• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pete Younger

Venerable and Missed
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
ASK THE FAIRIES

Has any one heard of the expresion " ASK THE FAIRIES" apparently if you have lost something you say out loud, please fairies where is it, the next time you look you will find whatever it was you had lost.
I know it sounds stupid but I have tried it and it worked.
Has anyone else tried it?

Does it work with car keys, I'm always losing mine:)

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Carole

Re: ASK THE FAIRIES

p.younger said:
Has any one heard of the expresion " ASK THE FAIRIES" apparently if you have lost something you say out loud, please fairies where is it, the next time you look you will find whatever it was you had lost.
I know it sounds stupid but I have tried it and it worked.
Has anyone else tried it?

I've always thought this is a bit dodgy. On the one had you could be asking a favour of your 'household spirits' which seems relatively safe. On the other hand you could be asking Satan. Which would be bad - what would he want in return.

Cujo :D

WORRIED

Now you have me worried, I just missplaced my glasses asked the fairies and hey presto found them. do you think I just lost my sole?.

Re: WORRIED

p.younger said:
Now you have me worried, I just missplaced my glasses asked the fairies and hey presto found them. do you think I just lost my sole?.

:D Bwhahahah!!! My work here is done.

But seriously. No I doubt you've lost your sole unless you signed it away. Of course your glasses could be cursed.

Stand by for detail's of poltergeist activity centered around p.youngers glasses.;)

Cujo

Funny you should say that because just today.......zzzzzzzzz

Ask the fairies ?

I heard this one a while back, but the creatures concerned were called Inky Bloaters. If you lost a sock, hairbrush or whatever, like you said, just ask them nicely, and the lost item would appear ( as if by magic ) at some later stage.

I think I got this from a Danniele Dax album. Inky Bloaters - they're a consequence of never being sure - or something like that.

Moggadon

it's all true. ask them to return something and they will. if they want, sometimes they just nick stuff cos they can it's a very faery thing to just varnish stuff.
fear not mortals, the devil does not have your soul, or your glasses, he's a christian superstition to keep the plebs in line, pay attention. fae on the other hand are very real.
Quill, faery champion

I believe in them :D I supposedly saw them when I was a little kid (I say supposedly cos even the I remember saying I could see them I can`t remember actually seeing them)

lucydru

Do the fairies have a sock fetish?
I'll give it ago, trying to find an old CD that I want hear again...

sox

oh sure faeries have a sock fetish. somewhere there's a big big ball of sox waiting for the man from the guiness book of records to stop by. i used to work as a customer advisor for 'a washing machine company' and had a little old lady *bless* ring up and ask me where her socks kept going to. we chatted and i found out all about her grandson *bless* and told her i thought she must have faeries in her washer and that her particular model was especialy well know for attracting them.
Quill, who'll tell you anything

ps there's lots of faeries in Wales i discovered recently

i'm a christian, it might go against my faith but... i'll give it a go, i'm itchen to get back my ac adapter for my cd player
i'll post the findings

Quill said:
...... it's a very faery thing to just varnish stuff.

Do they strip it first? cos I've got a mandolin with a knackered finish that needs re-done, and I certainly wouldn't mind leaving a saucer of milk out, or whatever! ;)

:D This proves my theory that there is a proportional relationship between thread length and sillyness.

There was a letter in FT a few months ago that claimed asking Satan instead of the fairys could get you stuff that you hadn't even lost.

I don't know about faeries, but I know that in my culture, mischievous djinn are blamed for strange and lost things. Usually by asking them (nicely!!) for whatever it is you've lost, they'll return it to you. Could djinn and faerie be related somehow? ;)

Re the earlier post about car keys.

Someone in our office took their car to the garage to be serviced.
A few hours later they rang back to say they hadn't got the keys.
The person who left them knew he had given them to the mechanic. Phone calls went back and forth for 2 hours or so, when I suggested that he ask the Pixies for the keys back. After much mickey taking and another phone call from the garage, he asked them for the keys in desperation. Within 2 minutes of this the garage rang to say the keys were right in front of him.

Asking the Fairies: Varia on a Theme

I have many books on the lore of the Good Folk--it is Politically Incorrect to call them "Fairies" or "Faeries"--they are Royalty and should be spoken of obliquely if you must talk about them.

I have tried "asking the Good Folk" to return lost objects with great success. Since I am usually furious at the time, I tend not to be polite. Swearing at Them and threatening to thoroughly sweep the room if the little B******* don't return the lost object(s) is just as effective as asking politely, although it is not recommended when people are in earshot.

If you are one of those Silly Christians who have qualms about dealing with the Good Folk for fear of dealing with the Devil (how do people like you pray if you'r so paranoid?) then I suggest you ask your Guardian Angel to find the lost object(s) for you. Works just a well.

For that matter, you could hold a seance and ask your deceased buddy Rover. Canadian Prime Minister Wm. Lyon Mackenzie-King asked his mother and a favourite dog for political advice (both having passed on to the Great Beyond) and was one of the country's most successful and longest governing PM's.

Personally, I don't think it much matters whether you ask God, the Devil, the Wee Folk, your Guardian Angel, or your imaginary friend. The effect is purely psychological (or is it? who knows?). You give up looking, then you remember. Works a charm.

Here is a true Asking the Fairies story: I misplaced my shoehorn, which has a two-foot long handle. I asked the fairies (actually threatened them with a broom) and went out to cool off. When I returned after a few minutes Walkman time, the shoehorn was on my chair, which I had "searched" twice. Being more than two feet long, it was sticking out under both arms, in plain sight.

You can see why "asking the fairies" (or prayer) has caught on. Even an atheist can appreciate the value of something that works, even if it is impossible.

My point is you don't have to believe in the entity to whom you are addressing your prayers or curses in order to experience the beneficial effect of giving up the search. You can call it Magick (please, please don't), or you can call it psychology (yawn!), or you can call it Satan Worship (Ye Foolishe Christians--the Devil just wants you to think he answers all the prayers your God doesn't, because HE knows that a Duopoly is almost as good as a Monopoly--you would know that Deceit if you voted in a Two Party System!), but it works, so damn you and all of your gods!

Do I believe in fairies? Don't be silly. I am a Fortean. I don't even believe Charles Fort half the time. You can never tell when that man is joking.

As for finding anything about the quaint custom of asking the fairies on the WWW, I hope you have better luck than I did. Page after page of Dungeons & Dragon-type twaddle.

By the way, if some earlier posters read this far, the Devil is interested in acquiring your "soul". Your "sole" is of little use to him, unless he needs a fish course or has a shoe to cobble.

In addition to my books on folklore, I have a book entitle HOW TO FIND LOST OBJECTS which advises: Remember the Three C's: Remain Cool, Calm, and Collected.

Well, buggrit. I am anything but. Here is the webpage for
HOW TO FIND LOST OBJECTS:

http://www.professorsolomon.com/

EXCERPT from Dr. Solomon's webpage:

"The Twelve Principles are:

1. Don’t Look for It; 2. It’s Not Lost—You Are; 3. Remember the Three C’s; 4. It’s Where It’s Supposed to Be; 5. Domestic Drift; 6. You’re Looking Right at It; 7. The Camouflage Effect; 8. Think Back; 9. Look Once, Look Well; 10. The Eureka Zone; 11. Tail Thyself; 12. It Wasn’t You".

Dear me, I am verbose today. I think I will go and have a good lie down and wait for it to pass.

Fortean Moral: Impossible things happen with depressing regularity. Inevitable things fail to happen just as regularly, and just as depressingly.

Fortean Moral for Statisticians: The probability of any given event, E, is between 0 and 1, but never exactly zero or one.

Fig. 1 Probability Continuum for a Fortean Universe

O- - - - - -O

Well, that just about explains Life, the Universe and Everything.

Faeries

This is starting to creep me out, because I was looking for a road map and was having trouble findin it. I thought I should give it a try, so I asked the faeries. Sure enough, it worked! Then before I went to sleep, I asked the faeries for a good sleep and good
dreams---that also came true! I read something about a place in Scotland in FT where there is this big hill or something with a big tree right on the top that resembles something out of a fairytale. This was the setting for a book about faeries where they supposedly live in this big hill. The strange thing is, they guy who wrote the bokk mysteriously dissappeared! Maybe he went to live with the faeries?!?!?

Packing Boggarts

I know this subject has been covered before but...

I'm moving house right now. I make and generally collect costumes and I've been clearing out a bunch of them to go to a charity shop. I put them in a pile for my housemate to go through and decide if she wants any. The pile was in the living room. All the rest of my packing was upstairs in my bedroom.

About half of the costumes have dissapeared. Flatmate #1 says she hasn't touched them and I believe her. Flatmate #2 is a six foot tall bloke who's in Bristol right now. These are historical costumes, they're huge wodges of material, where the hell did they go?

I'm beginning to think I may be clothing faeries...

Anyhow, back to the boxes.

If u find my green Che Guevara t-shirt and all my belts you can have the silver mantle of Aneurin back.

My boggarts on a fork binge at the moment.Its really starting to bug me.

Strange that the boggarts have been at your stuff pre-move. You should whisper into the fireplace that you are moving and stuff, but they don't usually mess with your gear unless it's in transit.

is a boggart like a borrower then?

cas

if the belongings are messed with in transit i wouldnt suspect some fortean explanation before i suspected the delivery guys

casio said:
is a boggart like a borrower then?

cas .....
Down here there usually unemployed knockers. There was one that hang round for ages until they got serious about re-opening South Crofty.

No, Cas, borrowers take things for their own use and you never get them back. They go for smaller items anyway.

Carole

Sounds a bit like some offices where they get 'smurfing', carole!!!

Small items constantly disappearing, probably into staff pockets and bags.

The allusion is towards those old smurf cartoons, which often featured a long line of smurfs, each with a small item on his or her head!!!!

well this week i lost my bankcard i know i had it when i entered the flat and then the next morning its gone, i live on my own. i even went through the bin looking for it. now lots of people think i am always losing stuff like this but i dont lose things they just disappear. this card is issue 17. is that some sort of record?

when i moved flat i lost the keys to the old flat, i have never found them, i have lost 2 mobile phones, numerous cheque books . i think praps maybe in some way i have upset the boggarts if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it

While everyone's looking around, try to find my TV remote...

Back