What Music?

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
Came across some lyrics from this band in a fanfic story I'm reading, and it made me remember how much I like these songs which I'm now playing for the first time in many years...

Now I'm off to find the song that the lyrics are from, to see if I like it too (I don't like all of this band's songs it has to be said).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Listening to Soul Music on BBC Radio 4. Each edition is about a different song or piece of music and what it means to various people. Nobody famous, just ordinary folks who have a memory about the tune.
Today it's Joni Mitchell's 'River'.

River
Just heard that on Gideon Coe's quasi-legendary pre-Christmas show tonight on BBC 6Music. Feeling a bit wistful now.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
A little bit of perspective here. I’d just been left and was going through a messy divorce. I took a short trip to Oxford Street and there was a music store where you took a cd to a booth, scanned in the barcode and put on the headphones to listen.
I picked this and was frozen while I listened to it while watching all the commuters and shoppers passing by.
This made a huge impression on me. It was the moment I realised when you have to let things go and find someting new. Right album. Right time.

For me, a perfect album.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
A little bit of perspective here. I’d just been left and was going through a messy divorce. I took a short trip to Oxford Street and there was a music store where you took a cd to a booth, scanned in the barcode and put on the headphones to listen.
I picked this and was frozen while I listened to it while watching all the commuters and shoppers passing by.
This made a huge impression on me. It was the moment I realised when you have to let things go and find someting new. Right album. Right time.

For me, a perfect album.

Ooh, Escet likes Muse! Think he's seen them a few times.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Different Drum by the Stone Poneys (and yes, that's how it spelt) featuring the unfeasibly beautiful Linda Ronstadt).

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Nobody weird here, just my style icon (no lie)...The mighty Tull!
Ian Anderson, I should say, not the chappie in a not very festive jumper or any other member of the band. I'm very fond of the tight trews and boots look coupled with a waistcoat and hat. Being a girl, I sadly can't stretch to a goatee but I can do the wonky teeth, unkempt hair, and mad eyes. No flute though...

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Memories of lying under a coffee table in the sitting room, pawing at the underside, doing my impression of a tiger every time this was on TOTP or the radio...
why the f*** did I think tigers lay beneath coffee tables?? No idea. But it made my dad laugh uncontrollably, so that's propably it.
Was it a glass-topped coffee table?

GNC

King-Sized Canary

Always bring a lump to my throat for some reason. :tears:
Probably because the bit it accompanies in Highlander is when Heather meets her maker and Connor has to carry on without her, as an immortal who nevertheless spent his whole life with her because he loved her even as she grew old and he stayed the same.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Probably because the bit it accompanies in Highlander is when Heather meets her maker and Connor has to carry on without her, as an immortal who nevertheless spent his whole life with her because he loved her even as she grew old and he stayed the same.
Nope, not that.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Older and wiser, Mike D and Ad Rock from the Beastie Boys discuss their Licenced To Ill period and Run DMC's Walk This Way, from their touring stage show.

Last edited: