What Music?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Been listening to a lot of elderly bald, grey.white British stratocasterists. Never realised how much Herr Knopffler looks more and more like Herr Muehler-Stahl.
He still knows how to wring the neck of a Les Paul GT.
I've watched a lot of footage of him playing over the years and I've not yet seen any where he isn't putting all he has into each song.
I'd like to see him live; I'm sure I'd get my money's worth several times over.

skinny

Antediluvian
That Berlin gig would have been awesome. Brothers In Arms should be on every playlist. Album and title track.

skinny

Antediluvian
I've watched a lot of footage of him playing over the years and I've not yet seen any where he isn't putting all he has into each song.
I'd like to see him live; I'm sure I'd get my money's worth several times over.
Watching him, I kind of feel he's trying hard to remember the muse memory that made the playing on the 1985 album so poignant. Misses a few frets. Then he gets caught up in the melody. Where it's all at. Always will haunt me, this track. I love it.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Listening to Soul Music on BBC Radio 4. Each edition is about a different song or piece of music and what it means to various people. Nobody famous, just ordinary folks who have a memory about the tune.
Today it's Joni Mitchell's 'River'.

River

A new series of Soul Music begins with stories of Joni Mitchell's 'River', from her iconic 1971 album Blue. A song about the breakdown of a relationship and of a longing to be elsewhere that has become a melancholy Christmas anthem.

It's coming on Christmas / They're cutting down trees / They're putting up reindeer / And singing songs of joy and peace / Oh I wish I had a river / I could skate away on....
I love that album. Must dig it out.

Next week - Pink Floyd.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Not for purists, but this remix is great because it highlights the incredible drumming going on in the background of the original. It starts of fairly fast, but that's just Pierre Moerlen jogging before the sprint at around 3:40.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Lost a few tiles on re-entry..
Came across some lyrics from this band in a fanfic story I'm reading, and it made me remember how much I like these songs which I'm now playing for the first time in many years...

Now I'm off to find the song that the lyrics are from, to see if I like it too (I don't like all of this band's songs it has to be said).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Listening to Soul Music on BBC Radio 4. Each edition is about a different song or piece of music and what it means to various people. Nobody famous, just ordinary folks who have a memory about the tune.
Today it's Joni Mitchell's 'River'.

River
Just heard that on Gideon Coe's quasi-legendary pre-Christmas show tonight on BBC 6Music. Feeling a bit wistful now.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
A little bit of perspective here. I’d just been left and was going through a messy divorce. I took a short trip to Oxford Street and there was a music store where you took a cd to a booth, scanned in the barcode and put on the headphones to listen.
I picked this and was frozen while I listened to it while watching all the commuters and shoppers passing by.
This made a huge impression on me. It was the moment I realised when you have to let things go and find someting new. Right album. Right time.

For me, a perfect album.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
A little bit of perspective here. I’d just been left and was going through a messy divorce. I took a short trip to Oxford Street and there was a music store where you took a cd to a booth, scanned in the barcode and put on the headphones to listen.
I picked this and was frozen while I listened to it while watching all the commuters and shoppers passing by.
This made a huge impression on me. It was the moment I realised when you have to let things go and find someting new. Right album. Right time.

For me, a perfect album.

Ooh, Escet likes Muse! Think he's seen them a few times.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Different Drum by the Stone Poneys (and yes, that's how it spelt) featuring the unfeasibly beautiful Linda Ronstadt).

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Nobody weird here, just my style icon (no lie)...The mighty Tull!
Ian Anderson, I should say, not the chappie in a not very festive jumper or any other member of the band. I'm very fond of the tight trews and boots look coupled with a waistcoat and hat. Being a girl, I sadly can't stretch to a goatee but I can do the wonky teeth, unkempt hair, and mad eyes. No flute though...

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Memories of lying under a coffee table in the sitting room, pawing at the underside, doing my impression of a tiger every time this was on TOTP or the radio...
why the f*** did I think tigers lay beneath coffee tables?? No idea. But it made my dad laugh uncontrollably, so that's propably it.
Was it a glass-topped coffee table?

GNC

King-Sized Canary

Always bring a lump to my throat for some reason. :tears:
Probably because the bit it accompanies in Highlander is when Heather meets her maker and Connor has to carry on without her, as an immortal who nevertheless spent his whole life with her because he loved her even as she grew old and he stayed the same.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Probably because the bit it accompanies in Highlander is when Heather meets her maker and Connor has to carry on without her, as an immortal who nevertheless spent his whole life with her because he loved her even as she grew old and he stayed the same.
Nope, not that.