What Music?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Tis always the season for... Radiohead,,,

And because it’s Christmas, I’ll indulge in this yet again...

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Numbingly Comfortable
Been listening to a lot of elderly bald, grey.white British stratocasterists. Never realised how much Herr Knopffler looks more and more like Herr Muehler-Stahl.
He still knows how to wring the neck of a Les Paul GT.
I was searching for some tasty, country, telecaster licks and came across this guy - seemingly turned down Dire Straits and coveted by The Eagles as a replacement for the late Glenn Frey, until Glenn's son 'stepped into his father's shoes'.

Fabulous tele guitar playing...
... :thrash::incan::Givingup:

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Someone told me once that I was just like Slim Shady, I'd never heard of him, his first album was out, she ended up in a car park with me where we smoked a spliff and she played me his tape .. and she crashed my car a few months later after we'd slept together and she amazingly came round to my parents house with paper money to apologise for doing that .. we hadn't been caught and we also both worked at a home for children with behavioural problems and learning difficulties at the time .. I could drag this story out longer ..

skinny

Antediluvian
Been in the drink (the sea) for pretty much the entirety of this heatwave. Cool change just came in after 4 days in the high 30s and 40s. Ahhhhh.

Comfortably Numb

Numbingly Comfortable
Satisfying workout for thrash fans...
:thrash:
This posed an intriguing question... who are attributed as the genesis of same?

Consequent wee look online and yes, as we expected...

'In Europe, the earliest band of the emerging thrash movement was Venom from Newcastle upon Tyne, formed in 1979. Their 1982 album Black Metal has been cited as a major influence on many subsequent genres and bands in the extreme metal world, such as Bathory, Hellhammer, Slayer, and Mayhem'.

So... it's documented as Venom - maybe some of us becoming aware of that for the first time?

Although a band I was, personally, not familiar with at all - this is a live concert:

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered

'In Europe, the earliest band of the emerging thrash movement was Venom from Newcastle upon Tyne, formed in 1979. Their 1982 album Black Metal has been cited as a major influence on many subsequent genres and bands in the extreme metal world, such as Bathory, Hellhammer, Slayer, and Mayhem'.

So... it's documented as Venom - maybe some of us becoming aware of that for the first time?

Although a band I was, personally, not familiar with at all - this is a live concert:

Generally it's attributed to Metallica; Slayer and Anthrax were around at the same time but didn't become what is considered "Thrash" until after their respective debuts. Venom are the most obviously Thrash-y, pre-Thrash band. I think the Canadian band Anvil had one or two faster songs on their first one or two albums that were an influence on Metallica.

Comfortably Numb

Numbingly Comfortable
New Year trivia...!

Would not, of course bring this up unless it was, seriously, a relevant, quite extraordinary story and worthy here.

What is the amazing connection between all three?

201912_161217820.jpg

201912_16114599.jpg

201912_161258979.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Hmm, Venom.

I'm pretty well-disposed towards NWOBHM, but if I'm going to have to listen to a badly recorded novelty album with vocals in a silly accent, there are other themes that appeal to me more than 'SATAN/HELL/WHORE/DEMON/DEATH'--at least they didn't take themselves too seriously.

For example:

Comfortably Numb

Numbingly Comfortable
Another attribution:

'The very first band, where the term “Thrash Metal” was used, had been EXCITER from Canada. And their first album was called “Heavy Metal Maniac” which came out in 1983'.

Anyone?

let's see then...

:huh: Is this an interesting contender...

Comfortably Numb

Numbingly Comfortable
We are all familiar with Tom Jones having a phenomenal voice.

Just browsing there for some Janis Joplin online, maybe new uploads, then came across this - thought it might merit a mention...?

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
They only did two albums, that's the second and the only one I have. They're not up to Godspeed/Mogwai standard but those are pretty much the apex.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
They only did two albums, that's the second and the only one I have. They're not up to Godspeed/Mogwai standard but those are pretty much the apex.
I saw GYBE! in London and the show--not just the music, the whole show--was mind-blowing.

I can't for the life of me figure out which venue it must have been. It was somewhere I've only been once, very modern but somewhere where the nearest connection was an overland tube station--so not central.

Lots of steel and glass inside--like a culture centre--may have since converted or closed down.

Edit: The Ocean in Hackney!

GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR! + KEPLER
London Hackney Ocean 18th March 2002

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
I saw GYBE! in London and the show--not just the music, the whole show--was mind-blowing.

I can't for the life of me figure out which venue it must have been. It was somewhere I've only been once, very modern but somewhere where the nearest connection was an overland tube station--so not central.

Lots of steel and glass--like a culture centre--may have since converted or closed down.

Edit: The Ocean in Hackney!

GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR! + KEPLER
London Hackney Ocean 18th March 2002
Saw them in Coniston Hall, Bristol a few years ago, neglected to see them when they were last here and regret it. I've only seen Mogwai once, in Sydney, in 2002/3, I go through phases of loving them them and then lapse into relative indifference. The last couple of releases have been improvements on the previous three or four.