• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Lurks Beneath Our Houses?

I think the owner's reaction seems odd, to tell you you were hallucinating. A prank, I'd think.
It does. The most unbelievable part to me of most fictional supernatural stories is just how far the narrative is allowed to proceed. Someone posted here once about people who experienced furniture moving in the basement of a holiday rental as they sat down to their first meal. There was no "oh let's investigate"; everyone packed up picked up the car keys and left. Which I find very realistic. I find the chairs piled in a pyramid in the kitchen, I'm out of there. Because who knows what they will pile where next. In this case, the only real owner reaction is "good god someone's down there I'm calling the police (or the exterminators)" or "oh drat that's the neighbor's dog again." Anything else is unrealistic and very suspicious.

It does. The most unbelievable part to me of most fictional supernatural stories is just how far the narrative is allowed to proceed. Someone posted here once about people who experienced furniture moving in the basement of a holiday rental as they sat down to their first meal. There was no "oh let's investigate"; everyone packed up picked up the car keys and left. Which I find very realistic. I find the chairs piled in a pyramid in the kitchen, I'm out of there. Because who knows what they will pile where next. In this case, the only real owner reaction is "good god someone's down there I'm calling the police (or the exterminators)" or "oh drat that's the neighbor's dog again." Anything else is unrealistic and very suspicious.
Perhaps it was a prank. Or maybe he just let it off. How crazy would I sound if I told you some humanoid monster creature with wires sticking out of its head was living under your house? Unless you are a hardcore believer or some cryptozoologist, you would think I'm crazy (right?). Just think about it for a minute.

If it was in the Crawlspace, I assume it was also crawling. If so, how did you estimate it's height?
Yes, but trust me, you can tell if something's significantly smaller than you. Also, the crawlspace I was in was not tall, therefore it was incredibly hard if not impossible to kneel if you're my size.

Perhaps it was a prank. Or maybe he just let it off. How crazy would I sound if I told you some humanoid monster creature with wires sticking out of its head was living under your house? Unless you are a hardcore believer or some cryptozoologist, you would think I'm crazy (right?). Just think about it for a minute.
Having had many of my reactions dismissed in similar ways, it seems very possible that the owner's response was just amused condescension. It's especially likely in situations where the person believes you're not very intelligent, which is sometimes the case when you're blue collar and the other person is from a more privileged economic class, or your gender or skin color is different. Which is not to say that it is not always the case. I also think it's possible it was a prank, or there was something forgotten under the house that he wasn't aware of.

so of the two visits, can you say if it was definitely not there the first time, or did you not inspect that part of the area ?

I'm wondering if perhaps what you saw was some sort or mammal (raccoon, bear, even escaped pet/zoo monkey, etc.) with a medical condition or disease that had caused it to lose it's hair. These 'naked' animals can look quite strange, particularly if they're encountered unexpectedly. I found some example photos at the following link:

https://www.boredpanda.com/hairless-bald-animals/

Back