What Music?

Brown_Forever

Devoted Cultist
How come the 'What Music?' thread is currently locked?

I know there's been a lot of recent discussion about Hillage/Daevid Allen/Gong (and I admitted to an enduring affection for Fairport Convention) but this is going a bit far, surely?

Come on Mods, explain yourselves!

PB (while 'Liege and Lief' once more plays in the background)

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
I locked it cos it was well over the 1500 posts (anything more than this and the auto-delete goes into a spasm) I was waiting for someone to notice it and start a new thread ;)

I've edited your OP so you can now carry on as it were, new thread and all that.

luvpixie

Junior Acolyte
Corr!
I`m everso glad this thread re-opened,because I just wanted to ask the Gong family friends if they`d checked out the University of Errors site,or the official Gong website?...............because we are not alone. :lol:

Cavynaut

Justified & Ancient
At the moment I'm listening to anything by Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things and early Hawkwind.

Seems like that entire hippy/early punk crossover is about the only genre that hasn't been mined to buggery in the last few years by spotty media students.

Hmmm....at the tender age of 48, should I put an advert in the local instrument shop and blow the cobwebs off the strat.....? :lol:

gerardwilkie

Abominable Snowman
Just listened to an advance copy of the new Rammstein album , Rosenrot. It's not been released yet , but is probably one of the best albums so far this year . Opening track Benzin is a killer .

disgruntledgoth

Devoted Cultist
Cavynaut said:
Hmmm....at the tender age of 48, should I put an advert in the local instrument shop and blow the cobwebs off the strat.....? :lol:
In a word, YES. Get a big Marshal amp and make that guitar wail, and severely annoy anyone living in the street.

Rubyait

Justified & Ancient
Saw the subways last week in Oxford and they were pretty good live. I haven't had a manic jump around session like that in ages! :yeay:

Redhead666

Devoted Cultist
It amazes me how you can have these musicians ( I am assuming in the UK) that people across the Atlantic Ocean have never heard of.

I have never in my life heard of Hillage, Daevid Allen/Gong, Fairport Convention, mudvayne, Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things, Hawkwind, Mew, Glass Handed Kites, or Rammstein.
:shock:

Brown_Forever

Devoted Cultist
Mudvayne are from the US, and that's about as much as I know about them.

No doubt all will be made clear at www.mudvayne.com , if you are prepared to put up with the "interesting" site navigation, which I wasn't.

Fairport Convention? Folk Rock group formed in 1967 (I think) by Richard Thompson et al. Vocalist most associated with the group is Sandy Denny (died 1978), who duetted 'The Battle of Evermore' with Robert Plant on Led Zeppelin's fourth album. Fairport have released zillions of albums since then, but my favourite remains their fourth, 'Liege and Lief' from 1969. Think the current incarnation of the group still undertakes the occasional North American tour.

I take it you've heard of Rush? ;)

PB

A

Anonymous

Brown_Forever said:
Fairport Convention? Folk Rock group formed in 1967 (I think) by Richard Thompson et al. Vocalist most associated with the group is Sandy Denny (died 1978), who duetted 'The Battle of Evermore' with Robert Plant on Led Zeppelin's fourth album. Fairport have released zillions of albums since then, but my favourite remains their fourth, 'Liege and Lief' from 1969. Think the current incarnation of the group still undertakes the occasional North American tour.

PB
Which has just prompted me to dig out my Fairport and Sandy albums. I second the view that 'Liege and Lief' is their best - I never get bored of their version of Matty Groves.

Before that I was listening to the Monkees boxset 'Listen to the Band' and digging - as the youth might say - the country/Byrds stuff. Gotta love Woolhat for that.

A

Anonymous

Redhead666 said:
Daevid Allen/Gong,
I've an acquaintance, who was later diagnosed as schizophrenic, who claimed that Allen was sending him telepathic messages telling him to take up the bass guitar, practice and join the band at a specific date in the future.

He bought a second bass and practiced, often as much as 18 hours a day just waiting for the specified day. Sadly, his delusions also developed and he started claiming to hear messages in Gong/Allen tracks that were aimed at him.

The day eventually came and he travelled south to find Allen who told him he was mistaken. Cognitive dissonance followed, delusions toppled and the bloke had a breakdown.

Who said the drugs don't work?

johnnyboy1968

Ephemeral Spectre
Cavynaut said:
At the moment I'm listening to anything by Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things and early Hawkwind.

Seems like that entire hippy/early punk crossover is about the only genre that hasn't been mined to buggery in the last few years by spotty media students.
Ah, you're a man after my own heart, Cavy! In fact, at this precise moment I've got Space Ritual playing at extreme volume (sometimes, living in a shed on a hill can have its advantages - no neighbours to annoy!) Bone-crunching riffs, mad electronic burbling and bonkers space poems from yer man Calvert - bliss! It's funny how they were much-slagged off by "serious" music fans at the time for like, not being able to play their instruments really well, man, but nowadays they sound a lot less dated than the likes of Yes and ELP!

I'm a big fan of the Pretties too, just about anything which broadly comes under the 'Freakbeat' umbrella. SF Sorrow is one of the most underrated and unsung albums of all time, IMO - it's got more than a few things in common with the Who's later Tommy, but don't suggest as such to Pete Townshend (still touchy about that, if Phil May is to be believed.) It's also got the advantage of having to tell its story in half the time, so there's no filler and throwaway linking tracks. I love the Who too (in fact, they're probabably my favourite band) but I still think that Sorrow outdoes Tommy, musically and conceptually!

Diabolik8

Ephemeral Spectre
Redhead666 said:
It amazes me how you can have these musicians ( I am assuming in the UK) that people across the Atlantic Ocean have never heard of.

I have never in my life heard of Hillage, Daevid Allen/Gong, Fairport Convention, mudvayne, Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things, Hawkwind, Mew, Glass Handed Kites, or Rammstein.
:shock:
No Redhead, "And the Glass Handed Kites" is an album by Mew. ;)

Brown_Forever

Devoted Cultist
Which reminds me, I must finally get around to buying Attack of the Grey Lantern one of these days - top album.

Whatever happened to Mansun?

PB (not listening to anything at the moment 'cos he's in work)

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
Sadly they are no more but I think some of the band members are now off doing individual projects. They released a box set last year which I still need to get around to tracking down but I agree AotGL is a great album as is Six (Legacy and Being a Girl are great tracks) but Little Kix was a little bit of a let down.

Currently listening to Doves- Snowden

sunsplash1

Justified & Ancient
Cavynaut said:

HawkwinD Yes, unsung, unheralded and largely unknown. Sad really...

Dust off that Strat, Sir. And play!

:D

gridban

Devoted Cultist
nothing right now 'cos I'm at work, but last night listened to/watched the Flaming Lips "V.O.I.D." dvd, fabulous! :D

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Sandie Shaw - the "Reviewing the Situation" album. Fab and groovy, and yes, that is the song from the musical Oliver! as the title track. Her version of "Sympathy for the Devil" has to be heard to be believed.

Cavynaut

Justified & Ancient
johnnyboy1968 said:
I love the Who too (in fact, they're probabably my favourite band) but I still think that Sorrow outdoes Tommy, musically and conceptually!
Couldn't agree more. I first heard S.F.Sorrow when I bought it and Parachute as a double in the late 70's. Brilliant stuff. Completely outdoes Tommy.

Funny thing is, I'd almost forgotten about it until a friend on another forum started asking me to recommend some concept albums. I thought of Tommy first and then S.F.Sorrow sprang to the forefront of my head. I did a quick google, found it on CD, ordered it and am currently salivating with the prospect of listening to 'Old Man Going' and 'Loneliest Person' once again. I've got it on vinyl, still, but no deck. :cry:

Cavynaut

Justified & Ancient
sunsplash1 said:
HawkwinD Yes, unsung, unheralded and largely unknown. Sad really...

Dust off that Strat, Sir. And play!

:D
I sincerely believe that without the Hawks there would never have been the punk revolution. Television, the Dolls notwithstanding, I think that Hawkwind (and the Fairies) were a vital part of the British punk movement. Hell, anyone with a guitar in Britain in the early '70's could handle 'Brainstorm'. And nothing to be ashamed off either.

sunsplash1

Justified & Ancient
My life quest (one of many) is to have a CD of ' Astounding sounds, amazing musc'. Next to The clash's 'Sandanista' that would have to be a favourite album...
8)

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
Trying to drown out the noise of fireworks... so I'm listening to U2- Lemon and I'll be playing The Distillers afterwards.

SoundDust

Justified & Ancient
The Fall - Fall Heads Roll
The Pastels - Truckload of Trouble
Tom 7 - Fake Mars

luvpixie

Junior Acolyte
It was all this nostalgia that made me do it..........ooooooh!
I just listened to Dark side of the Moon.
Still grabs me after all these years....... :D