I think this fits here. Vid at link.

In the small town of Otsuchi in northern Japan, 2,000 residents were lost in the tsunami in 2011.
One resident, who had already been grieving his cousin before the tsunami hit, had the idea of placing an old phone booth at the bottom of his garden with a disconnected rotary phone.

He would ring his cousin’s number and his words would "be carried on the wind" as he spoke to him.
After the tsunami hit, and word about the wind phone spread, many more people have come to Otsuchi in Iwate prefecture, to call those they have lost.

You can find out more about the wind phone by listening to the World Service's Heart and Soul programme.

Camera: Taiki Fujitani
Producer: Sarah Cuddon and Sophia Smith Galer

• 09 Jun 2019

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-48559139/a-telephone-for-grief-after-the-japanese-tsunami

That's so brilliant.

The Japanese phone inspired a man in Washington (state) to install a phone on a tree in a forested park for the same purpose.
Making phone calls to the departed

In a corner of the Pacific Northwest, muffled by moss and trees that are centuries-old, sits an out-of-place relic – a rotary phone that's connected to nothing, except the wind.

Every few weeks, Andre and Erin Sylvester and the rest of their young family trudge out to Priest Point Park, outside Olympia, Washington, to use that phone to call Joelle, their four-year-old daughter. Without warning, Joelle died last year from an infection.

But out here, Joelle is somehow there on the other end of the line. ...

The phone mysteriously appeared shortly after Joelle died, put here by photographer and amateur carpenter Corey Dembeck as his way to grieve. ...

"I just couldn't imagine if something like that happened to my daughter," Dembeck told correspondent Lee Cowan. "It was just something I had to do."

One of his own daughters was friends with Joelle – she's now five.

"I don't think I got, really got, how many people would really … really needed something like this," he said.

For weeks that phone was there, and few knew, but then word quietly spread. Soon, complete strangers were braving the Northwest rain, making the longest of long-distance calls. ...

It makes no logical sense, to dial a phone connected to nothing, and yet for the Sylvesters and countless others, speaking their grief to the wind seems to offer a certain kind of connection that heals.

Erin Sylvester said, "I think one of the most dangerous things that you can do to yourself is to keep your feelings, whatever they are, locked up inside. Something so simple, an old rotary phone on a tree, it's just crazy how much impact that that has." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/telephone-of-the-wind/

Nestled in a neighborhood in East Nashville, Tennessee, is a phone booth that no longer rings but offers a bit of respite to those grieving a lost loved one.

“There are things that you have left unsaid that you just really feel like you need to talk to them to say,” said Allison Young, a cancer research nurse at Vanderbilt University and the creator of Tennessee’s first “wind telephone.”

be71cf24768067183980ba7c146702d6

These disconnected phone booths, commonly called “wind phones,” have spread across the U.S. in recent years, popping up in several states and sometimes on peoples’ front lawns. But the origins of the “Phone of the Wind” can be found over 6,000 miles away in Ōtsuchi, Japan, according to MyWindPhone, an online resource for listing and locating wind phones.

Itaru Sasaki, the creator of the concept, purchased an old-fashioned phone booth and set it up in his garden after losing his cousin to cancer. While there were no wires connected to his “earthly system,” Sasaki said he felt a sense of connection to his cousin and found healing amid his grief.

The following year, in 2011, he welcomed other mourners to make “calls” to their deceased friends and relatives after a 9.1 magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami caused thousands of casualties in the area around Ōtsuchi.

https://news.yahoo.com/wind-phone-c...87Zdj2dWx6kkjr63Pkf_IQyYiADkquHS9mJLzNxqDgF6o

maximus otter

Perhaps a touch on the woo side but I get the point. Never heard of this before.

First seen in Japan in the wake of the 2011 Tsunami.

The "phone of the wind" is an unconnected phone booth built in 2011 by garden designer Itaru Sasaki, 76. It sits on a hillside with a breathtaking view of the calm Otsuchi shoreline and exists as a place for people from Otsuchi and other affected communities in northern Japan to come to seek solace and process their grief. Sasaki constructed the booth in his garden after the death of his cousin.

He told the Japan Times the phone booth has seen thousands of visitors over the last decade, including those who lost loved ones to suicide and illness.

Otsuchi, located on the Sanriku coast around 300 miles north of Tokyo, was devastated by the March 2011 tsunami and earthquake. It is estimated that around 10% of the town's population – around 1,285 people – died or went missing in the disaster.

Inside the phone booth are notes handwritten by visitors, along with framed poems. One reads:

"Who will you call, on the phone of the wind? When you hear the wind, speak to them from your heart. Tell them how you feel, and your thoughts will reach them."
https://www.insider.com/japans-tsunami-survivors-call-lost-loves-phone-of-the-wind-2021-3
1676103478298.png

Back