• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Lurks Beneath Our Houses?

WilhelmJ1

Just a Guy
Hey guys. Last year, I had a really frightening incident. I felt it was of great significance to share this experience for my own well being. First, let me explain where and when this happened.
About a year ago, I had a job working for pest control in Florida. I was asked to do an under house inspection (There were suspicions that ants were crawling through the floorboards.) The next thing you know I was under a house with a flashlight in one hand a notepad in the other, looking for anything that looked suspiciously like an ant nest. I don’t remember spotting any, and so I turned around to exit the crawlspace. I was making my way back toward the light of the opening and heard a noise behind me. (God, this sounds cliche). I suddenly turned my head to see what it was. The noise sort of sounded like a water droplet, but after reassuring myself I turned back around and stopped. The entrance was gone. Everything was dark in front of me. I then slowly reached for my flashlight, which was lying on the ground, pointing behind me (I thought I didn’t need it for guidance toward the bright entrance light). Before I could turn my flashlight to where the entrance was, the entrance reappeared. It came to light from one side to the other, as if something in front of it moved out of the way. I was genuinely freaked out and quickly crawled out of the crawlspace, told my customer of what bugs I had found (none), and went home.
It was the next day - same customer, calling in complaining they had seen a line of ants crawling out of the entrance of the crawlspace. So I went back again to inspect. This time, I was sure to check my surroundings at all times. I was doing my business, looking around at small cracks and holes when I realized something was in front of me. I could feel its essence and also see a dark figure kneeling. And then I turned my flashlight up. I wish I never did. There was a humanoid figure in front of me (about 10 feet away); very pale and staring to the right. I held my breath and tried not to scream. I didn’t really look at the body, but I could clearly see its head. It had huge eyes and was frowning to, the right. One thing that struck me were its wires. The creature possessed short wires sticking from its ears, ending at about 3 inches.
This was the scariest moment of my life. Can you imagine? These were the sort of things I had nightmares about when I was a kid! What a peculiar, frightening, and exhilarating moment at the same time. Anyway, I closed my eyes like a baby and slowly started crawling backward. When I thought I was far enough away, I pointed my flashlight back in front of me and squinted. It was still there. Just staring. I scrambled out the exit / entrance, told the customer what I had seen, and went home. Thankfully my customer was understanding, reassuring me it was only a hallucination and they won’t worry about it. I have thought about letting people know (locally), but I have decided to ultimately keep this general to myself..
Well--yeah. That is what happened those few days. I contacted the customer every once in a while, to make sure he’s safe. We're actually good friends now. It's pretty scary knowing that perhaps these things do exist (or thinking they do). I have moved since this experience and have never run into anything this interesting again. You don’t have to believe me; I just wanted to get this experience out there. Feel free to tell me your thoughts. Thank you for reading this far and bye.

Can you describe the creature in more detail please?

Shape of head?
Size, shape and colour of eyes?
Colour of skin?
The wires - like bare metal copper wires or insulated electrical wires?
Was it breathing/making any noise at all?
Could it have been a discarded halloween decoration or statue?

etc etc

Last edited:
There appears to be clues in your description. If you mean wires literally - as opposed to wire-like protrusions - then it was not biological; its not entirely clear and i may be reading too much between the lines but it at least sounds like you may be saying it remained looking to one side and hadn't moved when you shone the torch a second time - is that right? - if so then we can also say it was immobile. Additional description may do away with the suggestion completely but on the surface those two things would suggest it was a prop rather than a creature. The owner's excuse for calling you back when you had found no ants the day before and their casual reaction to your experience are also suggestive...as in could they have been deliberately playing a trick on you?

Maybe it was an escapee from the 'Screaming Monkey Medical Research Center'?
The wires are probably electrodes.

Interesting that the owner didn't seem to be worried about the prospect of having strange entities under his house. If it was a discarded humanoid model why would he put it under the floor rather than in the attic (which is where I put mine), and why didn't you see it in that position the first time you went under? I suppose if you wanted a scientifically acceptable explanation it might be that you were entranced by the field from electric cables running near your head, but I think humanoids are more interesting.

Did the creature move at all? Or was it always frozen in position?

Did the creature move at all? Or was it always frozen in position?
I'm pretty sure it didn't move at all. At least I think so. This leads me to believe it was perhaps a trick done by the customer...? However, this does not explain what had moved and blocked the exit. Strange. Maybe it was something else, a small mammal?

What do you mean by "frowning to the right"? Not sure I can picture that.

What do you mean by "frowning to the right"? Not sure I can picture that.
It possessed an expression resembling a frown. And it was staring to my right. Not sure what it was staring at..

It possessed an expression resembling a frown. And it was staring to my right. Not sure what it was staring at..

Ah, OK, I was imagining some kind of facial contortion! Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the man under the house from Stephen King's IT!

As I said earlier, can you tell us more about what you saw?
Can you describe the creature in more detail please?

Shape of head?
Size, shape and colour of eyes?
Colour of skin?
The wires - like bare metal copper wires or insulated electrical wires?
Was it breathing/making any noise at all?
Could it have been a discarded halloween decoration or statue?

etc etc

As I said earlier, can you tell us more about what you saw?
Sure thing, Ringo.
1) Circlish.........? I think so. It didn't have any hair. Don't exactly remember a lot. Maybe it's just my imagination.
2) The only thing I recall about the eyes is they were big and round.
4) The skin color was grey. The creature itself was significantly smaller than me, perhaps so to be able to survive in the small area.
5) The things sticking out of the head looked like thick wires. The fact that these things had little smaller things that poked out at the ends leads me to firmly believe that they were wires. Just search electrical wires and go to images
6) I don't remember it breathing or moving. But it did seem real as far as I could tell. It didn't look plastic (I think).
7) Maybe. But why on earth under someone's house!?

The creature was definitely humanoid. I would have loved to share more info, but unfortunately I didn't take the time to examine the creature with a magnifying glass.

Attachments

• 1558637745637.png
    1558637745637.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 13
Sure thing, Ringo.
1) Circlish.........? I think so. It didn't have any hair. Don't exactly remember a lot. Maybe it's just my imagination.
2) The only thing I recall about the eyes is they were big and round.
4) The skin color was grey. The creature itself was significantly smaller than me, perhaps so to be able to survive in the small area.
5) The things sticking out of the head looked like thick wires. The fact that these things had little smaller things that poked out at the ends leads me to firmly believe that they were wires. Just search electrical wires and go to images
6) I don't remember it breathing or moving. But it did seem real as far as I could tell. It didn't look plastic (I think).
7) Maybe. But why on earth under someone's house!?

The creature was definitely humanoid. I would have loved to share more info, but unfortunately I didn't take the time to examine the creature with a magnifying glass.

Thanks for more info. I'm just trying to get a feel for it. So it was crouched, looking to the right. As in, looking to your immediate right or it was facing away to the right, at 90 degress to you?

Point 7: I have heard many stories of weird things being found under porches and crawl spaces. We have on this board (I think) seen or heard a prank about somebody burying a plastic skeleton under the house for the next owners to discover. I can quite well imagine a previous resident storing/dumping stuff in a crawl space.

Point 5 above: Insulated/electrical wires suggest a man-made object - either animatronic or with in-built electrical parts which to me suggests a model or doll of some sort.

I understand that you didn't examine it with a magnifying glass yet if you have seen something that unusual and terrifying then I expect the image to be burned into your memory. Once, while looking through binoculars, I saw a Goblin hiding in a bush. It turned out to be a tree stump. This was over 30 years ago but I can still describe the shape of the face, wrinkles, eyes and mouth in detail.

But I can recognise your terror. I felt my stomach drop and the icy fingers of fear up and down my spine when I saw my "goblin".

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. I was just wondering, when you told the customer what you saw, did they just immediately brush it off or did they go and have a look around for themselves?
I dont know what kind of person, on being told that there was a strange frowning humanoid creature creeping around under their house, wouldn't at least go and check. How can they sleep at night?

Having seen it & told the owner, I'm wondering why you didn't both go back straight away to have another look?

If I were in the same position as home owner & you told me this, I'd be out there with you pronto having a look.

I suppose I'm saying it could be a prank by the house owner who'd left a mannequin down there to shit the unwary.. Wires out of ears sounds suspicious. Why wouldn't you investigate something like that if it were under your house? You didn't find any ants either so nothing 'pest wise'.

If it was in the Crawlspace, I assume it was also crawling. If so, how did you estimate it's height?

Back