• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
My family have various people to ask. I always ask Walter, who was a distant relation by marriage of ours and haunts his old home, where my parents now live!

On Thursday I needed my copy of the 'Malleus Maleficarum' and after turning my bedroom upside down admitted defeat and asked out loud, 'Walter, can I have my book, please?'- and there it was, spine-up, down the side of my bed, right in front of my eyes. I did of course thank him.

The Viz 'Top Tips' page suggests tying all your possessions to a long, long piece of string, and when you lose something, feeling along it until you find it again.

Works for me.

Pinklefish said:
...I've found it works if you just go "St. Anthony of Padua, can I have my stuff back please? Cheers".

Works for believers and non-believers, alike. Why? I have no idea.

I believe I mentioned this before, but my husband and I assume that there's a very unusual (and big) second-hand shop somewhere in Padua, Italy.

I usually empty my mind and walk about aimlessly...and bump into or my put hand on the lost object!
Occasionally, I get pissed off if that doesn't work, and say 'Right! That's it! Give me my .....' and it turns up within a few minutes...:)

Let's See, I was Making Spaghetti Sauce and I Went Through T

Spooky angel said:
Retracing my steps always helps me to find things. I usually left said object somewhere along my path!
This is a well tried and trusted method, with me.

It even works with small children when they mislay their favourite cuddly toy!

"When did you last see your teddy?"

The trick is, to start off from where you know you had what ever it was, last. And then work forwards...

The reason I brought this up was a certain CD-ROM went missing. I don't know exactly when I lost it, so I can't really retrace steps. I suspect it may have been accidentally thrown away.

Still no sign of it yet. Still, I've got a replacement now.

Thanks for replying to my thread however, everyone! Some things there to bear in mind in the future.

Darrenxyz said:
The reason I brought this up was a certain CD-ROM went missing. I don't know exactly when I lost it, so I can't really retrace steps. I suspect it may have been accidentally thrown away.

Still no sign of it yet. Still, I've got a replacement now.

Thanks for replying to my thread however, everyone! Some things there to bear in mind in the future.
What about down the back of, or underneath your computer/desk?

They are very thin.:)

Tried that; I only posted after I'd already searched everything several times and given up. I was looking for a way to avoid this kind of thing in the future!

Oddly enough I was looking for a mains adaptor for a scanner today, and cos I needed it quickly I decided to try the asking-the-fairies thing on the spur of the moment. And guess what, when I looked on the table across the room, there it was, among a load of other junk I'd left on there. :) I did say thanks, btw!

You reminded me of something I lost - my Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas soundtrack CD.

I'll try asking for it...

slitely off track here:-

(1) why is it when you want somethink eg a book its always at the bottem, at the back even thow you put it away only days earlyer

(2) does anyone remember this senario:-
when you were younger (oh the good ol days:D ) your bedroom wasnt tidy and your parent (usually your mam) told you to tidy your room and you replied "but i know were everythink is" so she says "find so-so" and u could in about 10-30 secs
but you went to school when you got back your room was tidy and the result was you couldnt a find bloody think :( (why do parents do that????)

Darrenxyz said:
The reason I brought this up was a certain CD-ROM went missing.

It is inside another CD case, (2 CDs in one case) but it was not you who put the CD in that case. Do you have a brother?

Don't ask me why I said that but I got the strangest, strongest feeling that some male person close to you put the CD inside a case with another CD. Something you don't listen to very often, maybe?

Okay, I'm freaking myself out now. I've already got my coat....

Nope, I don't have a brother!

I'll check to see if it got stuck in with some music CDs though.

Into thin air

Has anyone ever noticed how sometimes, and somehow, a valued and well used possession can seemingly vanish, literally, into thin air?

I have turned my room upside down looking for my favourite cd, which I damn well KNOW was on top of my stereo, only for it to disappear while I was work.

Neither housemate has it, as they think it's rubbish. It's not in my CD walkman (it's second home). It is absolutely -nowhere- to be seen.

I recall this happening with a brilliant bouncy ball I had when I was little, and also my favourite 'world time' watch at around the same age. I bounced the ball in the lounge, and it went behind the settee. It was never seen again... Likewise with my watch. I took it off and left it by my bed, went to school, came back and couldn't find it anywhere. Neither item was ever unearthed.

I wonder if there's a special 'treasured item' goblin who follows you around all your life, committing such heinous acts? :(

I wonder if there's a special 'treasured item' goblin who follows you around all your life, committing such heinous acts?

Yes I'm sure there is, but in my case he returns them after I spend a fortune replacing them.:hmph:

Hm, let's see. . .

It's your favourite CD and your housemates can't stand it . . .

It's your favourite bouncy ball. It gets bounced in the lounge and
then goes AWOL. Did anyone help you look behind that sofa?

The watch was probably the goblin. :p

Ah no.. there is/was no external influence in these 'vanishings'. There would be much panning in of heads if anything was to be 'borrowed with no intention of returning' from my room ;)

As regards the other stuff, I hunted high and low. I wasn't so young that I couldn't look for stuff in a sensible way, although saying that, I did enlist the help of my parents, who were equally as baffled!

It's that sneaky goblin I tells ya! :eek:

There ws a thread about this a while ago. You have to ask the boggarts for the item to be returned, or something like that. It never worked for me.

I was fixing one of those metal thingies on the end of a tv aerial cable once (so it can be plugged into the tv) and dropped it-I watched it fall,hit the carpet and vanish.It didn't bounce or roll,there was nothing for it to have rolled behind anyway,the floor was clear.I looked for ages and never found it.I had to go out and buy another one! Thats not the only time that sort of thing has happened to me too! My mother has had things vanish in her house and has seen them reappear just within her vision (in places she knows the object was not just a moment before) So I guess it is possible to witness this sort of thing.

........... and why is it these things always turn up in the first place you looked, usually by accident whilst looking for something else ?

Gremlins out to get me!

I've had a quite strange past couple of days, quite strange and very infuriating. I won't go into a huge amount of detail, but things have been going missing and going wrong with a regularity that's beginning to freak me out a little bit e.g.

1. My back door has mysteriously locked itself. It has two locks, and the lock that has "locked itself" is the one I don't even have a key for.

2. My belt yesterday morning. Since my trousers fall down without it, I turned the place upside down looking for it, being late for work as well. I even looked in my bag for some reason. Nothing. Later, when I got off the tube, I opened my bag to put a book back in and there was...my belt.

3. Keys and pens keep moving around!!!

These are three specific examples - there have been lots of other minor nuisances that are too vague and minor to list.

My question is: am I developing early signs of senile dementia or have I got a bunch of unruly spirits in my flat who think I'm an arse and like winding me up?

If it's the latter, is there any way of getting rid of them?

Back