• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Is Hell Like?

I've just caught with it, now I am closer to it, but don't miss Boyle's Law applied to Hell twenty years ago, on this very thread! :omg:
:evillaugh::oops:

What is Hell like ?

Well, it's a sort of pale ale, isn't it ? Or a lager ?

Definitely not a stout. Far too light for that.

You can buy some here if you want to try it...

https://einsiedler.de/en/einsiedler-beer/#Hell

Your fun fact for the day. 'Hell' is just the German term for a sort of pale ale. Everyone here will be aware of the Austrian village with the unfortunate name of 'F*cking'. Well, it sounds unfortunate to English speakers, at least. So lots of English speaking tourists turned up at F*cking to take selfies at the sign at the entrance to town.

A local brewer cottoned on to the attraction, and decided to capitalise on it. So he produced a beer - and called it 'F*cking Hell'! Perfectly innocent in German - 'pale ale from the village of F*cking' - but it sold well to the tourists.

The ideal souvenir of your trip to the Continent.

What is Hell like ?

Well, it's a sort of pale ale, isn't it ? Or a lager ?

Definitely not a stout. Far too light for that.

You can buy some here if you want to try it...

https://einsiedler.de/en/einsiedler-beer/#Hell

Your fun fact for the day. 'Hell' is just the German term for a sort of pale ale. Everyone here will be aware of the Austrian village with the unfortunate name of 'F*cking'. Well, it sounds unfortunate to English speakers, at least. So lots of English speaking tourists turned up at F*cking to take selfies at the sign at the entrance to town.

A local brewer cottoned on to the attraction, and decided to capitalise on it. So he produced a beer - and called it 'F*cking Hell'! Perfectly innocent in German - 'pale ale from the village of F*cking' - but it sold well to the tourists.

The ideal souvenir of your trip to the Continent.
They changed the name to Fugging in 2021.

I heard the author Tobias Churton on a podcast earlier today explain that eternal damnation of the soul isn't a case of extending the period of damnation out of sadism, but rather that because the soul was believed to be eternal, any punishment that lasted less than eternity would not be an adequate one.

I may not have understood him correctly, but I think the gist of it is that Hell has to be as unpleasant and long-lasting as possible to be any sort of deterrent against doing bad stuff.

Have some Elizabethan theology, as described by Christopher Marlowe in his play The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus.

Faustus decides to sell his soul to the Devil in return for wisdom and riches. To this end he summons the demon Mephistophilis.

As a mere human, Faustus has little understanding of what's at stake. He can't grasp that, as Mephistophilis explains, Hell can be everywhere.

FAUSTUS. Where are you damn’d?
MEPHISTOPHILIS. In hell.
FAUSTUS. How comes it, then, that thou art out of hell?
MEPHISTOPHILIS Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it: Think’st thou that I, that saw the face of God, And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,
Am not tormented with ten thousand hells,
In being depriv’d of everlasting bliss?
O, Faustus, leave these frivolous demands, Which strike a terror to my fainting soul!

Mephistophilis has been banished from the presence of God. That's his Hell which he carries with him.
I love this play. :)

My idea of hell is actually filled with christians having "fun".

Imagine being doomed for eternity to listen to Cliff Richard's singing, watching Anne Widdecombe "dance" whilst contemplating Theresa May skipping through a wheat field.

Arguably, a least two of those aren't Christian (in regard to their public morality at least).

Last edited:
Hell is a pub that plays any sort of music all the time, and where most of the customers drink lager of any kind. The barman is a politician. With a Scouse accent.

maximus otter
100% Agree Max,.......and, Woodforde's NOG is constantly in a barrel behind the bar and never a guest ale.

Could also do with not having a pool table, to attract the Burberry baseball caps wearers an all.

Rant over..

Have some Elizabethan theology, as described by Christopher Marlowe in his play The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus.

Faustus decides to sell his soul to the Devil in return for wisdom and riches. To this end he summons the demon Mephistophilis.

As a mere human, Faustus has little understanding of what's at stake. He can't grasp that, as Mephistophilis explains, Hell can be everywhere.

FAUSTUS. Where are you damn’d?
MEPHISTOPHILIS. In hell.
FAUSTUS. How comes it, then, that thou art out of hell?
MEPHISTOPHILIS Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it: Think’st thou that I, that saw the face of God, And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,
O, Faustus, leave these frivolous demands, Which strike a terror to my fainting soul!

Mephistophilis has been banished from the presence of God. That's his Hell which he carries with him.
I love this play. :)
I was the Evil Angel when we performed this play at school, 60 plus years ago!

I never seen hell as the Christian interpretation.

I think hell is doing something you don’t want to do like go to the dentist.

I never seen hell as the Christian interpretation.

I think hell is doing something you don’t want to do like go to the dentist.
That must mean I'm already in Hell. I mean, I don't want to have to work, the weather is crap and I'm still poor (in spite of the paid work).

Hell is a pub that only sells Fosters and Cold Play is playing non stop. The barman is a failed farmer.
... and inbetween alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll yellow by Cold Play being played on repeat, people are reciting the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch and howling at each with forced laughter that's almost as painful as Del Boy falling through that bar opening with even worse "I know we've all watched this a thousand times but it only ever gets even funnier right guys?". Then more Fosters. Then Cold Play again.

Maybe it was the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits, or Night Gallery but an episode of being in hell was the person being forced to watch the same boring movie over and over.

So maybe hell is made specifically to that person, like a person hating spiders but being forced to be near spiders.

This is if you believe in hell.

Charliebrown: In the tv-series Lucifer, people who go to hell are also stuck in their own private hell loop, reliving their worst fears or moments again and again.

Does that kind of threat really add-up, logically? I mean:

* If the dead 'sinners' are generally aware - and also aware that they're being punished - then the punishment surely loses force, in terms of it being instructive; especially over time.

* If those dead are generally unaware - and also unaware that they're being punished for a reason - then any punishment is completely pointless...

...in which case, Hell may simply be the absence of meaning; something we all seek in the events of our lives.

Last edited:
* If the dead 'sinners' are generally aware - and also aware that they're being punished - then the punishment surely loses force, in terms of it being instructive; especially over time.

* If those dead are generally unaware - and also unaware that they're being punished for a reason - then any punishment is completely pointless...
This is how we can tell that the whole Hell farrago is manufactured to control the living rather than for dealing with immortal souls.

...in which case, Hell may simply be the absence of meaning; something we all seek in the events of our lives.
We're back to Mephistophilis, carrying a personal Hell around for all eternity in the form of banishment from the presence of God:
Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it: Think’st thou that I, that saw the face of God, And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,

It's all about the indoctrination.

I can't believe it's not butter that a genuine god would hold grudges. Nor make available the possibility and hope of redemption.

I can't believe it's not butter that a genuine god would hold grudges. Nor make available the possibility and hope of redemption.
Ah now a theologist would say that as you're only human, you cannot begin to grasp the mysteries of the Almighty. :thought:

That works for any question they can't answer. :chuckle:

Even that's a rubbish argument, despite appearances.

Back